Ridgewood Theatre

55-27 Myrtle Avenue,
Ridgewood, NY 11385

Showing 26 - 50 of 2,834 comments

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on November 5, 2014 at 10:31 am

RKO Keith Richmond Hill may still operate as a bingo hall, but the benefit is that anyone can walk into it from the street and see the inside, and see that it was once a movie theater.

LuisV
LuisV on November 5, 2014 at 10:29 am

It was announced a while ago that the theater was being converted to residential. It is being converted to 50 apartments as well as first floor commercial space. As the interior was not landmarked there was never any expectation that any of it would survive. The facade however IS landmarked and that should be spared. Here is the link: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/07/10/ridgewood_theaters_residential_conversion_moves_forward.php The best preserved unrestored theater in Queens and quite possibly the entire city is the RKO Keith’s Richmond Hill. I am shocked that it still operates as a Bingo Hall.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on November 5, 2014 at 9:23 am

Thank you, harvvi. Sad, but not unexpected. R.I.P. Ridgewood Theatre. What next ?

harvvi
harvvi on November 5, 2014 at 9:20 am

As of last week, i have seen the whole in side of the theater destroyed. everything is gone! nothing was saved. I have seen the floor removed, its down to the dirt. about 10 boxes of new toilets & tanks waiting to be brought inside the building. at first it was said that it will be a supermarket but that fell through. Now i’m not sure but i have Michael Perlman on facebook putting up dates and fotos of the Ridgewood theater.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 3, 2014 at 8:06 am

That is a beautiful shot of the proscenium and stage curtain. Lovely house. We should all look at that new picture a lot to get it on the home page.

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on November 2, 2014 at 7:59 am

Jeff, thanks so much for the two terrific photos which were probably taken just before the theater was divided. It certainly seemed to be in very good shape at the time, something that I was surprised to see.

Jeff M.
Jeff M. on November 1, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Hello All: I just posted 2 photographs taken of the auditorium in January 1977. One shows the details of the stage left organ screen and the other was taken from top balcony center looking towards the stage. The late Carl Weiss and I were visiting the house prior to it opening for the day and we were able to get into the organ chamber on stage right. Most of the organ’s sound effects were there including a thunder sheet which, when shook, caused the manager to frantically asked what happened. The pipe organ was a Moller, Opus 2408, possessing 3 manuals & 16 ranks of pipes. It was installed in 1917 at a cost of $5,250.00 according to my records. We did not find the console. Probably long gone by that time. The house was in very good shape and well taken care of at the time we visited. I hope they can find a way to save it.

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on July 11, 2014 at 8:51 am

Thanks Metropolite for the update. The reference to first floor usage for an entertainment/cultural venue is interesting. Hopefully, it might represent a concession to those local parties who pushed for such a use in a portion of the old theater. This would certainly be preferable to the creation of still another drug store on the ground floor.

Metropolite
Metropolite on July 10, 2014 at 1:54 pm

On July 10, 2014 NY.Curbed.Com reported ….

Plans for Ridgewood Theater’s residential conversion were announced last fall, so what’s going on at the site now? Not much, but that may soon change; permits for the project were approved this week. The plans call for adding two stories to the three-story building, and created 50 apartments (10 more than previously reported).

Owner Bushburg Properties recently told Curbed that they are still in the planning stages of the development, working to bring contractors on board and finalizing their designs. The first floor will be an entertainment/cultural venue, and the permits make clear that the existing exterior of the theater, which is landmarked, will remain. Nataliya Donskoy is the architect.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on March 26, 2014 at 12:46 pm

You’re welcome, Lost Memory.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on March 24, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I walked past the Ridgewood Theatre this past Friday March 21 2014. No change since my last visit March 22 2013.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on February 18, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Only time will tell, Lost Memory.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on February 18, 2014 at 11:12 am

RobertR, I don’t know. I may visit Ridgewood before this Friday Feb 21 2014. If I do, I will pass by and observe the Ridgewood Theatre and report here what I have seen.

RobertR
RobertR on February 18, 2014 at 10:53 am

Has demo on the interior begun?

Bway
Bway on October 22, 2013 at 12:44 pm

That’s a shame the church group didnt get it, as that would have been the best possible conversion the theater could have gotten second only after theater itself.

LuisV
LuisV on October 20, 2013 at 8:18 am

Booo indeed. My friend’s church didn’t get it.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 29, 2013 at 8:20 am

Good point, Bway. I will look forward to your report, LuisV.

LuisV
LuisV on August 29, 2013 at 6:21 am

I’m trying to get confirmation from my contact. Will report back as soon as I hear.

Bway
Bway on August 28, 2013 at 6:19 pm

A church would be wonderful in the theater, especially if they leave the plaster walls!!! Perhaps they are just removing the 1980’s multiplexing fake walls and maze of corridors. A church would also be able to used for other functions (theater) during the week perhaps. This could be good news.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 28, 2013 at 7:47 am

As Bway once commented, a church is the most beneficial post-theatre function that a former theater can experience, in that it (hopefully) leaves most of the interior intact. Like the Loews Valencia in Jamaica, Queens becoming the Tabernacle of Prayer.

LuisV
LuisV on August 28, 2013 at 4:25 am

I have a good source that the space has been taken for a church. If so, it is likely that the walls are being removed to function as such. This may not be bad news after all. I will check my source again.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 27, 2013 at 10:03 am

Very bad news indeed.

Bway
Bway on August 27, 2013 at 9:57 am

Wow. That is very bad news. It appears the Ridgewood’s interior is in it’s final hours. After all this, this is where we are now…. Who would have thought….

—–“INTERIOR DEMOLITION , TO REMOVE ALL WALLS AND FIXTURE FORM THE BASEMENT ,FIRST FLOOR THOU THRID FLOOR. NO HCANGIES TO EGRESS, OCCUPANCY AND USE”

Let’s hope it’s only for the fake dividing walls from the multiplexing, but that remains to be seen. This is the closest the Ridgewood has gotten to destruction to date.

Here’s the link:

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on August 26, 2013 at 2:04 pm

According to the NYC Department of Buildings website, the demolition plan was approved on 8/21/13.