Oasis Theatre

63-57 Fresh Pond Road,
Ridgewood, NY 11385

stevenl
stevenl on December 2, 2008 at 7:24 am

havent commented since 06. i moved back to maspeth as i stated in my above comment. i always go to the cvs that is where the oasis used to stand. love reading the latest texts. wasent the Madison theater on myrtle ave?

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on December 1, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Thanks, Bway. Good and interesting details !

Bway
Bway on December 1, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Interestingly, while the marquee looked different by the time the Oasis closed (it had orange flashing lights in the letters “Oasis”), and didn’t have the circular desert oasis on the marque, interestingly after the Oasis was converted into a roller rink, the marquee was covered over and said “Oasis Roller World”. The “O” in Oasis was large, and a round desert oasis scene, such as this one.
Also, when you were giving the round chip to reclaim your shoes after renting skates, they would give you the round chip which also was the same desert oasis emblem that was seen on the marquee outside in the “O” in Oasis.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on December 1, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Thanks for pointing this out, Warren.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 30, 2008 at 4:23 pm

This grand opening view has an expired link above but was recently reprinted in the 100th anniversary issue of the Ridgewood Times. Note the circular images of an actual desert oasis on both sides of OASIS on the front of the marquee. I suspect that they were back-lighted and “glowed” in the dark: View link

Bway
Bway on October 6, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Panzer65, send me an email…. subtalk66…at…hotmail.com

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 21, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Welcome to Cinema Treasures, depaul420.

I remember a blue flourescent clock in the Ridgewood and RKO Madison Theatres.

depaul420
depaul420 on August 21, 2008 at 5:46 am

Any of you old timers remember the matron that looked like death when the theater was open? especially on Saturdays?

We used to smoke as kids there and she would chase us to smoking section…rotf….

anyone remember the blue flourescent clock?

Oh the memories….

First time at the movies with a girl and a great, cheap chinese dinner at the restaurant across the street. etc….

Bway
Bway on June 30, 2008 at 6:13 pm

WOW!!! Thanks SOOO much for posting those Warren. That is how I remember the Oasis as a kid, when my mother still brought me there. It was a roller rink by the time I was a teenager, and hope someone comes up from some photos of that era one day, as I remember that well too. The Oasis' ornamentation remained intact after conversion to a roller rink, the only difference of course was the leveling of the floor, dancing roller skating Eyptians in neon under the lattice in the screen area, pyramids in the middle, and of course catwalks of lights and stuff up above.
All the plaster, lighting fixtures, etc remained….even the balcony seating was all still up there and visable when skating below.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on June 27, 2008 at 9:22 pm

As usual you come through with the photos Warren,
This is just how i remember the Oasis in its final days of showing movies.Not fancy, but functional.
I did attend it later as a roller rink, and indeed, it did have all the seats removed for the skating venue. My gripe was that the rink was a small circle, that was not suitable for the enjoyment of several skaters. Other than that I cannot remember much, but I do have many fond memories in that building,movies and skating.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 27, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Here are two views of the auditorium in its final phase as a cinema. The central dome had been painted white by this time. How much of the original decor was retained for the roller rink? I’m sure that the orchestra seats were removed, and a new, flat floor installed:

santeangelo
santeangelo on June 1, 2008 at 9:43 pm

thanks panzer….my mom worked at the oasis during the 50’s also …she was a cashier on the weekends & she would get us passes that looked like vouchers …the price for a ticket was 0.25 cents…
wow…those were the days ….i remember that there was special ladies nights my mom loved those times i was lucky that i got to tag along with her on some of these occasions …as we walked in to the main lobby on these nights if you turned your head to the right there would be a display filled with gifts of glasses dishes & other things for the home …my mom was always smiling on these nights though there would be a sparkle in her beautiful grey eyes when she

got to bring something home with her…

Panzer65
Panzer65 on June 1, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Yes, the Italian Restaurant across the street is Aunt Bella’s, and is still there today.

santeangelo
santeangelo on June 1, 2008 at 2:25 am

i remember the when all of olmm would walk over to oasis we were only allowed to see religious movies such as our lady of fatima,
bernadette, & on occasion movies with danny kaye & a donkey & catinflas …i have wonderful memories of that regal theatre in all her majesty as a child the beauty of it was overwhelming …oasis will always be remain a beautiful place in my heart also on the opposite corner there was an italian restaurant does anyone remember that

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 28, 2008 at 3:50 pm

“Movies Are BETTER Than Ever” (1950):

