Arion Theatre

73-26 Metropolitan Avenue,
Middle Village, NY 11379

Decembra
Decembra on October 28, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Thank you TONY :) …and it just so happens that in my best childhood friend’s possession are most the 45’s (which are like 40yrs. old now) in her basement — the music still sounds good — they just played that music on PBS — “My Music, My Generation”. She is holding onto a goldmine I believe. Thanks again for remembering the name of that corner shop.

…btw…do you by any chance remember the Scheinfeld clothing stores over there?

tomcory
tomcory on October 27, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Decembra—That was Midville Radio & TV where you used to buy your 45’s. I bought mine there too! They used to keep the 45’s in a spinner rack with the titles and artists hand-printed in black magic marker below each of the slots. I hate to sound like an old man, which I’m not, but those were truly great times to be a kid! TC

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on October 27, 2008 at 7:49 pm

While we’re at it, the description at the top of the page should probably be changed. It says “it is now a Genovese drugstore” — but there ARE NO Genovese drugstores anymore. Genovese was taken over by Eckerd; Eckerd was taken over by Rite Aid. So you could say it is now a Rite Aid drugstore… but with the way things have been going, it would probably be safer to just say “it is now a drugstore”!

Decembra
Decembra on October 27, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Thanks for posting about Willie’s — you’re so right!!! — the best hot dogs and knishes on the face of the earth —in Middle Village anyway :) About Zweibel’s — I’m not sure. However what I do remember that at the very corner down from Willie’s was I where I always brought my 45’s — oh the memories :). Again — thanks for posting about Willie’s. …and yes — I know this is a website about the Arion Theatre, but one hand washes the other — it’s nice to reminice back in the ole neighborhood where the Arion once stood.

tomcory
tomcory on October 27, 2008 at 5:25 am

Of course I remember Willie’s! Best damn hot dogs and knishes on earth. While we’re at it, anybody remember Zweibel’s (sort of a 5 & 10 store) a little further down Metro on the same side of the street?

reel222
reel222 on October 26, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Does anyone remember Willie’s Deli which was down the next block on the same side of the street?

tomcory
tomcory on June 30, 2008 at 1:21 pm

THANK YOU, Warren, for sharing these photos. I felt like I was right back there again…

Bway
Bway on June 30, 2008 at 12:35 pm

That’s just how I remember the Arion.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 29, 2008 at 9:30 am

Here are two views taken in 1977, during a double-feature engagement of “Rollercoaster” and “The Seven Per-Cent Solution”:

johndereszewski
johndereszewski on February 23, 2008 at 9:59 am

As it was the closest $1 movie house to Greenpoint, I would often take the Q-54 bus – when it was still the B-54 – from Brooklyn to visit it. I specifically remember seeing Footloose here and – despite the poor print and dreadful sound – enjoying it greatly. (I clearly concur with the Arion’s technical and maintenance shortcomings – but you could not beat the price!.)

Decembra
Decembra on January 15, 2008 at 5:24 pm

The Arion (“The Itch”) ….I grew up in Middle Village on Furmanville Ave.—it was safe as young kid back then to go to the movies on a Saturday afternoon with friends. Elvis & Ann Margaret movies, King Kong vs. Godzilla movies (……yes…the matron shined that flashlight in my eyes and told me if I did'nt stop crying I would have to leave). My friends would make fun of me all the way walking back home. Great memories.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 4, 2007 at 5:41 pm

I tried blowing that photo up, but it’s not high enough resolution and breaks down pretty quickly. However, I was suspicious due to the small number of letters — and it looks to me like it says
TEMPORARY CLOSED
FOR
[SOMETHING]
Cannot make out that last word.
Anybody remember a time in the late 60s when the Arion was closed?

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 4, 2007 at 1:03 pm

I isolated the Arion photo which is here in case the other link expires. I can’t read the movie titles on the marquee, but judging by the cars, the photo is probably from the late 60s (68?).

