Queens Theatre

219-36 Jamaica Avenue,
Queens Village, NY 11428

techman707
techman707 on August 3, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I haven’t seen the Albermarle recently, but I’ve worked there a number of times. The projection booth in built into the loge, so it didn’t have a steep throw. The Astor theatre down the block didn’t even have a front projection booth. The booth was behind the screen. It made you feel like you were working in a fish bowl.

robboehm
robboehm on August 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm

It certainly won’t look the same but it still could be really good. Check out the Albemarle in Brooklyn after it’s modification.

techman707
techman707 on August 3, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Whatever it looks like after their “modifications” it will NEVER look as good as it once did.

Hey Artie16, I don’t remember you, but, that’s the year (1958) my sister graduated from JHS 109 and they had the graduation ceromonies at the Queens. Did you work any other Century Theatres beside the Queens and Floral?

robboehm
robboehm on August 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm

wonder what it will look like after the church finishes their modifications.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on August 3, 2011 at 11:32 am

Yes that is a nice auditorium shot,thanks for posting.

robboehm
robboehm on August 3, 2011 at 11:24 am

Now that’s impressive. Unfortunately, most movie goers never really saw the auditorium. In the day all the Century theatres had continuous performances from 1 PM. The lights never were up. I was in the Queens twice, once up, once down and the only thing that really registered was the enormity of the balcony, which must have seated as many, or more, than the orchestra.

Artie16
Artie16 on June 28, 2011 at 11:47 am

I worked at the Queens Theatre back in 1958.as the Assit'Mgr.Is anyone out there that might remember me? Also, I was the Manager of the Floral theatre and several other Century theatres. Hope to hear from someone. Art Ringfield

techman707
techman707 on June 9, 2011 at 2:22 pm

The Google link I posted above is the Beverly Theatre now. My problem is I can’t find it on CT. Can you tell me what it’s listed as? I did the twin installation of the Beverly back in 1973-4.

techman707
techman707 on June 9, 2011 at 9:14 am

That’s the theatre I originally posted a few post up.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 9, 2011 at 8:26 am

Add to that list the Corona Theatre in Corona, NY.

techman707
techman707 on June 9, 2011 at 8:23 am

Tinseltoes, Have you seen the Beverly Theatre in Brooklyn here? I can’t seem to be able to find it. It’s closed and here’s a Gooogle link http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=&aq=&sll=40.643485,-73.978904&sspn=0.000396,0.001007&ie=UTF8&rq=1&ev=p&radius=0.03&split=1&t=h&ll=40.642777,-73.979402&spn=0,0.016115&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.642998,-73.978959&panoid=yEEiLKSH7nO1YXOMh1_OHA&cbp=12,348.67,,0,-23.25

techman707
techman707 on June 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm

There’s a number of them. I noticed a few, but, Tinseltoes had already remarked about it and I believe knows more about which ones need correcting. I’m sure that when he sees this post he will let you know. I know the CORONA THEATRE, Queens was way off and needs to be set to the corner of Junction Blvd & Roosevelt Ave. The Google shot of the Palace Theatre, NY is blocked by construction. I just can’t recall the others off the top of my head (I know I’m becoming senile).

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on June 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Techman707 — which theater’s streetview would you like to correct? As for a way to correct addresses, etc., we’re working on it. Thanks for your patience…

techman707
techman707 on June 8, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Right,I managed to find the right view, but you can’t update it. Although in most cases I would rather remember them the way they looked BEFORE, rather then the nightmare that exists now.

techman707
techman707 on June 8, 2011 at 7:30 am

Thanks for the update Tinseltoes. I see you’ve been going through a number of theatres pointing out that where they’re using Google Maps, the locations are incorrect. It’s too bad WE can’t update those locations.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

Seems to me that the introductory description at the top of the page should be changed to more specifically identify the Queens Theatre’s location as being on Jamaica Avenue at Springfield Boulevard, rather than near the Cross Island Parkway. I know we have the address listed, but the change would allow folks to orient themselves a bit better if thinking about a drive by the old place.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on April 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

Glad that you got to see the photos techman.

techman707
techman707 on April 1, 2011 at 10:04 am

tlsloews-I live not too far from the Queens Theatre and pass by it often, however, I’d like to remember it like in the picture posted on 1/18/2007.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on April 1, 2011 at 9:23 am

Techman,there is a photo posted by youngnyer 1/18/2007 and a 1986 photo posted by kenmc Apr 8,2009,click on them to see them,have a good day.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on April 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

Yes Techman,it is posted somewhere on this page.

robboehm
robboehm on April 1, 2011 at 9:11 am

Did they ever finish the conversion to a church. There was still construction on the facade when I was in the area at the end of the year.

techman707
techman707 on April 1, 2011 at 8:51 am

tlsloews – You must be looking at an OLD picture. Although the theatre is still there as a church, the entire marquee has been removed and the whole front “modernized”.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on April 1, 2011 at 6:15 am

Nice marquee on the Queens Theatre.

tinamehler
tinamehler on February 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Techman: I would be glad to hear any memorable trivia etc you have of him! He was a great guy. He passed away in 1994. The theaters were his life.

techman707
techman707 on February 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I just posted in the Glen Oaks thread asking YOU if your father’s name was Bernard. I knew him well, we worked together for a few years at the Century’s Prospect be I left around 1980 (I think) to work at the RKO Alden in Jamaica that they turned into a quad. The projectionist there was old and didn’t want to run platters. The funny thing is that not too long after we switched, they multiplexed the Prospect.