Logan Theatre

2646 N. Milwaukee Avenue,
Chicago, IL 60647

Broan
Broan on December 1, 2008 at 9:38 pm

They definitely have an auditorium photo from shortly after opening.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on December 1, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Call these guys on the telephone. It is quite likely that they have something:

Kringle
Kringle on December 1, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Hey, if anyone has any further in-depth details of the history of this theatre, I am working on a project about it and would love more info. Links or otherwise. What year were the screens split up? etc. Are there any photos of the inside before renovation?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

studiobrian
studiobrian on February 28, 2008 at 3:05 pm

be aware…the public lot behind mcdonald’s is indeed a PAY lot…there are no meters, instead you must purchase a paper window ticket from the kiosk next to what was once the manned pay booth (located across lot from mcdonald’s at side street entrance)…meter maids are more prone to check during biz hours as this is the lot adjacent to logan square subway station…

GFeret
GFeret on February 27, 2008 at 8:24 pm

There’s a city lot north of LOGAN (behind the McDonalds across Milwaukee) that, if it has meters, me ‘n my car never notice them. So (free) parking’s never been an issue. Public transportation users get off the CTA Blue Line @ Logan Square stop (Kedzie Ave exit south side of Milwaukee) and you’re practically at the LOGAN’s front door. (These points alluded to in above posts).

My memories of this place go back to the LOGAN vs. the HARDING days, and the latter threw in the towel around 1961. The (mens) washroom, with bathtub-sized urinals, has a blaringly huge ventilation fan that hasn’t ceased running since about that time.

The place is clean, bright, and questions of safety aren’t apparent to me so I can recomment LOGAN almost without reservation. Management/employees are polite to a fault. 2nd runs, with the occasional double-feature (!), with no duplication between (4) screens. Even limited release titles, like WAITRESS, INTO THE WILD, LARS AND THE REAL GIRL, and GOOD NIGHT & GOOD LUCK have made their mark here.

So what’s my itty-bitty reservation? No trailers at the LOGAN. Boo-hoo!

studiobrian
studiobrian on August 26, 2007 at 7:55 am

Here is a recent image of the Logan Theater.

Broan
Broan on May 6, 2007 at 5:00 pm

You can find metered parking relatively easily and there’s a city metered lot across the street, tucked away a bit.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on May 6, 2007 at 4:37 am

Is there any free parking nearby?

Chrisk36
Chrisk36 on April 23, 2007 at 12:05 pm

I don’t live far and visit the Logan on the average of twice monthly. As a retiree you can’t beat the 3 buck admission.

Saw Wild Hogs last week during the day of course. Really don’t go in the evening much. Waiting to see if Zodiac appears.

As far as the neighborhood as most keep changing. As with my ‘hood which is Humboldt Park, property values rising but that’s another subject.

ctd
ctd on April 16, 2007 at 12:45 pm

This was my main neighborhood theater in the 70s. I saw “Game of Death”, “The Omen”, “Alien”, and dozens of other great movies there when I was a kid.

In the 80s the Logan became a a genuine lowbrow entertainment multiplex, with really sticky floors and lively heckling. The last film I saw there was “Cyborg” (with Jean-Claude VanDamme) in the summer of ‘89. People were smoking, moving around, yelling at the screen, the whole nine yards that night.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on February 20, 2007 at 1:21 am

I have had to drive by this place on a regular basis lately. In the 80’s & 90’s they lit up the veritcal sign. It blinked LOGAN off and on in pink neon. All the letters blinked off and on at the same time. It was well-maintained back then. The letters never flickered. Now they don’t turn it on anymore, although the marquee is still maintained. The chaser motor went out a couple of weeks ago and they paid to have it fixed.

mp775
mp775 on January 24, 2007 at 8:26 pm

Screen (at least in Theater 3, but I think they’re all about the same) was a good size. I noticed no obvious problems with the picture or sound, but there was one abrupt scene change that was probably a bad splice; I won’t know for sure until it I see it again on video. There was also one crying baby in the auditorium – but my wife hustled him out to Ladies' Lounge very quickly :).

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on January 18, 2007 at 3:36 am

How big are the screens? How is the sound and picture quality? As long as the screens don’t look like this, View link I might finally go see Rocky Balboa here.

mp775
mp775 on January 12, 2007 at 12:58 pm

I saw Stranger than Fiction at the Logan last night (in Theater 3), and while talking to the manager after the show, learned that the scene in wich Harold Crick is watching Monty Python’s Meaning of Life was filmed right there in Theater 1! He also says the original auditorium is intact behind the quadding. The staff and other customers were all very friendly, and concessions are inexpensive.

Broan
Broan on January 8, 2007 at 9:11 pm

It’s pretty clean, crowds, I think depends on the show.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on January 8, 2007 at 5:37 pm

I’ve never been here. Has anybody been here recently? Are the floors clean? How are the crowds, obnoxiuous or respectful? My girlfriend and I are considering going here.

Logan Square was once considered a rough area, but apparantly it is not becoming “Yuppy-ized.”

Broan
Broan on December 4, 2006 at 2:08 am

Here are photos of this theater.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on September 10, 2006 at 10:28 pm

Very cool place to see a film when it was one large auditorium. Usual deal: it was painted grey front to back by the time I visited. Was there once after they split it up. Not nearly as cool. But it is nice to see an old-time neighborhood theatre continue to operate.

Broan
Broan on April 26, 2006 at 1:49 pm

How on earth did the Logan survive with the Harding virtually next door?

baffled
baffled on June 13, 2005 at 9:40 pm

The seats are a little lumpy but otherwise this is still a great place to see a movie for $3, plus refreshments are cheap and the A/C’s cold! Lets hope they resist the gentrification mania creeping all around the Logan Square area.

kimel0001
kimel0001 on January 24, 2005 at 8:22 am

Love it. Looks like it did from the day that it first opened as a 4-plex movie house (I can only guess of course as I am only 31). There is much more to a movie experience than the movie itself (as you well know), and the Logan has much more. Everything from the black and white tile in the bathrooms to the wooden armrests on the seating to the side lighting is circa 1950. You will never get this type of experience from going to a modern suburban type of theatre. Fantastic neighborhood theatre. This is my favorite theatre for a 2nd run movie. I hope the operators/owners keep it just the way it is and continue to run it for a long time. Best of luck to you.

doctormino
doctormino on November 27, 2004 at 12:16 am

I'ts a nice comfortable place to watch a movie, it cost less than other theatres, and the ushers are gentlemanly. It’s in the logan square neighborhood and very easy to get to. Take the blue line to logansquare exit on the Kedzie end and it’s less than a block away (there is a Mcdonalds across the street).

markymark
markymark on July 7, 2004 at 10:31 pm

They made me get a note from my mother to see The Omen here in the mid 1970s. It was a cool vintage theater before the split.