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 4, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Obviously, Doug Leblang’s paintings are intended to be somewhat idealized memories of his old neighborhood, some more accurate than others. Note that on his website he has another one showing the front of the Arion on which the background color of the front ARION sign differs from that on the one we originally saw. Also note that he’s got a photo of the Arion from what appears to be the late 60s (unfortunately, it doesn’t expand if you click on it) and it clearly shows a larger illuminated marquee area than does his painting.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 4, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Thats funny and probably true.

Jim….Are you talking about this link? Just click on the thumbnails and they will expand. After that, click on the larger photo and that should expand further. After you do that, goto the top of the page where it reads S Medium L and click the “L” to get a full screen view. Some of the photos on that site are larger than others, so some of them might not fill the screen. The June 1949 photo of the M train station will expand to full screen by click on the “L”.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 4, 2007 at 12:08 pm

The introduction needs to be updated. The building is now part of the Rite Aid chain, designated as store #10603. Genovese was taken over by Eckerd, which this year was acquired by Rite Aid. I think that’s more ownership changes than the Arion Theatre ever had.

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on December 4, 2007 at 11:58 am

Thx for providing the website URL above, LM, but is there any way to enlarge those postage-size pix of the Arion and the 1949 shot of the Metropolitan Ave station? – Ol' squint-eye Jim

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 4, 2007 at 11:38 am

If the number is “6”, I’d like to know what it stands for. The numbers “3” and “8” make some sense. This is the website for the artist that did the painting/drawing of the Arion Theater. You can own your very own copy for $295. I’ll pass on this one.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 4, 2007 at 11:21 am

Whatever the number, the marquee claim is incorrect. It says “Academy Awards,” not “Academy Award Nominations.” Without “nominations,” the claim implies that the movie won that number of awards. And by the time “Casablanca” reached the Arion, the awards had already been presented, so the movie was no longer in the nominations phase.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 4, 2007 at 11:14 am

The number on the marquee is a 6, but you’re right, that depiction is completely wrong. Even the style of movable marquee lettering looks too modern. I don’t know who the artist is or why or when this picture was created, but it should not be confused with reality.
On the other hand, the photos on that site are wonderful.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 4, 2007 at 10:56 am

I don’t remember the Arion marquee looking like that either. Its even too modern looking for the 1960s. Its hard to tell if the number is a “6” or an “8” on the marquee. Casablanca was nominated for eight Academy Awards so maybe the number is an “8”.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 4, 2007 at 9:08 am

I’d be willing to bet that the depiction of the Arion “as it looked in 1942” is incorrect. Most of the neon display on the marquee has been replaced by metallic trimming, and the entrance and display cases have also been “modernized.” I suspect that the artist used a photo taken in the 1960s or later as reference, and then put one of his favorite movies on the marquee. Unfortunately, even that is incorrect. Though “Casablanca” did have its initial release in November, 1942, it didn’t reach late-run nabes like the Arion until the spring of 1943. On the night of March 4, 1943, it was presented with three Academy Awards, for best picture, screenplay, and direction. Is the artist correct even on that? I can’t quite make out the number of awards on the marquee. Is it 3 or 6 or 8?

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 3, 2007 at 3:19 pm

This website has a number of Middle Village photos including a “depiction of the Arion theater as it looked in 1942”. Checkout the photo of the old M train station.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on September 6, 2007 at 12:55 pm

What’s left of the Arion SHOULD be the building to the rear of and spanning several storefronts on the south side of Metropolitan Ave., with 73rd Pl. a few stores to the left (looking northward; Lutheran Cemetery would be another block to the left) and 74th St. intersecting with Metropolitan across the street just to the right.
I think.

Bway
Bway on September 6, 2007 at 12:25 pm

The Arion must have been a quite small theater, as I am trying to find it on local.live, and I was having trouble, but I think this is an aerial view of the building….