AMC Orleans 8

2247 Bleigh Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19152

Eddiej1984
Eddiej1984 on September 2, 2007 at 11:11 pm

Well today is labor day, the final day for the orleans. Balls Of Fury will be the last new movie that orleans got.

TheaterBuff1
TheaterBuff1 on September 2, 2007 at 8:09 pm

Hughie, you put together a great website regarding the Orleans, which I remember quite well from having visited it several years ago. But the trouble is, which I was just reminded of when I tried to revisit it just now, is that you have to go through an icky sign-up process with MSN before they let you ever get to it, which entails your having to consent to whatever spam they see fit to clog up your e-mail in-box with. So given that, why not create a whole new website dedicated to the memory of the Orleans that functions like a normal one does? That is, one without all those hassles that I don’t think it’s fair people should have to put up with. Thanks, Hughie! And we’ll all be looking forward to your new website soon!

veyoung52
veyoung52 on September 2, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Yes, I remember my first time there (the original Orleans building), too. A 35mm 4-track engagement of “How The West Was Won.” They ran it really well including the overture, intermission, entr'acte, and walk-out music.

Patrick H Friel
Patrick H Friel on September 2, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Could we add the web site I created for The Orleans Theatre?

The link is: View link

Although I put the site together a couple of years ago I don’t purport to claim ownership. I look at the site as a community effort to be enjoyed by the select group of folks who have a special spot in their hearts for The Orleans Theatre of old.

A few people have already signed up as members and I encourage others, particularly on this site, to visit, sign up and share their thoughts and memories with the rest of us.

See you at the Orleans !

Eddiej1984
Eddiej1984 on September 2, 2007 at 9:19 am

I was tired, I meant labor, si the final 8 movies that will show at the AMC Orleans 8 is: Balls Of Fury, The Bourne Ultimatum, Illegal Tender, The Invasion, Rush Hour 3, The Simpsons Movie, Superbad and War.

TheaterBuff1
TheaterBuff1 on September 2, 2007 at 12:57 am

Eddie, unless you’re British, Canadian, New Zealander, Australian or whatever, we spell it “Labor” Day in this country, NOT “Labour” Day, just so you’ll know for next year, and therafter. And yes, it’s a very keen observation you made. When evil forces move, they do so quickly. And at long last it does look like you’re right, the AMC Orleans 8 is all about to become history soon.

I think at the very least it would be great if the main building (the original Orleans Theatre) could be spared the wrecking ball and restored as a single screen theater once more. But the key word there is “think,” and that’s asking far more of Philadelphia’s current movers and shakers than they’re clearly capable of. So as you say, Eddie, RIP Orleans 8.

Meantime, my fondest memory of it will always be of when I walked over there at age 11 to see THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES. It was a single-screen theater at that time and all new within, its just having been freshly built the year before. I saw countless other movies there, too, of course. But that particular memory I hold of the Orleans stands out the most for some reason, probably because it was the FIRST movie I ever saw there, but of that I’m not fully sure. And being as I was a little kid unaccompanied by any parents, I remember feeling intimidated entering into such a well-groomed all-new theater all alone, as if to say I had to prove to the management that I could act proper when coming to the theater just on my own that way, just to give a greater sense of what that era was like. And needless to say I was well behaved from start to finish, from the Red Skelton opening to the Red Skelton close. So alas, c'est la vie, Orleans Theatre, huh? I’m grateful, though, that I got to experience it when it was the best time to. The wrecking ball can’t knock that down.

Eddiej1984
Eddiej1984 on September 1, 2007 at 11:24 pm

And Movietickets.com has no showtimes after monday, wow so this is really the end, RIP Orleans 8, for thats where I saw movies when I was a kid, and The Simpsons Movie will have been the final movie I saw there.

Eddiej1984
Eddiej1984 on September 1, 2007 at 11:21 pm

SOmone took this over at phillyblog, September 3rd (Labour Day) seem to be the last day, wow, thats quicker than I thought it would be.

TheaterBuff1
TheaterBuff1 on August 29, 2007 at 9:26 pm

Ah, so much for a theater that a lot of people love then. So much for all the steadfast loyalties they’ve shown towards it all these many years, making it the last Northeast Philadelphia movie theater of yore still in operation and which they no doubt had hoped to continue to show steadfast loyalty to for the next 50 years or so. So to that we’re now to the point that we say yeah yeah yeah, the hell with all that. Knock that sucker down and slap up a Target Store in its place — which nobody wants, nobody asked for, but they’re going to get shoved at them anyhow. Because that’s what some mindless twit out on the Main Line or wherever wants them to have. I am soooooo glad I am not among Philadelphia’s current movers and shakers because I couldn’t stand to be that wormy and pathetic. But then these are pure lowlifes in nice suits, nice cars, nice houses making these decisions, and with the brains of maggots. And so quite seriously what else can we expect from them but this kind of thing?

And the name “Target,” how appropriate in this case. As in, look for something people love, and then target it. Knock that sucker down, put up something nobody’s going to like in its place, and that’s “justice.”

TheaterBuff1
TheaterBuff1 on August 29, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Eddiej1984
Eddiej1984 on August 28, 2007 at 9:29 pm

^Yep like I said last week, but unlike the other times I have speculated about the orleans rumours of closing, this time more people are saying it, including managers (Even ones that currently are at orleans).

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 28, 2007 at 3:18 pm

well informed sources inform me that the AMC Orleans will close soon (within a month or so?) for demolition, to be replaced by a Target.

