Strand Theater

527 Duval Street,
Key West, FL 33040

Jazij1
Jazij1 on August 12, 2006 at 11:11 pm

I used to work at the Strand back in the early 90’s when it was a nightclub (quiet as its kept I used to live there temporaily). Famous reggae bands used to perform there and 2 legendary Female Impersonators Ms. Tiffany Arieagus a former Miss Continental http://gay-guide.com/tiffany/intro.htm (whom inspired me to be who I am today). and Ms. Coco Vega View link who does a fab Pattie Labelle, also a local favorite at the time Ms. Sasha Sterling who won the Miss Copa pageant I hear that club is gone too. I was planning a trip back to Key West and found this website about the Strand. I cant believe they sold it to Ripleys and now Walgreens. Well at least the La Te Da is still open for sunday tea dances. by the way the “catwalk” was how u got to the dj booth if I remember correctly. Just so yall know the Strand was a “straight” nightclub who just happend to have a gay manager who liked to have drag shows once in awhile afterall Key West used to be the Gay Capitol back in tha day.

Peace! Jazi:)

Bway
Bway on June 19, 2006 at 1:08 pm

Did this theater have a small balcony? I am trying to figure out what the “catwalk” in the back of this theater (now the store) was when it was a theater.

Patsy on March 26, 2006 at 12:26 am

ken: Yes, better half than none and the exterior was beautifully restored so that’s a good thing.

Bway
Bway on March 26, 2006 at 12:19 am

From the photos prior to Walgreens buying it, it appeard the building was in pretty sorry shape. Even the marquee was destroyed/removed for some reason. They probably were required to recreate the marquee (which they did a beautiful job on), and restore the exterior (also beautifully done). However, the interior may have already been trashed. (Anyone know if any theater ornamentation remained in the Ripley days?). I was also in Key West in 1998, and Ripleys was open then, but didn’t go to it.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 26, 2006 at 12:17 am

Better half than none.

Patsy on March 26, 2006 at 12:01 am

Bway: Thanks for your onsight report though sad to read that there is little left on the inside that ‘is theatre’. I would love to know the story on how Walgreens was able to acquire this property without the preservationists putting up a fight!

Bway
Bway on March 25, 2006 at 9:06 pm

I was in the theater back in january, yes the floor was definitely leveled off. That may have already been done for the Ripleys. The opening comments are no longer accurate, as there are no wooden floors (it’s just standard white linoleum tiles like any store has), and I there’s no “lobby” anymore or original tiles that were in the lobby unfortunately. The ceiling is high, but it’s just plain regular drop ceiling tiles, and florecent lighting (like you would see in any store). There is a balcony in the back, with a railing around it, and that is opened to the windows out front, allowing natural daylight into the “store” from above. The back of the store has been opened up to the stage area, and that has a lower normal heigh ceiling. Little if any original elements of the theater interior survive.
The outside has been beautifully restored, but there is little left on the interior.

Patsy on March 25, 2006 at 2:06 pm

ken: This is a great night show and closeup as you can see a Walgreens customer exited the store with the shelves in the background. I don’t have any immediate plans to visit the Keys, but if I were to go I’d have to check out this former theatre and try not to voice my personal opinions. It’s a shame that Key West allowed this to happen to their unique pastel theatre! One thing for sure is that they would have had to level the slanted floor!

Patsy on February 7, 2006 at 11:55 pm

Bway: It’s been a long time since my post and yours so it was good to see a recent photo of the Strand and your on site visual report. The Walgreens sign appears to have been nicely done and does seem to be color coordinated with the former Strand colors, but I do wish it were still……a theatre! Am glad that Walgreens chose to keep the original theatre facade, but perhaps a Key West historical group told them they had to do so.

Bway
Bway on February 7, 2006 at 11:29 pm

The Strand actually looks quite good. I was by it about two weeks ago, and aside from the Walgreens side on the side of the marquee, it still looks like a theater. The Walgreens company did a terrific job of recreating the old marquee. In fact, I had no idea it was not original until I saw the photos linked in this thread, and in them there was no marquee.
Anyway, I went inside, and there is not too much remaining from the theater to tell it was a theater unfortunately. Not much ornamentation at all. However, I have no idea what the theater looked like to begin with inside, nor how ornate the interior was to begin with.
Anwyay, here’s the link to a photo:

Click here for link to photo

Patsy on October 25, 2005 at 9:31 pm

I wonder how the Walgreens Drugstore (former Strand) weathered Wilma?

dmerritt
dmerritt on March 29, 2005 at 12:15 am

Coni Carbonell – Yes, Donna Braziel. It is so sad that someone in Key West did not take action to preserve the Strand. Hope you are well. Donna

Patsy on March 26, 2005 at 3:56 am

THIS theatre with its colorful facade should have been purchased. Someone should have organized a Friends of the Strand like in other communities that go forward to save old theatres. The fact that this theatre was allowed to get into the hands of Ripley’s Believe It or Not and then into the hands of Walgreens was an absolute CRIME! The folks of Key West should hang their heads in shame!

RobertR
RobertR on March 4, 2005 at 4:07 pm

There is a pic here from when it was for sale

ConiYoung
ConiYoung on February 21, 2005 at 2:26 am

Donna Merritt: My father, Iggy Carbonell, owned and ran the Strand. I have such fond memories of the Old Strand. Even when Rippley’s brought it they tore down some of the beautiful Spanish tile that was part of the ticket booth and the fountain in the lobby by the candy counter. Thanks to everyone who have said such wonderful things about the Strand. I also will never forget the William Gambles Jewlery neon clock down below the curtain. Donna Merrit would that be formerly Brazil?
Coni Carbonell

Patsy on February 15, 2005 at 3:36 am

If anyone has any current news on the Strand in Key West, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

deleted user
[Deleted] on February 15, 2005 at 3:29 am

Drive in theatre is movie theatre. Why would you want to exclude them from here. That is just discrimination and I very much loathe discrimination in any form. Any type of theatre should be welcome here this not only for some elite people.

Patsy on February 15, 2005 at 2:34 am

And if Walgreens intends to make it a pharmacy I sure hope they keep the unique facade! At least do that Mr. Walgreens!

Patsy on February 15, 2005 at 2:31 am

lostmemory: I agree and btw, what is the link for the drive-in website as it would be fun to visit. Thanks.

Patsy on February 14, 2005 at 10:42 pm

Dawn has posted on CT so perhaps you’ve read her words on the Grand Theatre/Westfield NY link since her father onced owned and operated that hometown theatre.

Patsy on February 14, 2005 at 10:39 pm

lostmemory: Where did you see this promo or ad written by Dawn Kirsch? She is Joe’s daughter. And as far as adding drive-ins to this cinema website perhaps we should ask the founders of the site and see what they prefer.

Patsy on February 14, 2005 at 9:57 pm

Well, all I know is that there are drive-in theatres listed and many have them are included on personal profile links so I don’t have a problem with including them.

teecee
teecee on February 14, 2005 at 8:57 pm

Question to all: Should we be adding drive inns to this site?
I think that they are adequately covered by other web sites dedicated to drive inns. In addition, the founders of CT have excluded them from their book.