Fox Theatre

6508 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Bway
Bway on August 19, 2009 at 8:26 am

Socal, you are so correct about those idiotic trees. It’s amazing how cities don’t think or use common sense when doing their jobs, such as planting trees. I love trees as much as anyone, but it’s utterly idiotic that these trees were planted up against the marquees of the theaters to begin with.
We just were talking about this in the Gramercy Theater page too in NY, where they just planted a tree up against the marquee of that theater. See here:

In a few years that tree will cause the same ridiculousness as the Hollywood Blvd Theaters. So it’s not just Hollywood, they have no common sense in NY either. Look at the July/August comments here in the Gramercy Theater page:

/theaters/6113/

socal09
socal09 on August 18, 2009 at 6:01 pm

The diner ‘Sweet Love Hangover’ opened in the lobby of the Fox theater today. Very nice design and cool mirrored ceiling which extends through the glass under the old marquee. The rest of the building is now the popular Playground nighclub. All traces of the theater are gone except for the restored marquee. Nice to have this simple diner added to a still decrepit Hollywood Blvd and saving the facade of this once crumbling movie theater.

monika
monika on August 16, 2009 at 8:06 pm

I’m all for moving those trees to a more appropriate location! I’ve got a shovel……

Scott
Scott on August 12, 2009 at 9:58 am

Now there is an interesting approach to grammar and punctuation.

onthepot
onthepot on August 12, 2009 at 9:11 am

Growing Up in Hollywood in the 60s This was The “ Iris” my local Movie House it was well Run by Mann Theaters & I believe Carol Burnett worked there in the Box Office after leaving Hollywood High in late 50s They showed alot of Disney Movies, architectural wise it was built for Motion Pictures as there was no Stage no Balcony

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on July 26, 2009 at 7:51 pm

I thought the grand opening took place earlier in July. Maybe some celebrities showed up at midnight and that was the reason for the cameras.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on July 26, 2009 at 7:34 pm

LM, it only opened recently as a nightclub. What Ken saw was probably the kind of trendy event you get at trendy nightclubs.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on July 26, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I thought this was already a nightclub.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 26, 2009 at 5:12 pm

There was an event at the Fox last night, perhaps a nightclub opening. Around midnight there were cameras outside and a line of people waiting to get in.

monika
monika on July 25, 2009 at 9:47 am

I was going to post a June 2009 photo I took of the Fox from across the street; it is very similar to the second link hollywood90038 posted just above so I’ll refrain.

Whatever the intended use, I must say that I was pleased to see the Fox without the front boarded up like it had been these past years.

Pine
Pine on May 28, 2009 at 5:37 am

A good site to look at is “The Great Hollywood Hangover” site. Many photos on there, most from my era The 1960’s.

Bway
Bway on May 26, 2009 at 8:58 am

Oh good, I like that idea better. It would have been sad to see it go to a strip club.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on May 26, 2009 at 8:26 am

No, Bway, just a regular old trendy nightclub.

Bway
Bway on May 26, 2009 at 7:48 am

So what is it, a strip club? I guess anything is better than the abandoned dump it had been.
Anyone have a current photo of the exterior?

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on May 24, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Ken, you just need to have a Facebook account…

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 22, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I think you need a password for that.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on May 22, 2009 at 12:06 pm

You’ve jumped the gun a bit. The website seems to have gone live in May, but the calendar’s events are all “TBD.” They don’t say when the club will officially open.

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on May 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I went by this place today, and they’re obviously working on it. The front has been cleaned up, the marquee has been redone, and there was activity inside. Big difference from the last time I saw the place.

Bway
Bway on May 18, 2009 at 7:50 am

…many changes, and no ridiculously placed trees right in front of the marquee!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 16, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Here is a February 14, 1955 ad from the LA Times:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 14, 2009 at 5:45 am

It looks like there was some changes to the marquee between 1954 and 1956.

Pine
Pine on May 14, 2009 at 5:36 am

When I worked there, starting summer of 69, the front was the same as above photo 1983. Thanks again for your photos.