Symphony Space/Leonard Nimoy Thalia Theatre

250 W. 95th Street,
New York, NY 10025

Astyanax
Astyanax on September 4, 2010 at 10:00 am

Snagging a copy of the Thalia’s schedule in the 1960’s was a rite of summer. One could spend hours poring over the incredible scheduling of classic double features. Mind boggling that this could be done before the advent of the PC. In addition, acquiring the film rentals must have been a mammoth task in itself. Although I’m a packrat, it’s unlikely that any of these schedules survived in my packing boxes nearly 50 years later.

bobob
bobob on September 4, 2010 at 5:20 am

Does anyone have a copy of the Thalia’s summer schedule from the 50’s???
People don’t believe me when I tell them about the different daily double features of the very best movies made.
If you do, please contact me.
Bobob

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on March 3, 2010 at 6:16 pm

The Thalia dates back to 1931.

Ross Care
Ross Care on February 11, 2010 at 11:52 pm

I also loved the Regency which was down Broadway a ways.

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on February 11, 2010 at 2:23 pm

For years I performed with “The Christmas Revels” at Symphony Space, both before and after its make-over (indeed in my “Who’s Who” for other shows, I had proudly stated “He has performed at the Symphony Theatre on Broadway”!). I liked the old Symphony Space and all its charm, as well as the surrounding neighborhood. In my last years there, the whole place had taken on a kind of sterility.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 11, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Maybe should have been called the Spock cinema.

Ross Care
Ross Care on February 6, 2010 at 2:09 am

I had a buddy on West End Avenue at 97th and it was great to be able to walk down to see a film (or films) at the old Thalia and to eat Chinese on Broadway before or afterwards. It was a sweet theater and a great period. (The Beatles had just released Magical Mystery Tour).

There is an Edward Hopper painting of an usherette leaning against the wall of a dimly lit theater that always reminds me of the Thalia.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 15, 2010 at 2:02 pm

The Symphony was already open in 1918.
The Thalia was already open in 1932.

artpf
artpf on December 13, 2009 at 5:35 pm

The original Thalia was a super great theatre

Used to go there all the time in the late 70s/early 80s. They poured soda out of a 2 liter bottle!

JimmyD
JimmyD on May 14, 2009 at 7:39 am

Thanks for the links, interesting pics of the location.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 14, 2009 at 7:25 am

Two more photos here, including one showing how the Thalia was situated around the corner from what was originally the Symphony Theatre. I don’t know why the two theatres share a listing here. They should each have a listing of their own, since their cinematic histories were separate and different: View link

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on April 13, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Is this the Thalia on 95th?

bflonyguy
bflonyguy on March 6, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I lived in the neighborhood in the 70s/80s. I remember I always felt disoriented when I walked in. Rather than entering from the back of the house, you’d open the door and be standing in the side aisle in the dark. The screen was on your right, I believe, and I’d feel confused. Every time.

mda38
mda38 on February 19, 2009 at 7:58 am

Was the Thalia Soho that ran in the early 1990s on Varick Street at all linked to the Thalia? It had an ever-changing program. Frankly, a terrible theater, but always wondered if there was a link.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 7, 2009 at 10:51 am

In May, 1941, you could be branded a sissy for staying away from this “Twin Terror Show” at the Thalia: View link

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on December 13, 2008 at 1:09 pm

The live opera screening of DON CARLO which played here last week made it to Variety’s top grossing movies list with a $5567 per screen average. This is an important landmark in alternative movie theatre use and digital projection.

hardbop
hardbop on July 2, 2008 at 1:49 pm

1987 was a tough year for revival houses in New York City. The Thalia closed on May 10, 1987. The last double-bill was Paisan and Night of the Shooting Stars.

I saw many double-bills here in the 1980s. I remember seeing Carrie paired with Smile. I wish I could remember what I saw.

Champlin
Champlin on June 29, 2008 at 6:21 am

I’m looking for first hand accounts of seeing The Night Porter at this theater in connection with film history research I am engaged in. Anyone with memories of The Night Porter, however vague, please feel free to get in touch with me. .co.uk

edblank
edblank on June 1, 2008 at 2:28 pm

I have many happy memories of catching oup on American and foreign classics on double bills, so often linked by star, director or theme, from 1967 through the 1980s. What an odd little theater with its upward slope and its audience of diehard movie buffs. There was something of an adventure about going there.

MaxFrost
MaxFrost on October 23, 2007 at 2:30 pm

Does anyone who went to the Thalia in the early 80s, realize (or remember) that Viggo Mortensen was a ticket taker there for a couple of years?

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on April 26, 2007 at 7:08 am

Intersting ad for a 1930s “Cinema Cavalcade” week at the Thalia and typical of the kinds of programs you might expect to see here. I believe this program dates to the 1970s. Could be earlier.

faberfranz
faberfranz on February 26, 2007 at 11:48 am

The place was PACKED last week (Sunday afternoon) for a couple of Marx Brothers films!

Oddly, I found the Matinee Idol tenor’s singing…moving. Stirred up something deep from my childhood, I guess.