ABC Blackpool

130-140 Church Street,
Blackpool, FY1 3PR

Jeffrey Morris
Jeffrey Morris on June 12, 2011 at 6:01 am

What a shame that this venue is no longer operating as a cinema or theatre.

My first visit here was in either 1971 or 1973 while on a coach trip from the Welsh valleys to see the Blackpool Illuminations. At that time the venue was known as the ABC Princess and during our visit the ABC was in use for live performances although movies were being advertised in the foyer as future attractions once the Summer/Autumn season was over with.

Our visit was to see a stage show with starring Cilla Black. To us valley types at that time the auditorium was pure luxury and the stage presentation exceptional at that time. To me it would have been unthinkable to convert the venue from one auditorium to split screens. The facade was certainly late sixties and appeared to be covering the original structure.

keiths
keiths on June 6, 2011 at 10:05 am

Thankyou abcman. Looking at your pics of the operahouse, you are, of course, quite right – it WAS a long time ago, after all. However, I DID see a summer show at the ABC, but now can’t remember who it was for the life of me!

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on November 25, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Pictures and other material relating to the original Hippodrome/ABC theater: View link

abcman
abcman on November 24, 2009 at 8:09 am

Sorry Keith, but Brucie & Millie appeared at the Opera House not the ABC otherwise I agree with what you say.

keiths
keiths on November 4, 2009 at 7:22 am

I attended a summer show at the ABC on one occasion, featuring Bruce Forsyth and Millicent Martin. My opinion of both of them increased dramatically as a result.

terry
terry on August 11, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Tony Hancock took over from Mike and Bernie Winters as compere of the weekly tv variety show at the ABC Theatre, but he was on the wane by this time and did not fare very well – Bruce Forsyth took over from him for a few shows.

I actually think this clip is very funny…………………….

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on September 30, 2008 at 9:39 am

A vintage photograph of the ABC Theatre, taken in September 1963, four months after opening:
Photographed in colour in 1969: