Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas

10 Dundas Street East,
Toronto, ON M5B 2G9

DavidDymond on March 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I love the long escalator with the optical illusion that you are falling back or going up an elevator shaft. I see nothing wrong the Scotiabank Theatre except the damn name — I hate anything named after such a lousy institution like a bank!! I saw a movie just recently at the AVX auditorium. It was OK. Interesting to note that Cineplex actually retained the AMC management to run this theatre. I never expected that. Usually corporations like to employ their own people!

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on March 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm

On the other hand, I know a number of people who hate that long escalator at the Scotiabank. Just goes to show: you can’t please everyone. But I do agree with your comment.

telliott on March 9, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I know Jon! I love this theatre, but getting to it is awful. I would have expected a lot more for this prime location, they need one of those long escalators right up to the theatre like the Scotiabank has.

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on March 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Last I heard they were to have changed the signs for the first of the year… obviously it didn’t happen. How do first time patrons find the entrance? And speaking of signs, if one is not familiar with the building how do you get to the theatre in that confusing complex? And worse yet, there’s an elevator just a few feet away from the boxoffice, but there isn’t a sign informing patrons that they can simply take the elevator directly to the cinema up on the 4th floor?

telliott on March 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Glad to hear that Jon. I wonder how long it will take to get all the AMC logos etc changed to reflect that this IS now a Cineplex Odeon complex?

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on March 9, 2013 at 11:40 am

I checked out this theatre’s new UltraAVX installation in the former ETX cinema. It’s similar to a digital IMAX auditorium with it’s huge screen. I especially like the decor: dark sky blue carpeting throughout with a sprinkling of white stars, nicely designed dark blue sound baffles on the walls with a large white star in the centre and plush rocker seats with reserved seating in addition to the mind-boggling new Dolby Atmos sound system. There are speakers everywhere… even on the ceiling. Great fun! I really have to give Cineplex/Odeon credit for these super upgrades.

DavidDymond on February 14, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Just visited this former AMC theatre a few weeks ago, now that it is under the direction of Cineplex-Odeon. Usually the chains are all alike but in this venue they STILL do not use real LACTANTIA butter like all the other Cineplex-Galaxy Theatres and I was really annoyed. Saw Hitchcock’s “REAR WINDOW” and it was a nice cinematic experience!!

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on February 14, 2013 at 2:12 pm

This theatre has just been equipped with a Cineplex/Odeon UltraAVX installation. I haven’t seen it yet, but I presume that it’s been installed in what was AMC’s ETX auditorium. I like the AVX upgrades: the seats are extremely comfortable, the presentation is excellent and they’ve even put a bit of thought into the decor which is somewhat unusual in this day and age. I’m reserving a seat this weekend to check it out.

DavidDymond on November 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Cumberland Theatre Closure — I don’t care that Famous Players Cumberland Four is closed. These theatres were nothing theatres as far as I was concerned, and played too arty films and quite frankly had a very weird clientele. As to closing theatres, Famous Players would never sell a theatre to be actively operated as a movie theatre. They would have a convenant on the property that actually forbade showing movies of any sort!! That is how Famous Players controlled everything!

telliott on July 12, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Now officially the Cineplex Odeon Yonge & Dundas cinemas, should be changed on here.

igoudge on June 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Disappointing if not surprising for the switch on the hardware bringing in the gear thats exclusive to the chain, guess we will find out in time for the Imax screens.

