Empire Cinema

59-61 New Broadway, Uxbridge Road,
London, W5 5AH

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 27, 2007 at 6:02 pm

My April 11, 2007 photo:
I saw “Mr. Bean’s Holiday” in the main auditorium upstairs in former balcony. The lobby, upstairs foyer, and main auditorium all were ornate. The auditorum ceiling dome is especially wonderful. Inlaid wood doors are a nice touch. I like curtains, but they did not use a curtain before the movie screen. I hope the interior survives intact with many more movies shown over time.

Jasonmullen
Jasonmullen on November 2, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Showing my age but I saw the movie Grease here on its release in 1978. It was shown in Screen 1 and I can still recall the mad scenes at the final number as everyone danced on the flat floor that extends from the former circle front to the screen. Not sure I danced I was probably worried about going through into screen 2 or 3.

exciterlamp
exciterlamp on May 31, 2006 at 5:16 am

The cinema still boasts (or did when I was last there) many original features. There are a number of the original inlaid wooden doors, and some beautiful plasterwork in what was the former café and is now offices. Behind the new screen is the top of the original proscenium, complete with concealed lampholders and more decorative plasterwork. Former “chief” Neville Dimon was instrumental in getting all the lights working again in the central internal dome in screen one. The original projection room was, at the time of my last visit, home to pigeons. The massive three phase mercury arc rectifiers and associared electical equipment was all still in situ in the intake room.

KenRoe
KenRoe on August 26, 2005 at 12:19 pm

I believe the facade of the former Forum Cinema will be kept. The new 12 screen Cineworld Multiplex will be build on the current auditorium site.

gogogoadam
gogogoadam on August 21, 2005 at 3:04 am

Wouldn’t Cineworld/UGC be building a brand new complex somewhere in Ealing (a la Enfield) rather than extending the existing site?

SethLewis
SethLewis on September 30, 2004 at 12:50 pm

UGC is promising us a new 16-20 screener for 2005

davepring
davepring on September 30, 2004 at 12:41 pm

The pathe news website has a short feature on the building of this cinema in 1934