Paris Theatre

4 West 58th Street,
New York, NY 10019

atmos
atmos on May 13, 2010 at 6:11 am

The 1948/49 Theatre Catalog lists the architects as James J.Murno and Warner-Leeds Associates.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 15, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Universal Pictures has announced that the World Premiere of the Nancy Myers comedy It’s Complicated will take place at the Paris Theatre in New York City on Wednesday, December 9, 2009.
Attending the event will be writer/director/producer Nancy Meyers; producer Scott Rudin; cast members Meryl Streep, Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin, John Krasinski, Lake Bell, Mary Kay Place, Rita Wilson, Alexandra Wentworth, Hunter Parrish, Zoe Kazan and Caitlin Fitzgerald; executive producer Suzanne Farwell.

Additional celebrity guests include Christine Baranski, Tom Hanks, Gayle King, Justin Kirk, Elias Koteas, Mary-Louise Parker, Jerry Seinfeld, George Stephanopoulos, and more.

Celebrities are scheduled to arrive at 7pm and the screening begins at 8pm.

TPH
TPH on November 7, 2009 at 11:57 am

Any rationale for the expense of a full-page ad on the back cover of a recent NY Times Magazine (Sunday) on behalf of the Paris? Great retelling of the theater’s history; makes you thankful that Sony gave up it’s lease years back. Can’t imagine an AMC Paris.

Also, from the Variety article cited above, it’s curious that the Angelica is considered the City Cinemas' prime showcase. I’m sure the Angelica outgrosses Cinema 1,2,3, but that site used to be the leader of the pack.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 5, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Article about City Cinemas taking over, after 12 years from Jeffrey Jacobs who booked the films and managed the theater after Sony (Loews) departed:

fanoffilm
fanoffilm on August 24, 2009 at 11:30 pm

The projectionist union is picketing the Beekman and Paris theaters.

fanoffilm
fanoffilm on August 18, 2009 at 7:04 am

I was just told by staff that the Paris and The Beekman (formerly NY 1+2) have been signed over to City Cinemas.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on April 8, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Yes, last Friday, “Paris 36” followed “The Reader”

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 27, 2009 at 6:56 am

“The Reader” continues a long run here, having begun December 10.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 26, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Photos of December 7, 2008 premiere of “Doubt” at the Paris Theatre:

MPol
MPol on November 13, 2008 at 7:39 am

Beautiful article. Thanks for sharing.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on September 5, 2008 at 1:57 am

Gerald,

Would you mind if I used your add of Gold of Naples or La Fuga ads on my blog? It’s an movie website and one of my sections is dedicated to classic movies theaters anchored by photos I have taken. With the 60th anniversary of the Paris coming up next week I am adding this theater to the blog and thought the ads would be a good illustration. Here’s a link.

RobertR
RobertR on May 27, 2008 at 5:57 am

I remember playing Vincent and Theo at the Cinemart and getting complaints about the dialogue being muffled and inaudible. I guess it was no different at the Paris.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on May 27, 2008 at 3:52 am

This 1954 Italian film, featuring a young Sophia Loren in one episode, opened at the Paris in early 1957, shorn of two of its six episodes.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 27, 2008 at 3:47 am

I sit in the balcony, have for many movies now, never missed a word of dialogue. Sound is great, in my opinion, in the Paris.

edblank
edblank on May 26, 2008 at 9:34 pm

The Paris almost certainly is the single-screen art house I’ve visited most often in NYC, partly because it was such a classy high-grossing theater and therefore had access to the choicest bookings.

I had just returned from Vietnam to be discharged from the Army at Fort Dix and headed straight for nine days in NYC in August 1967 for a movie and Broadway binge (I was a whole year behind on movies and had seen only a couple of Broadway shows previously, so I was a kid in a candy store) before embarking on the rest of my life.

The first movie I saw after dropping off my duffle bag in a cheap hotel was “A Man and a Woman,” which I was aware was in its 52nd week at the Paris. Since then I’ve seen several dozen fine movies there including “Howards End,” “Remains of the Day,” “The Browning Version” and “Ladies in Lavender.”

One couldn’t help but notice over the years that the patrons were invariably older and more likely to dress up a little to go to the movies.

The only mildly negative experience I ever had at the Paris was when I attended “Vincent and Theo” and noticed that the balcony was open. (Is it always open?) Anyway, I decided to make that moviegoing experience a bit different by watching Altman’s film from the balcony. To my dismay, I could hardly make out the dialogue at all.

No one else here has indicated having a hearing problem in the Paris' balcony, so the acoustical problem that afternoon may have been a fluke, occurring only in a specific area of the balcony. That can happen, for example, if few orchestra seats are occupied and the sound lines somehow are caught off kilter.

The longtime manager of a bygone Pittsburgh legitimate theater/playhouse called the Nixon once explained there were a couple of acoustical dead spots in the front mezz of his theater. Later I found that was true in other theaters, especially in their balconies.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 20, 2008 at 12:13 pm

jacobs entertainment is the film buyer for my theater so talk with them daily..

LuisV
LuisV on February 20, 2008 at 11:08 am

Thanks LI, that makes me happy. I think New York has the best chance of keeping the Paris as an active movie house when it’s in the hands of a billionaire who has lots of other money and doesn’t need another source of major cash.

I kind of have the same thoughts about the Fisher family owning the Ziegfeld. I would hope that they realize what a treasure that theater is and would not sell it or gut it just for profit. I understand that it is under a long term land lease, but I’m not sure how long it is for. I guess that is for discussion on The Ziegfeld’s page. I would just hope that it is landmarked before that lease is up.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 20, 2008 at 8:36 am

Solow does still own tbe theater.It is managed by Jacobs Entertainment.

LuisV
LuisV on February 20, 2008 at 6:18 am

So is this theater still operated by Solow? The site of the Paris has to be one of the most valuable retail sites in the city; especially now that the Plaza has been redone. The Solow Tower gets some of the highest office rents in the city and it is obvious that Solow (if in fact he still runs the Paris) he is not totally focussed on money. Anybody else who held the Paris probably would have sold out to retail a long time ago. Hopefully, The Paris will be around for decades to come. Like many comments above, I agree that this small house shows that you don’t have to be big to be a palace. This intimate theater is about understated elegance and it is a pleasure to see a film in.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on February 3, 2008 at 2:37 am

This obscure film from Italy (La Fuga, about a lesbian relationship), played here in March 1966.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on February 2, 2008 at 6:39 pm

The lease had expired and the landlord had no intention of negotiating a new one with Pathe, he had made a deal with Loews. I was the manager at the time and I handed the keys over to the Loews people. Pathe had intended to open up at a different location and use the Paris name there, and they removed their signs from the 58th St. theatre which we donated to the Museum of the Moving Image over in Astoria. Sheldon Solow and Loews (landlord and partner) re-named the theatre Fine Arts. Pathe’s local representative was scouting out locations. Shortly thereafter, Pathe in France, fell on hard times and the French equivalent of bankruptcy and reorganization. Their plans for a replacement outlet in New York were scrapped and their local representative let go. It was after this that the Paris signs went back up at the theatre at 4 W. 58th St. Still later, the Loews/Solow partnership broke up, and Solow went solo with the Paris.