Roxy Theater

2004 Main Street,
Northampton, PA 18067

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 17, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Lost love the pics …it is hard work to track down all these pictures..

Roxy
Roxy on August 8, 2008 at 7:24 pm

I have to ask Lost Memory if he knows me. I have been reading your posts and looking at your photo submissions here now at Cinema Treasures for several years. Are you a member of THS, as I am? If you are, and are someone I already know, I just don’t know you by the screen name that you use here. You certainly know theatres, and have an amazing ability to acquire photos of theatres everywhere. I envy you for that. Do you take most of these photos yourself?

Rick Wolfe
Roxy Theatre

rlvjr
rlvjr on April 24, 2008 at 11:45 am

We travelled to check this place out last month. Two thumbs up for a gem of a small town movie house. We saw JUNO —– 2007’s best picture despite the stupid Oscar choice — and the price was $2.00. Give it a try if you’re in the Allentown area.

Patsy
Patsy on February 1, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Didn’t notice the price so will settle for the free photo, too!

Patsy
Patsy on February 1, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Since I couldn’t access the above George Rothacker site posted on Feb. 10, 2005 go to www.georgerothacker.com and click on theatre paintings to find the one of the Roxy and its art deco marquee.

Patsy
Patsy on February 1, 2008 at 11:57 am

Just picked up the book, Cinema Treasures after a long absence and found myself reading about this theatre in PA. Very nice and it seems to have been kept original which makes it all the more sweet.

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on January 31, 2008 at 4:50 pm

The exteriors were shot in the film, “School Ties” in 1992.

teecee
teecee on February 10, 2005 at 9:32 am

You can buy a beautiful print of the theater at this link:

Roxymusicco
Roxymusicco on January 22, 2005 at 1:35 pm

The Roxy is a true Cinema Treasure. It will always be my number one theatre!

teecee
teecee on January 21, 2005 at 11:49 am

My wife & I just saw “Ray” here. What a fantastic theater. The owner is quite proud of his theater, as he should be. The theater is in prime condition.

JimRankin
JimRankin on May 26, 2004 at 11:33 pm

It is amazing how many theatres are named ROXY in imitation of the once famous name of the New York City panjandrum of the movie palace: Samual Lionel Rothapfel = “Roxy”. His namesake was the famous ROXY THEATRE in NYC, which outlasted him by only 25 years when it was demolished in 1960. The whole story is in that landmark book “The Best Remaining Seats: The Story of the Golden Age of the Movie Palace” by the late Ben M. Hall in 1961. Various editions of it are sometimes available from www.Amazon.com, but only the first edition contains the color plates.

moviematt007
moviematt007 on March 7, 2004 at 10:42 am

The first film I saw here was “Raiders of the Lost Ark” in 1981, when I was 8 years old. The beauty of that theatre was apparent to me even at that young age. I recently saw “Pirates of the Carribean” there, and was impressed by the renovations that have been accomplished without deteriorating the decor of the building. As an added bonus, the manager took my friends on a mini tour of the building! A great theatre with a great crew to run it.

dave1848
dave1848 on February 25, 2004 at 4:39 pm

My wife and I have been here several times. Nice touches: renovation inside and out, live organ music Saturday night, dollar coins in change for tickets, and a very reasonable admission price. I am sure we will make the hour drive a few more times to re-live our teens.