State Theatre

212 S. Michigan Street,
South Bend, IN 46601

spectrum
spectrum on October 19, 2008 at 3:40 am

The link from two messages above is incorrect. Here is the correct link:

jimvid
jimvid on April 30, 2008 at 9:36 pm

The State Theater now serves at the Life Church:

jackshaw
jackshaw on November 29, 2006 at 12:30 am

after restoration, the State was a great movie experience. Took the family to see Independence Day . Beautiful restoration. Hope they re-open as a classic movie theater. Like to see some of my old favorites on the big screen. Bogart, John Wayne, Hitchcock Jim Stewart and so on.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on August 6, 2006 at 3:48 am

Not relating to the State, I wanted to mention that Brother Andrew was a good man.

npmolnar
npmolnar on August 4, 2006 at 12:50 pm

The South Bend Tribune had two articles about the State Theater today. Reportedly, it’ll be a cultural center with a Christian influence. It should be interesting to see if it works in the downtown setting. South Bend has made a concerted effort to revitalize the downtown and this could be the acid test. Take a look at http://www.bendareablog.com for a little more info and links.

mamahootie
mamahootie on August 2, 2006 at 12:49 am

STATE THEATRE UPDATE!
My friends, the State has been purchased (July 2006) and will reopen to the public for one day, September 7th during ArtBeat 2006 for a grand estate sale. All proceeds will go to the renovation of the State Theatre which has lost its lustre over the years of neglect, abuse and water damage. You can keep up with its progress, read press releases, news stories plus view photos at www.LifeAtTheState.com

barrygoodkin
barrygoodkin on April 3, 2006 at 6:20 pm

My friend & colleague, the late Brother Andrew Corsini, one of the founders of the Theatre Historical Society, indicated to me that the State originally opened as the Blackstone and was designed by the architectural firm of Newhouse & Bernham. It opened on January 29, 1921. On opening it had a Kimball 2 manual organ.

kwilson
kwilson on March 25, 2006 at 9:42 pm

On June 30, 1934 John Dillinger and his gang robbed their last bank in the same block where the State stands. A shootout with the Police took place in the street. It’s said that some of the bullets hit the upper facade of the State. I’ve stood in front of the State and with the aid of binoculars, I saw what could be patched bullet holes. I don’t know for sure, but I can’t rule it out.

BillHunt
BillHunt on December 29, 2005 at 12:45 pm

The State Theatre in Downtown South Bend, IN is now closed. It has gone through foreclosure and is availible for sale through Prudential One Realty Commercial Division. E-mail Bill Hunt for listing at

Bill Hunt