Queens Theatre

219-36 Jamaica Avenue,
Queens Village, NY 11428

techman707
techman707 on August 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm

They are tapestries on the side walls of the Queens. The closest theatre that Loews had was the Valencia. They really didn’t have that many theatres in Queens, which was “Century territory”.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm

The auditorium decor is more elaborate than I expected. Are those painted murals or tapestries on the side walls? They seem to depict medieval scenes with men on horseback. Before the Queens Theatre opened, Loew’s considered buying the operating lease, but finally decided that the area was too under-populated for their requirements.

Artie16
Artie16 on August 4, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Yes, I did work at many Century theatres as Manager from 1952 till 1969. After that I worked as a projectionist with Local 640, and retired in 1979. Now I am retired, and living in Florida.

Best wishes to all.

Artie16

robboehm
robboehm on August 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Just look on CT for a new Albemarle interior photo

techman707
techman707 on August 4, 2011 at 3:10 am

I haven’t seen the Albermarle recently, but I’ve worked there a number of times. The projection booth in built into the loge, so it didn’t have a steep throw. The Astor theatre down the block didn’t even have a front projection booth. The booth was behind the screen. It made you feel like you were working in a fish bowl.

robboehm
robboehm on August 4, 2011 at 2:20 am

It certainly won’t look the same but it still could be really good. Check out the Albemarle in Brooklyn after it’s modification.

techman707
techman707 on August 4, 2011 at 2:15 am

Whatever it looks like after their “modifications” it will NEVER look as good as it once did.

Hey Artie16, I don’t remember you, but, that’s the year (1958) my sister graduated from JHS 109 and they had the graduation ceromonies at the Queens. Did you work any other Century Theatres beside the Queens and Floral?

robboehm
robboehm on August 3, 2011 at 11:45 pm

wonder what it will look like after the church finishes their modifications.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on August 3, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Yes that is a nice auditorium shot,thanks for posting.

robboehm
robboehm on August 3, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Now that’s impressive. Unfortunately, most movie goers never really saw the auditorium. In the day all the Century theatres had continuous performances from 1 PM. The lights never were up. I was in the Queens twice, once up, once down and the only thing that really registered was the enormity of the balcony, which must have seated as many, or more, than the orchestra.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 3, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Here’s a link to a rare color photo of the auditorium: nycago

Artie16
Artie16 on June 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I worked at the Queens Theatre back in 1958.as the Assit'Mgr.Is anyone out there that might remember me? Also, I was the Manager of the Floral theatre and several other Century theatres. Hope to hear from someone. Art Ringfield

techman707
techman707 on June 9, 2011 at 10:22 pm

The Google link I posted above is the Beverly Theatre now. My problem is I can’t find it on CT. Can you tell me what it’s listed as? I did the twin installation of the Beverly back in 1973-4.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 9, 2011 at 9:43 pm

T-Man, I think that the entrance and lobby of the Beverly Theatre in Brooklyn are now a bargain store. That’s the view I see at the CT listing, and I believe it correct. A school was built on the site of the Beverly’s auditorium, and you can see a portion of a school wall in the background if you maneuver around the Google view.

techman707
techman707 on June 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm

That’s the theatre I originally posted a few post up.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Add to that list the Corona Theatre in Corona, NY.

techman707
techman707 on June 9, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Tinseltoes, Have you seen the Beverly Theatre in Brooklyn here? I can’t seem to be able to find it. It’s closed and here’s a Gooogle link http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=&aq=&sll=40.643485,-73.978904&sspn=0.000396,0.001007&ie=UTF8&rq=1&ev=p&radius=0.03&split=1&t=h&ll=40.642777,-73.979402&spn=0,0.016115&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.642998,-73.978959&panoid=yEEiLKSH7nO1YXOMh1_OHA&cbp=12,348.67,,0,-23.25

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Ross, Google views that are off base or “corrected” incorrectly include the Prospect and Parsons in Flushing, Queens; the Merrick in Jamaica, and the RKO Albee and Loew’s Metropolitan in downtown Brooklyn. Also, for whatever reason, no Google view at all is presented for the Albemarle in Flatbush.

techman707
techman707 on June 9, 2011 at 3:55 am

There’s a number of them. I noticed a few, but, Tinseltoes had already remarked about it and I believe knows more about which ones need correcting. I’m sure that when he sees this post he will let you know. I know the CORONA THEATRE, Queens was way off and needs to be set to the corner of Junction Blvd & Roosevelt Ave. The Google shot of the Palace Theatre, NY is blocked by construction. I just can’t recall the others off the top of my head (I know I’m becoming senile).

Ross Melnick
Ross Melnick on June 9, 2011 at 2:55 am

Techman707 — which theater’s streetview would you like to correct? As for a way to correct addresses, etc., we’re working on it. Thanks for your patience…

techman707
techman707 on June 9, 2011 at 12:34 am

Right,I managed to find the right view, but you can’t update it. Although in most cases I would rather remember them the way they looked BEFORE, rather then the nightmare that exists now.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 8, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I would hope that the inaccurate Google Maps views will eventually be corrected. At the moment, I can sometimes find the correct view, but there is no way to re-set it. And some views are miles off due to incorrect zip codes listed at Cinema Treasures.

techman707
techman707 on June 8, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for the update Tinseltoes. I see you’ve been going through a number of theatres pointing out that where they’re using Google Maps, the locations are incorrect. It’s too bad WE can’t update those locations.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm

A recent view of the drastically changed exterior of the Queens Theatre can be seen near the end of this two-part article of a tour of Jamaica Avenue. Earlier on, the Merrick and Loew’s Valencia can also be found: forgotten-ny

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 1, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Seems to me that the introductory description at the top of the page should be changed to more specifically identify the Queens Theatre’s location as being on Jamaica Avenue at Springfield Boulevard, rather than near the Cross Island Parkway. I know we have the address listed, but the change would allow folks to orient themselves a bit better if thinking about a drive by the old place.