Paris Theatre

4 West 58th Street,
New York, NY 10019

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 27, 2010 at 11:40 am

I was at this theater yesterday. It was about ninety degrees, but Babies was showing and I couldn’t sit through a baby movie.

atmos
atmos on May 13, 2010 at 9:11 am

The 1948/49 Theatre Catalog lists the architects as James J.Murno and Warner-Leeds Associates.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Universal Pictures has announced that the World Premiere of the Nancy Myers comedy It’s Complicated will take place at the Paris Theatre in New York City on Wednesday, December 9, 2009.
Attending the event will be writer/director/producer Nancy Meyers; producer Scott Rudin; cast members Meryl Streep, Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin, John Krasinski, Lake Bell, Mary Kay Place, Rita Wilson, Alexandra Wentworth, Hunter Parrish, Zoe Kazan and Caitlin Fitzgerald; executive producer Suzanne Farwell.

Additional celebrity guests include Christine Baranski, Tom Hanks, Gayle King, Justin Kirk, Elias Koteas, Mary-Louise Parker, Jerry Seinfeld, George Stephanopoulos, and more.

Celebrities are scheduled to arrive at 7pm and the screening begins at 8pm.

TPH
TPH on November 7, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Any rationale for the expense of a full-page ad on the back cover of a recent NY Times Magazine (Sunday) on behalf of the Paris? Great retelling of the theater’s history; makes you thankful that Sony gave up it’s lease years back. Can’t imagine an AMC Paris.

Also, from the Variety article cited above, it’s curious that the Angelica is considered the City Cinemas' prime showcase. I’m sure the Angelica outgrosses Cinema 1,2,3, but that site used to be the leader of the pack.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Article about City Cinemas taking over, after 12 years from Jeffrey Jacobs who booked the films and managed the theater after Sony (Loews) departed:

fanoffilm
fanoffilm on August 25, 2009 at 2:30 am

The projectionist union is picketing the Beekman and Paris theaters.

fanoffilm
fanoffilm on August 18, 2009 at 10:04 am

I was just told by staff that the Paris and The Beekman (formerly NY 1+2) have been signed over to City Cinemas.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on April 8, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Yes, last Friday, “Paris 36” followed “The Reader”

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 27, 2009 at 9:56 am

“The Reader” continues a long run here, having begun December 10.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 13, 2009 at 11:12 pm

This is another photo of the Paris Theater.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 26, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Photos of December 7, 2008 premiere of “Doubt” at the Paris Theatre:

MPol
MPol on November 13, 2008 at 10:39 am

Beautiful article. Thanks for sharing.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 14, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Another article on the 60th anniversary can be found here: View link

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on September 5, 2008 at 4:57 am

Gerald,

Would you mind if I used your add of Gold of Naples or La Fuga ads on my blog? It’s an movie website and one of my sections is dedicated to classic movies theaters anchored by photos I have taken. With the 60th anniversary of the Paris coming up next week I am adding this theater to the blog and thought the ads would be a good illustration. Here’s a link.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 31, 2008 at 9:40 am

On September 13th, the Paris will celebrate its 60th anniversary, according to this article in today’s New York Times: View link

RobertR
RobertR on May 27, 2008 at 8:57 am

I remember playing Vincent and Theo at the Cinemart and getting complaints about the dialogue being muffled and inaudible. I guess it was no different at the Paris.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on May 27, 2008 at 6:52 am

This 1954 Italian film, featuring a young Sophia Loren in one episode, opened at the Paris in early 1957, shorn of two of its six episodes.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 27, 2008 at 6:47 am

I sit in the balcony, have for many movies now, never missed a word of dialogue. Sound is great, in my opinion, in the Paris.

edblank
edblank on May 27, 2008 at 12:34 am

The Paris almost certainly is the single-screen art house I’ve visited most often in NYC, partly because it was such a classy high-grossing theater and therefore had access to the choicest bookings.

I had just returned from Vietnam to be discharged from the Army at Fort Dix and headed straight for nine days in NYC in August 1967 for a movie and Broadway binge (I was a whole year behind on movies and had seen only a couple of Broadway shows previously, so I was a kid in a candy store) before embarking on the rest of my life.

The first movie I saw after dropping off my duffle bag in a cheap hotel was “A Man and a Woman,” which I was aware was in its 52nd week at the Paris. Since then I’ve seen several dozen fine movies there including “Howards End,” “Remains of the Day,” “The Browning Version” and “Ladies in Lavender.”

One couldn’t help but notice over the years that the patrons were invariably older and more likely to dress up a little to go to the movies.

The only mildly negative experience I ever had at the Paris was when I attended “Vincent and Theo” and noticed that the balcony was open. (Is it always open?) Anyway, I decided to make that moviegoing experience a bit different by watching Altman’s film from the balcony. To my dismay, I could hardly make out the dialogue at all.

No one else here has indicated having a hearing problem in the Paris' balcony, so the acoustical problem that afternoon may have been a fluke, occurring only in a specific area of the balcony. That can happen, for example, if few orchestra seats are occupied and the sound lines somehow are caught off kilter.

The longtime manager of a bygone Pittsburgh legitimate theater/playhouse called the Nixon once explained there were a couple of acoustical dead spots in the front mezz of his theater. Later I found that was true in other theaters, especially in their balconies.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 20, 2008 at 3:13 pm

jacobs entertainment is the film buyer for my theater so talk with them daily..