Harbor Theatre

9215 Fourth Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11209

Theaterat
Theaterat on April 2, 2005 at 2:31 pm

I remember the Catholic Legion Of Decency very well. Before I was 13 years old my mother, a devout Catholic would check every movie I wanted to see. We used to call it The Clod for short

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on March 15, 2005 at 11:41 am

When the Catholic Legion of Decency gave “The Moon Is Blue” a Condemned rating in Summer ’53, the Loew’s and RKO circuits declined to show the film. It was left to the Harbor to make a killing by running it for a week. Parochial schools in Brooklyn ran a contest for kids to draw posters denouncing the movie. I began by sketching an exquisitely detailed cut-off view of the interior and exterior sides of the Harbor, with a projection of the film’s title on the screen, subsequently engulfed by flames from hell. I soon nixed the idea, because the detail I wanted was beyond my ability but mostly because I couldn’t abide the idea of incinerating such a nice theater. I wound up sketching a hill with a bunch of people at the top pushing a book named “The Moon Is Blue” off its sharp cliff. But my heart wasn’t in it, and I came nowhere close to getting recognition for my work. Besides, the nuns knew all along that I was a movie-mad subversive who would watch anything (well, practically anything) projected on a screen, even and especially off-color comedies and musicals with suggestive costuming.

Hoosac
Hoosac on February 11, 2005 at 4:44 pm

When I was about 11 years old, a local pizzeria sponsored a free cartoon marathon one Saturday morning. You had to have one of the pizzeria’s flyers to get in, but they had printed thousands of them, and every kid in Bay Ridge, it seemed, was lined up for the show. Some of us wound up sitting in the aisle in the balcony, it was that crowded. The cartoons went on for over an hour, a grand thing for us.

In the early 60’s the Harbor became something of an “art” house. Like many smaller theatres in the area, it received its feature films after they had played everywhere else. But the management also seemed willing to try presenting films that other neighborhood theatres wouldn’t bother with. I can recall seeing such films as “The Pawnbroker”, with Rod Steiger, and a revival of “Sweet Smell of Success”, with Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis. The Harbor also presented award-winning short subjects, such as a documentary that cinematographer Haskell Wexler did about a tumbleweed rolling through the roads and prairies of a western state — all without dialogue. Wexler later went on to film such classics as “In the Heat of the Night” and “Medium Cool”.

Alas, the Harbor’s efforts to bring something special to the area couldn’t save it from the realities of the business. But some of us still remember it fondly.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 25, 2004 at 2:09 pm

Charles Sandblom was architect of the Harbor Theatre, which first opened in 1935.

Jody527
Jody527 on September 27, 2004 at 12:14 am

The last movie ever to play at the Harbor Theatre was Norma Rae staring Sally Fields. The date and time was Tuesday June 26,1979 at 8:00pm. The local Bayridge paper The Home Reporter wrote an article and took my picture as I purchased the last two tickets ever sold which I still have.

AMYLOU
AMYLOU on July 7, 2004 at 11:35 am

I remember going to the Harbor Theater with my friends. We brought our lunch and sat through two features, coming attractions and newsreels. We sat in the front row mezzanine every Saturday.

HomegaMan
HomegaMan on June 22, 2004 at 12:09 pm

I remeber seeing the classics of my youth at the Harbor theater with my uncle Carlos and my cousins Alex and Ricky. I saw “Star Wars” there in 1978 and “Superman” in 1979. I remeber buying a program there and then after seeing the films walking out across the street to a store that sold the trading cards to the movies. It was a happy memory of a happy childhood.

William
William on November 15, 2003 at 12:32 pm

The Harbor Theatre was located at 9215 4th Ave. and it seated 1092 people.