Panzer65
Panzer65 on April 9, 2008 at 12:03 am

Thanks for the photos of the Oasis Warren, spent many Saturday matinées there in my youth, and the memories came back after seeing the some what plain interior.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 8, 2008 at 2:51 pm

The correction in the introduction has made matters worse. The Oasis was built by Sol Brill, one of the pioneer exhibitors in the Greater New York area. Brill eventually sold it to Fox Theatres. When Fox went bankrupt, Randforce was created to run the ex-Fox houses in Brooklyn and parts of Queens.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 3, 2008 at 2:25 pm

New direct links to images of the Oasis when the theatre first opened in 1927:

I’ve been waiting for several years now for a factual and spelling correction to the first sentence of the introduction, but I guess that will never happen. The theatre chains were Randforce and Skouras, but Skouras doesn’t even need to be mentioned here since it never operated the Oasis. Randforce and Skouras were divisions of United Artists Theatre Circuit. Both division names were eventually dropped in favor of the parent UATC.

AS123
AS123 on April 3, 2008 at 1:46 am

I found this site by mistake. I love reading your stories of this old theatre. The CVS corporate office has a huge photo of the Oasis in the atrium of building 1. You can’t miss it. There are only three or four photos that big, the Oasis obviously means a lot to them.

PKoch
PKoch on August 30, 2007 at 9:22 pm

Yes, it’s the old cliche about half a loaf, in this case, as an aid to memory.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on August 30, 2007 at 9:05 pm

Bway,
Nice description of the Oasis and the years of its demise, and you and PKoch are quite correct, when I pass I can still see the memories much better with half the building than none of the building!

PKoch
PKoch on August 30, 2007 at 8:39 pm

Yes, better that part of the Oasis survived as a CVS, rather than be completely demolished.

PKoch
PKoch on August 30, 2007 at 8:37 pm

Thanks, Bway, for posting your recollections.

“The theater did deteriorate fast in between the movie era and the roller rink era, when it was the rock concert venue, the outside looked like hell in that time.”

Appropriate to apperances by Richard Hell and the Voidoids !

“ … and the beautiful old stained glass light fixtures were gone, just marks where they once were, in a sea of blackness.”

A sea of blackness … that’s quite a void !

Bway
Bway on August 30, 2007 at 7:00 pm

Just to add, I was able to look in from Fresh Pond Rd, as after the fire, and when the demolition crews were there, they had taken down the lobby area, and all the stores that butted up against the Oasis on the Fresh Pond Rd side. There was a huge gash in the side of the building at that time where the stores were facing Fresh Pond Rd, and the interior was open to the outside for a short time, so I peaked in. At that point, I thought the whole building was coming down. It’s sad to see it as it is now as the CVS, but I guess it’s better than the alternative, which would have been complete demolition.

Bway
Bway on August 30, 2007 at 6:51 pm

Panzer, I enjoyed your commentsw from May too. I have to agree, the Oasis was also my favorite theater. I was too young to attach to the Madison, and didn’t go there too often, and the Ridgewood wasn’t as intimate as the Oasis, I have good memories there, but it’s not quite on the status of the Oasis to me. The Oasis was my absolute favorite theater, and probably is to this day. I have so many good memories there, first as a theater, and later as the roller rink.

I don’t feel the Oasis closing to movies was the end of it’s “good years” like it was for the Madison. Sure, it was a downgrade, but I don’t think it was a bad end (at least not until after the roller rink closed). My biggest memory is those huge stained glass light fixture sconses that were way up high near the ceiling. There were about 5 or 6 on each side. They were always on when you came in for movies, and would slowly dim as the previews came on, and later darken for the movie….and always on again when the movie was over…. They lasted into the roller rink days. In fact, the theater was completely intact in the roller rink days, aside from teh seats gone, and the floor leveled. Even the balcony was intact, complete with seats up there yet. The theater did deteriorate fast in between the movie era and the roller rink era, when it was the rock concert venue, the outside looked like hell in that time. Of course, the worst was yet to come when the roller rink closed, and the poor theater sat there abandoned, and of course, just like the Madison, although at least after some happy years as the roller rink, the Oasis' fate was fire, and that was really a sad end for a great old building. It’s such a shadow of itself now with the lobby area a parking lot, and the shell there as a CVS…with not a hint of the beautiful place it once was inside. I wonder what if anything remains of the Oasis' dome in the auditorium. I do remember looking in after it burned, and the beautiful old stained glass light fixtures were gone, just marks were they once were, in a sea of blackness.