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on June 27, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I just heard that AMC will remove all of the Sony 4K projectors throughout the complex when they vacate to make room for the Cineplex takeover. These will more than likely be replaced by Christie machines. I don’t know what will happen with the IMAX auditorium but I doubt that Cineplex would get rid of it.

igoudge on June 23, 2012 at 6:58 am

One thing I am very interested in since I have taken advantage a lot of it in recent years is if the $6 promotion will carry over to Cineplex for the matinees.

igoudge on June 23, 2012 at 6:57 am

I am defintely leary especially when it comes to the Yonge and Dundas as to changes to the feel of the theatre. I am sure the ETX theatre in the back at some point will be “changed” to the AVX. But only time will tell. As for the art house theatre idea now that the cumberland has closed and this deal now has come through it makes even more sense for Varsity to take over that mantra, so see what happens

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on June 23, 2012 at 6:39 am

I agree with your comment. Now that the Cumberland is gone that would certainly make sense. Consequently, all of the big commercial films should open at the Y&D 24 with its totally up-to-date facilities: superior 4K digital projection, great sound, comfortable stadium seating, IMAX presentations, clean and plentiful washroom facilities, pleasant movie-themed decor along with genuinely friendly and helpful staff. I hope Cineplex recognizes what a great addition this venue will be to their chain of theatres and doesn’t make too many arbitrary changes.

telliott on June 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I’m also wondering Jon, now that Cineplex will have the Y&D 24 AND the Scotiabank if they will put more arty type films in at the Varisty to partially fill the void left by the closure of the Cumberland Four? I mean right now the Varsity is the ONLY venue left in that whole area that was once RICH with theatres.

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on June 22, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I think it happened when they decided to build plexes and chuck the wonderful old theatres we used to go to: the Carlton, Imperial, Loew’s, Loew’s Uptown, the University, etc. It was a real adventure going to the movies then. On the other hand, the plexes have their advantages too. Don’t like a movie? Skip down the hall and try another one. 3-D giving you a headache? There’s always the standard version showing in another auditorium. Things change and we’ve obviously adapted.

telliott on June 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Well if that’s the case then they better close the Silvercity, the Winston Churchill is waaaay nicer and has more screens.

What puzzles me is this competition business that you can’t have too many Cineplex or Empires in one area, remember the days when Famous Players had 5 different theatre buildings in the Yonge/Bloor area or the Sheraton Centre twin right around the corner and up the street from the Imperial Six? When did all that change?

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on June 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

At this stage nothing would surprise me. Maybe they’ll simply close the Winston Churchill site and sell if off for anything but a movie theatre. Great way to make sure they’ll have zero competition in the area.

telliott on June 22, 2012 at 9:28 am

I am too Jon, should be interesting. I’m a bit surprised that Empire didn’t snap this up to get a downtown location and have more screens than Cineplex has at Scotiabank. I’m also a bit puzzled that Cineplex is taking over the Winston Churchill 24 in Oakville, which is literally down the street from it’s Silvercity Mississauga location. Maybe they will sell that one to Empire?

Jon Lidolt
Jon Lidolt on June 22, 2012 at 7:03 am

I’m looking forward to the conversion of the AMC Yonge & Dundas into a Cineplex venue since it’s my favorite cinema in Toronto. Maybe now they’ll be able to show everything that’s available. There’s been some strange business going on which kept a lot of good product from screening in this super venue.

John Fink
John Fink on June 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm

….speaking of Cineplex. This one is slated to become a Cineplex location along with 4 AMC’s in the GTA and one in QB. Two AMCs are going to Empire and two might just close all together.

igoudge on January 2, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Yeah I believe Rainbow has a bunch of former Cineplex management running hence which is probably why the preference for venues taken over.

telliott on September 10, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Rainbow cinemas took over Market Square long before Famous Players was sold. Rainbow took over June 2003 and none of the former Famous Players were sold to Rainbow. All of the Rainbow buys over the years have been former Cineplex Odeons.

LondonBuff on September 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm

The Market Square Cinemas were built and operated by Cineplex Odeon. When they took over Famous Players they were required to divest themselves of a certain number of theatres to reduce their dominance in Canadian exhibition to what the government considered a reasonable level. Some of their theatres were sold to Rainbow Cinemas, a mainly Western Canada small chain, and others to Empire Cinemas, an Eastern chain.