Granada Theater

6427 N. Sheridan Road,
Chicago, IL 60626

Broan
Broan on August 6, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Here is a nice early lobby view

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on July 4, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I heard once that it was the building owner who removed the decorative glass from the center of the grand window. The story goes that he did a poor job of packing and the window was destroyed in transit to another part of the U.S.

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on April 21, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I had the pleaure of being in the theater in 1986 when a new owner full of high hopes took over. Reality than set in. It was an experience. Only in the US do we destroy our architectural treasures in the name of progress, Very sad.

Broan
Broan on April 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I believe some of the glass doors now reside at the Portage.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 21, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Nice find Brian. I’ve never seen a good shot of the box office and entrance.

Michael K.
Michael K. on January 26, 2011 at 8:58 pm

PS, I hope to bring the oldgranadatheatre.com website back soon. :)

Michael K.
Michael K. on January 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Hey Everyone, this is the Michael Kuecker that used to have the website oldgranadatheatre.com :) I lost my original account on this site, and after months of trying to contact the webmasters – because I dumpped DSL for Cable and no longer can access the emails (long story) they never were able to assist me.
When Comcast came to install my internet, they reset all my settings to default before I could stop them which erased all my saved passwords.
Now I’m back, and please get in touch with me about my Granada Theatre love. :)

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 21, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Thanks LTS for posting those. I’d completely forgotten about Aphrodite’s, the restaurant in the foreground of the 1st pic. A girl I knew called there about a job. Whoever answered the phone told her to come in person. Unfortunately it was just a dishwasher who wanted to meet girls. Management was none too happy with him.

In the 2nd B/W photo it looks like there is a miniature version in the foreground, of the then Granada blade.
I wonder if that was some type of restaurant that was tied to the Granada. Like say the Artist’s Snack Shop down by the Studebaker Theatre.

NittyRanks
NittyRanks on June 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Very cool photo’s.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Never seen these before:

View link-thumb-572xauto-91647.jpg)

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on December 6, 2009 at 9:37 am

This is a lttle off topic but not really. I toured the Sanfillipo Mansion near Barrington in 2005. Had I been up on my CT reading back then, I would have known to asked the more than gracious host to point out the various architectual gems saved from the Granada. There were numerous pipe organs, Victrola’s & kaliopies throughout. Even a fully equipped retro diner.

The grounds had an outbuilding that had a reconstructed 1890’s indoor fairgrounds with a working carousel from the era.
Their was white terra cotta stone work that adorned some of the building’s interior. So I wonder if that was some of it.
It was an all day affair celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Ford Thunderbird. They even allowed the number 50 to be spelled out on the sprawling lawn in parked Thunderbirds. Photographed from a helicopter no less.

Hauntingly, a playerless pipe organ that rose from a stage floor in the house gave us a concert at the end. We also toured the pipe organ mechanicals room. Like the Granada, it’s fascinating what men could build.

Cam
Cam on December 6, 2009 at 8:00 am

Hi Rick. Since the guestbook was hosted on a different site, it’s possible. However, since the email address that was on the site is no longer active, it’s unlikely that guestbook entries are reaching anyone. It also looks like the last three entries in the guestbook are probably comment spam. Too bad.

RickB
RickB on December 6, 2009 at 6:32 am

Poking through the archive.org links, I discovered that the guestbook for the oldgranadatheatre site reamins active (somebody posted there last month). Would the owner be notified when a post is made?

Cam
Cam on December 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm

There was a terrific site mentioned in the thread above, written by a guy named Michael Kuecker. The domain has been taken over by different owners, but the original content is still available in the Wayback Machine. It’s not much to look at, but it’s wonderful to read:

If anyone knows how to contact the author, it would be great to hear from him. I’d love to provide a new home for his site. I hate seeing good work like that disappear.

For that matter, anybody who wants to share memories of the Granada is welcome to contact me by email (). I really loved that place.

Recently I’ve been going through some of my old photos, and I’ve got a few more shots of the Granada that I’ll be adding to my gallery.

At the moment, there are about 40, starting here:

Cheers,
Cam

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 25, 2009 at 7:07 pm

I’ll bet people would turn off their cellphones in the theater if the manager was armed. This is from the Madison (WI) Capital Times in February 1931:

CHICAGOâ€"Three Negro bandits held up the Granada theater at 6247 Sheridan Road Friday night and fled before the revolver fire of J.J. Katz, the manager, who gave chase after he had been notified of the robbery by a girl cashier. One of the holdup men was believed to have been wounded.

The chase and shooting were witnessed by hundreds of motorists and pedestrians, as it occurred about 10 o'clock, while the crowds from the first performance were still leaving the theater.

jalvar
jalvar on July 19, 2009 at 7:06 am

A question for thoose of you that know or remember.

Did any of the Chicago theatres have the fabulous stage machinery that Radio City Music Hall has and the the Roxy and the Center Theater had?

scorseseisgod
scorseseisgod on April 4, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Here is a Historical Building Survey about the Granada that was commissioned in 1989. It’s long, highly descriptive and sure to bring back a lot of memories of the theater and that section of Rogers Park.

Part 1: http://tinyurl.com/d3d6dy
Part 2: http://tinyurl.com/czgtt9

Enjoy!