TheaterBuff1
TheaterBuff1 on August 25, 2007 at 8:00 pm

I’m really surprised they gave it even that high a rating. For you know a theater’s got to be pretty bad when someone who goes by the user name of “Theaterbuff1” and lives in an area of the city where that’s one of only three theaters around, the AMC Orleans 8 being the closest one, but he wouldn’t even dare consider going to see a movie there, given how it’s been run the past 20 years or so!

Still, although it’s light years away now from how it was when I saw such films as OLIVER! and THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES there in the late 1960s when it was a single screen theater and very classy inside at that, a lot of people love that theater as it is today. And one thing I definitely don’t do is argue with love. Or at least not when it’s love of the only surviving theater from the days of my youth in a part of the city where once there had been so many but now this is the last surviving one.

And sometimes….well, you just have to put aside your own outlook and see things as Joel McCrea came to see them in that classic 1941 movie, SULLIVAN’S TRAVELS. For that’s the whole point of movies, after all, isn’t it?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 25, 2007 at 2:29 pm

The June 1999 Philadelphia Magazine rated the AMC Orleans 8 a “3” on a 1 to 5 scale, with comment “A former cutting-edge theater that has dulled considerably.”

TheaterBuff1
TheaterBuff1 on August 18, 2007 at 11:34 pm

Yep, just like we did the last time, Eddie.

Eddiej1984
Eddiej1984 on August 18, 2007 at 9:10 am

No, I dont have it in for this theatre, this time it really is, unlike the other times, managers are saying it, and how we may be getting some workers from there.
Laos I’ve been hearing how Target is indeed going where the orleans is.
I don’t care if you believe me or not, we shall find out in a couple months, whether im right or im wrong.

TheaterBuff1
TheaterBuff1 on August 18, 2007 at 12:58 am

Oh, here we go again. You really have it in for this theater, don’t you, Eddie? But despite your noise, that theater’s staying put, just like Burholme Park up Cottman Avenue from there is. Live with it.

Eddiej1984
Eddiej1984 on August 17, 2007 at 11:49 pm

Well, after all these years of rumours, it seems like Orleans is finally going to close in 2 months.

TheaterBuff1
TheaterBuff1 on January 5, 2007 at 8:59 pm

But it might be changing considerably on the road ahead in terms of its current clientele due to the all new Pearl Theatre @ Avenue North a state-of-the-art 7-screen megaplex that rose up on Broad Street in December of ‘06. And even moreso if a sizeable shopping mall rises up in North Philly to rival Roosevelt Mall. Under the previous arrangement so much money was being drained out of North Philly, which, in turn, was proving detrimental both for North Philly and Northeast Philadelphia. The old Roosevelt Mall with its accompanying Orleans Theatre respected the fact that it was in a predominantly residential area, which of course is Northeast Philadelphia’s most appropriate calling, and which of course hasn’t changed. But over the past 15 years or so Roosevelt Mall, in its quest to make money with a “the hell with anything else” approach, fully lost sight of that. But the all new Pearl signals the needed change that was long overdue.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on December 23, 2006 at 5:50 pm

What I’ve heard is the AMC Orleans 8 is not closing any time soon.

TheaterBuff1
TheaterBuff1 on November 22, 2006 at 9:19 pm

Oops! Quick correction: I meant to say “caste system,” not “chaste system”! Chaste system was back in the late ‘60s when the Orleans showed “I Am Curious Yellow,” and a whole bunch of heavyset NE Philly housewives turned out to protest, one angry NE housewife’s sign reading: “I Am Furious Red”…

TheaterBuff1
TheaterBuff1 on November 22, 2006 at 7:58 pm

My too fondly remembering the Orleans when it was all new and single-screen and part of the Roosevelt Mall complex when it, too, was all new, it would be too surreally disturbing an experience for me to set foot in that theater today, now a chopped up multiplex, as from my perspective — in part instilled by the Orleans in a different era — life is meant to go forward and up, not back. And boy, did the architectural design of the Orleans Theatre NOT stand the test of time with regards to that! Some things of old when you see them again they strike a note of nostalgia. But the Orleans is such that when you see it again it strikes a note of disappointment. When you see it again you think, man, why can’t it be anything like it was in memories? That is, for those remembering it as a “once great theater,” it is far better not seeing it at all as it really is — and was — if that’s the case. But rather, to use those memories to build an all new theater that matches what you think the Orleans had once been.

However, to say it “won’t be missed by many” is to say we’ve adopted a chaste system in this country, something we didn’t have before. It’s kind of analogous to Yogi Berra’s saying, “Nobody comes out to baseball games anymore because they’re too crowded.” For the fact is that the AMC Orleans 8 of today, and far moreso than ever, draws huge audiences. That’s precisely why these days it looks so constantly rundown. That rundown appearance you see is not the look of abandonment but over-love.

To be sure, if the Orleans ever goes the way of the wrecking ball it won’t be missed by those whose concept of life is to go forward and up. But to the raging masses whose outlook in life is “yeah, yeah, yeah, we don’t care about any of that,” it will be missed plenty, in “Sullivan’s Travels”-like fashion.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 22, 2006 at 5:18 am

Theater That Won’t Be Missed by Many
Another example of a multiplex run into the ground but still grinding out flicks, AMC Orleans 8 rivals Movies at Cheltenham Square for grunge.

from Philadelphia Weekly today:

ScottWeinberg
ScottWeinberg on August 28, 2006 at 8:19 am

Used to see tons of movies here when I was a kid (my grandmother lived three blocks away), but I can’t remember the last time I set foot in the place. I think it was one of the Police Academy movies.

Sorry to hear it’s being shut down, though. For people in this immediate area, there aren’t many moviegoing options (especially considering that the UA Grant sucks eggs).