UA Lynbrook 6

321 Merrick Road,
Lynbrook, NY 11563

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 7, 2013 at 12:21 am

We’ve heard this before. Any link to the article?

rivest266
rivest266 on October 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm
  • August 13th, 2013: The Malvern-W. Hempstead-Lynbrook patch reports that this will be rebuilt with 15 cinemas with an RPX cinema.
Richard
Richard on May 7, 2013 at 10:18 am

Since Green Acres closes, this has become my new movie destination. I saw “The Pink Panther 2”, “Winnie the Pooh”, “Wreck-It Ralph”, “Monsters, Inc. 3D” and “The Croods” there.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 31, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Movieman… bring some clorox wipes along with you.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 30, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I have been up to the left balcony auditorium twice in the last 6 months or so, most recently for “Django Unchained,” and I noticed that there is some sort of housing in front of the screen that noticeably cuts a small notch a few inches deep and several feet wide along the bottom edge of the image – dead center, too! Wonder what this is and why it was so poorly placed with respect to the audiences sight lines towards the screen?!

fred1
fred1 on March 30, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I wonder when thir currnt lease will expire. I don’t think there will be a renewal.

Purplepielord
Purplepielord on March 30, 2013 at 1:16 pm

right now the theater is different because they have metal platforms for handicapped people.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 19, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Deadline.com is reporting that Regal is spending $191M to acquire the Hollywood Theaters chain. Link to article. This is the comment I posted in Deadline’s comments section:

Since Regal has so much money to spend, I hope they can throw a couple of dollars at their Lynbrook sixplex, which has plenty of broken seats and doesn’t even have cup holders. They’ve been “planning” to rebuild for over a decade and so have spent very little on repairs and maintenance. Since their new purchase is expected to be “accretive to cash flows” I hope some of that cash flows this way.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 5, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I wonder if the Woodbay Construction Co. is still in business. The did so many theater conversions, I’d love to see their files.

taketheatrain
taketheatrain on October 12, 2011 at 7:43 pm

All theatres are Sony 4K Digital except the upstairs theatres don’t have suround sound. Don’t pay to see 3D in theatre 4 and pay extra with no surround sound. The surround sound works very well in Theatre 1 and Theatre 2. YES, I think they are the same seats from 1982 when I saw the “The Wiz” when I was 12 years old. Also, If you go when it’s sold out, the head in front will block the view of the screen.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm

RichD… posted some info that might interest you over on the Rivoli Theatre page.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 20, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Just remembered that I also saw “Nighthawks” with Sylvester Stallone at the Rivoli (also the 2nd time seeing that movie) and the theater was still a single at the time – which was in the Spring of 1981 (imdb.com lists a premiere date of April 4th). I’ll try and do some research, Rich, and will report back on the Rivoli’s CT page.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 20, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Rich… If you go to the Rivoli page, the introduction states the theater was twinned in December, 1981. The theatre was definitely a single when “Dawn of the Dead” played there in early 1979 and I can also tell you from personal experience that it was still a single screen when I saw “1941” (another Lynbrook connection) in January 1980 and “Flash Gordon” in December of 1980. I have newspaper clippings from March of 1982 that clearly indicate the theater had already been twinned, so the date in the introductory comments would seem to be pretty well supported.

RichD
RichD on September 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Ed, it’s funny you mentioned the Rivoli in connection to “Dawn of the Dead”. The first time I saw “Dawn” was at the Lynbrook, and the second time was a few weeks later at the Rivoli!

Now, Tinseltoes, I have a question for you…I know I saw “Dawn” there before the Rivoli was cut into twins, but my memory is that “Dawn of the Dead” was the last movie shown there before the conversion. Do you (or anybody else) know if that’s true?

robboehm
robboehm on September 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm

In some circles the original seats are a plus. The Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center reupolstered the seats originating from the time the theatre originally opened in the 1930s. The place is such a jewel box that anything else would be out of place.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Rich… I should revise my comments to read “where I saw PART OF ‘Dawn of the Dead’”… Being a couple of years under 17, and unable to convince the box office girl that we were of age, we purchased tickets to “Rocky II” or someother PG-rated film and then snuck into “Dawn…” Within about 15 minutes, this dorky usher came in looking to see our ticket stubs and tossed us out to the curb! Finally saw the flick in its entirety a couple of weeks later at the Rivoli Theatre in Times Square – where age requirements were taken a little less seriously.

But those seats, with the black painted metal backs and fixed wooden arm-rests, definitely date back to the Lynbrook’s quartet days!