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on March 1, 2009 at 8:22 am

The February 5th edition of the Chicago Reader was titled The Rogers Park & West Ridge Issue. It included a column titled The Savages Of Time, which was accompanied by 3 pictures of the Granada Theater. The author dedicated a few paragraphs to his memories of the Granada. Albeit climbing onto it’s roof.

A slight correction to the column, the neighboring bar was called Huey’s. Not Baby Huey’s.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on February 21, 2009 at 9:00 am

An acquaintance recently told me the 60’s “developer” who bought the Granada and a lot of these old theaters, was initially intending to convert them all into Bingo halls. If they were already shuttered at the time of purchase, he likely got the properties on the cheap. But the Bingo angle never materialized.
That was supposedly also the intention of the Devon Theatre. But it was able to live on a little bit longer as a movie house.

rjacobsonmd
rjacobsonmd on December 20, 2008 at 7:21 pm

My father owned the popcorn and candy store next to the Granada in the late 20’s and early 30’s, before I was born. He then began to make his own popcorn machines and established the Kripy Kist Korn Machine Co. at 120 so. Halsted in 1933, eventually renamed Krispy Kist Co. manufacturing all sorts of machines for the snack food industry.

His strongest wish was that all popcorn be cooked on a gas popper without oil and that “pure creamery butter” be used as the flavoring. His company was very involved in the snack food industry in the post WWII period up until it was sold about 10 years ago.

Caramelcorn was his specialty and I still make the original recipe for the holiday season. The Karamelcorn stores in downtown Chicago were users of our machines as well as a competitor’s machines.

If anyone remembers his original store or has any further info, I’d appreciate hearing from you.

Richard Jacobson,
Granada Hills, Ca. (I just realized the coincidence of where I live)

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on December 5, 2008 at 11:26 am

I happened by the site of the old Granada Theatre today on the “L”.
Geographically, there is a multi-level parking structure where the Granada formerly stood. With retail in the front.
The taller building is actually to the North of that. Where Ramblers, Minstrels & Huey’s etc. used to be.
There is also a massive condominum structure across the street where the New Old Place restaurant used to be.
It’s like a dark corridor now.

So, does this make Joni Mitchell a prophet?

itzawrap
itzawrap on November 17, 2008 at 4:50 pm

I grew up in Rogers Park. Going to the movies on Saturdays was a favorite pass time during the early to late 60’s. Admission was 25cents, pop corn – 15cents….double features were the norm. Took many a date there during high school. I even remember it before the apartment building on the corner to it’s south was built.

Eventually the Granada closed as a movie palace and live shows moved in.

In late 1981 we used the interior as a location for a short sales film. We used the dressing rooms downstairs, backstage and the stage. It was a dream come true for me as I was able to see behind the scenes of one of my favorite theaters from my childhood. So sad to see it go to the ash heap of history.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 16, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Here is an excerpt from an article in the New Castle (PA) News, dated 6/11/56:

CHICAGO (UP) â€" The nationwide search for the shotgun killer of three persons set off a near riot in a jammed movie theater Sunday night. About 3,000 persons jammed the street outside the Granada Theater on the North Side when they heard that police had trapped killer Lawrence Neumann inside. Two women fainted in the crush. The crowd got out of control and 15 squads of police already on the scene had to radio for reinforcements. The police were waiting their chance to nab a member of the audience who matched Neumann’s description. But when they caught up with him, it turned out the man was not Neumann.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on August 26, 2008 at 9:17 am

The Granada was indeed a beautiful place. I remember seeing the `60’s cartoon “The Aristocats”, Bond film “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” & “Taxi Driver” all at the Granada. After OHMSS, we went to a carnival set up on Loyola’s then track field. Behind and to the East.

It was a shame the Granada couldn’t be saved. Loyola also tore down their own vintage dark brick athletic building just North & behind the tracks.
The one that long had their 1963 Basketball Championship signage on it. Visible from the “L”.
I drove by when the Granada was being torn down. I’m sure Loyola had their own plans in mind long before it all happened. Just as they did on Pearson Street, down on the Near North Side. Quigley beware.
They also took over what was called Mundelien College, East on Devon near the lakefront. Fully incorporating it all into their campus.

I didn’t know that there was a different, classic marquee originallyon the Granada. I can’t wait for Mr. Kuecker’s new website.

For the record, Broadway was originally called Evanston Avenue. Probably because it led to where else, Evanston.
Years back, there was a church that burned & was torn down about 3 blocks North of Belmont on Broadway. When it was being razed, the exposed corner stone said “Evanston Avenue Church”. Northbound Broadway turns into Sheridan at Devon.

North of the Granada on Sheridan in the 70's &80’s, were Loyola bar Ramblers, Minstrels, & Hueys. Hueys was a bar with live bands that you had to go up a long stairwell to enter. The bouncers knew the advantage of their stairwell quite well. They’d stage guys at the top & street level. Trouble was oddly beaten UP the stairs, to avoid whatever scene was caused.

Across the street was a breakfast joint called The New Old Place. It was 24 hours for a while. They did great biz after the bars closed. Loyola then took it over as their Fine Arts studios. But it still retained it’s restaurant, Tudor style roofline & huge parking lot until it was all torn down. It had one large peak over the entrance, and smaller peaks over the rest.

I wish I’d known Harry Chapin was at the Granada. I wasn’t far from there then, and would have made the effort.
I wonder if any program/handbills still exist from the Granada when it briefly ventured into concerts. I’m also curious what year the giant, vertical Granada sign was removed, and if it coincided with the newer marquee.