Grand Lake Theatre

3200 Grand Avenue,
Oakland, CA 94610

Lost Memory on January 12, 2009 at 4:38 pm

The latest propaganda message is here. If your a Republican, don’t bother reading it. :)

MPol
MPol on November 7, 2008 at 11:14 pm

First of all, even though I don’t live in California, much less Oakland, that theatre’s another fantastic-looking theatre, inside and out.

Secondly, now that Bush and his Republican Administration will be out of office come late January 2009, I wonder if they’ll start playing more of the great, old classics in addition to the crappy stuff that gets played reglarly at these antiseptic-looking multiplex cinemas across the country. The old movie palaces that’re left should concentrate more on great older classic films.

Lost Memory on November 7, 2008 at 10:35 pm

About two months from now when Bush leaves office, I wonder if movie titles will start to appear on the marquee.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 7, 2008 at 10:26 pm

They really need to relax. I don’t like Bush & Cheney either. But this is just silly.

Lost Memory on November 7, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Here is the latest free political announcement.

Eric
Eric on October 17, 2008 at 1:34 am

Strangely, they are showing “W.” this weekend. Of course, the patrons will see it here only to mock it and heckle the movie. Should be interestin'..

Lost Memory on October 14, 2008 at 3:42 pm

I wonder if any Republicans attend this theater. Most of those messages seem to be aimed at that party.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on October 14, 2008 at 3:26 pm

I’m not a McCain fan. But they should cool it with those political messages on the marquee. It’s difficult enough trying to fill up an old movie palace without pissing off half the potential patrons in your community.

Lost Memory on October 14, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Another marquee political message can be seen here.

Lost Memory on July 7, 2008 at 9:03 pm

This is another 2008 photo.

Lost Memory on June 16, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Here is another political announcement. “Prevent unwanted presidencies – America must bring back hand-counted paper ballots”. Sounds like a new movie from Michael Moore. LOL

Karskidecedent
Karskidecedent on February 12, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Just watched video posted above by HowardBHaas listing Allen Marchaan as the owner. Allen Marchaan is NOT the owner of the Grand Lake Theater – he pays rent every month. Look it up.

Scott
Scott on February 10, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Well, now here is why I love going to see a movie. To read some jerk’s political views up on the marquee. So much for escapism.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 10, 2008 at 10:04 am

Oakland’s Grand Lake Theatre video including interview with owner & organist

Lost Memory on January 22, 2008 at 3:07 pm

This is a recent photo of the Grand Lake Theater with another political message.

Lost Memory on January 17, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Here is a photo for marquee aficionados. If its too large, I can find smaller photos.

Lost Memory on January 11, 2008 at 3:05 pm

It looks good to me. Too bad they don’t all age as well as this one.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 11, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Held up pretty well, hasn’t it?

Lost Memory on January 11, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Here is a December 2007 photo.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 2, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Here is a photo, circa late 20s or early 30s:

Lost Memory on November 8, 2007 at 10:11 am

This is a more recent view of the Grand Lake Theater.

terrywade
terrywade on August 22, 2007 at 11:46 am

With the new Alameda Theaters do to open sometime soon with it’s main huge theatre the Grand Lake is going to loose many customers. You watch as soon as the Alameda opens watch Allen re open up to the movie public his semi private auction art deco auction theatre in Alameda. The Grand Lake will have some competion for the first time since the Jack London Sq Theatre opened that Regal just remodled.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on August 21, 2007 at 6:44 pm

Yes National General became Mann Theatres after Ted Mann bought the National General Theatres which was Fox West Coast years earlier. The Grand Lake has always been fortunate to be in a very nice area with parking problems like most urban areas. Mann theatres never booked the Grand Lake properly after the decline of the roadshow films. They had a beautiful renovated theatre and played Disney films. They didn’t start booking the blockbuster films again until Allen took over the Grand Lake.brucec

William
William on August 21, 2007 at 2:22 pm

brucec, Didn’t Mann Theatre operate it before Allen bought it?

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on August 21, 2007 at 1:57 pm

I take it that Allen wants to keep the Grand Lake because I know he closed the Oaks and Park and didn’t renew the lease on the Orinda. I saw the beautiful Auctions at the Bay in Alameda where he poured a great deal of money if only the Grand Lake was kept up like that. I repeat the Grand Lake was in great shape when National General gave up the house to Allen because a major renovation was done in 1966-67. I know that Allen has poured a great deal of money into the Grand Lake over the years and has done very well.New competition from Jack London and Emeryville has cut into the profits of the Grand Lake and money needs to put back into the Grand Lake to compete becuase I have noticed a decline the last few years.Maybe Allen needs to repostion the Grand Lake more as a specialty theatre and classics instead of competing with the megaplex theatres. Maybe a mix of both mainstream, specialty and classics. I saw my first film at the Grand Lake in 1959 which was “Ben Hur” and my last film “Harry Potter” so I have attended this theatre for almost five decades. I really want to see the Grand Lake remain successful with Allen. The theatre really needs new carpets and a touch up in a few places. The above comment concerning Landmark, I have seen them do a wonderful job with historic theatres and have seen rundown theatres they run such as the Rialto in South Pasadena which just closed. I only made the remark concerning Landmark, if Allen was lossing interest in the Grand Lake which I hope he is not.brucec