RichD
RichD on September 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

YES! That is most certainly the auditorium I saw “Dawn of the Dead” in as well! And they sure look like the same old seats to me as well!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Well… the articles I posted about date from January and April and there has been no movement since – not even news of ongoing discussions between the village and Regal. I have a feeling patrons of this theater (however many that may be) will continue to suffer the gnats, broken A/C, falling ceiling tiles, rain flooded hallways (those last two complaints per reader comments posted in the Lynbrook Patch) and lousy sound system for at least a few more years to come. And I will continue to take my moviegoing business away from Lynbrook and into Westbury or Rockville Centre.

I mean just look at the shabby condition of the auditorium depicted in the photo at the top of this page! Looks like the room on the right side of the old orchestra level (would that be theater 2)? This would be the auditorium where I saw “Dawn of the Dead” in 1979 and I swear those are the very same seats my friends and I sat in 32 years ago!

robboehm
robboehm on September 17, 2011 at 8:08 am

The demolition of the Lynbrook is not a new idea. UA had planned on doing it but had a problem getting the tenants out. Apparently they are still there after all these years. Maybe that’s why they let the place go, ha, ha.

taketheatrain
taketheatrain on September 16, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I saw “Straw Dogs” in theatre3. It was Sony 4K Digital Projection but only sound in the front. Theatres 3 and 4 don’t have surround sound and if you see Real 3D, don’t go to screen 4. You pay an extra $4. and no surround sound.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm

The door to nowhere seems to be a typical feature of the former fly space on many old movie & stage houses – and, evidently, the Lynbrook is no exception.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 1, 2011 at 11:07 am

Here’s an article from a local Five Towns online news site regarding the plans for the Lynbrook. This one has a quote from a Regal Cinemas representative and seems to strongly suggest that this will be a complete knock down and build from the ground up project. Too bad. Still… no official word on any deal being finalized.

Love how the article notes the Lynbrook is the closest movie theater to Five Towns. I can remember when you had theaters in Cedarhurst, Hewlett, Woodmere and Lawrence. Never went to the Central Theater in Cedarhurst or the Hewlett Theater, but used to see late-run movies at discount prices at the Five Towns Theater in Woodmere and remember seeing several first run flicks at the RKO Twin in Lawrence.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

Those were good times, Bloop. Part of the reason I love this site so much is that it brings up all these great memories when life was a lot simpler! Meanwhile, 7 years after the idea of knocking this theater down was first mentioned at the top of the page by Meredith Rhule, the Lynbrook still stands! Of course, it looks as though we may actually be getting close to seeing some sort of action on replacing or rebuilding the theater, now that the Village’s new administration seems to have reached an agreement with Regal.

Here’s another memory of the Lynbrook: I saw Speilberg’s “1941” here TWICE in December of 1979. It played in what is now theater #1, left side downstairs room. Since at the time my friends and I had to take a bus to get to the Lynbrook, we came in late for the movie – the scene where John Belushi is lost, flying his plane over the Grand Canyon and struggling with his map in the cockpit. We stayed for the next showing until the movie reached the point we had first come in. About a week or two later, we came back to see it again, once again running late and once again walking in at the EXACT SAME MOMENT! Finally saw “1941” in its proper order from opening title to closing credits in January of 1980 at the Rivoli Theater in Times Square. The funny thing there is how it parallels my initial abortive attempt to watch “Dawn of the Dead” at the Lynbrook (and getting thrown out of the theater in the process) and then finally catching that movie in its entirety at the very same Rivoli Theater a few weeks later!

And if I may induldge some further free association, there used to be a TV & appliance store called Rivoli on Merrick Rd in Valley Stream, on the corner of Central Avenue where a TD Bank now stands. It was an old fashioned store with TV’s in the display window that were left running. I remember passing it the time that my buddies and I missed the last bus from the Lynbrook back to Queens and had to walk all the way home. Tongues were dragging by the time we hit Central Ave that night!

Bloop
Bloop on April 1, 2011 at 12:08 am

“Dawn of the Dead” was released May 1979 by the way.

Bloop
Bloop on April 1, 2011 at 12:07 am

Ed Solero! Thank you for those “Dawn of the Dead” stories! I first saw it at the Commack Drive in, and it was the only time that I went back and the same movie the following week! It’s one of my all time favorites. Ever better story; one of my best friends lives in Massapequa and saw “Dawn…” at the Sunrise Mall! At the time, the Sunrise Mall looked very similar to the “Dawn of the Dead” mall—ironic to say the least.