Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet

1400 Main Street,
Kansas City, MO 64105

ladymjw
ladymjw on August 28, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I remember my last downtown movie was at the Empire and was Exodus. Glad to see the new Mainstreet is up and running. Hope to have an evening at the new entertainment district with dinner and a movie like we had back in the 1950s and 60s.

mormonpreacher
mormonpreacher on November 28, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I think the philosophy behind the Main Street Theater renovation is fascinating. On the surface it looks as though the whole place has simply been gutted and replaced, with so historical/architectural continuity. In other words it is definitely no longer a French Rennaisance theater. But if a person studies the original photographs and architecture carefully, and then takes a closer look at the current theater, it is actually very much in the spirit of the original place. Grand stairways, spacious two-story lobby spaces with soaring ceilings. This is a very good modern adaptation of the same basic principles that Rapp and Rapp were using when they built it.

mormonpreacher
mormonpreacher on November 27, 2009 at 9:22 pm

The other night after the show one of the theater workers took me upstairs and showed me the original auditorium. I found it fascinating to see what they’ve done with it. The French Rennaisance plaster-work is all gone, both on the walls and the ceiling. But, the integrity of the original interior walls, balcony seating area, and floor plan is all intact. The existing six screen-rooms and lobby areas are all built as a sort of inner shell within the auditorium. From the top balcony you can see all of these little structures built between it and the stage. This theater could easily be turned back into a very large house.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on July 26, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Restoration of the exterior looks wonderful but the interior looks like any other multiplex theatre. brucec

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 11, 2009 at 7:37 pm

This theater can be seen in AMC’s new coming attractions trailer.

Aparofan
Aparofan on June 8, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for the link. My earlier links weren’t very user friendly.

spectrum
spectrum on June 8, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Here’s a closer link for Aparofan’s photos of the Empire/Main St Theatre:

kcfan
kcfan on May 26, 2009 at 12:59 am

While the previous owner allowed the theater to deteriorate beyond all hope of repair, at least AMC has pulled off a fairly flawless recreation of the original exterior. The blade marquee can be seen from from Union Hill and the gorgeous terra cotta restoration has made this one of the most beautiful theater exteriors anywhere in the country. Thanks to all responsible for saving this important part of Kansas City history.

Aparofan
Aparofan on May 4, 2009 at 1:49 pm

We ended up going yesterday and had a great time. AMC did a wonderful job renovating the place and everything was very nice. While I wish they would have tried to recreate the original theater, the new theater is very modern and high tech. I’m thrilled that there are movies being shown again at 14th and Main. I took a punch of pictures and posted them on my Flickr page.

Aparofan
Aparofan on April 30, 2009 at 6:38 pm

My wife and I are planning on going sometime this weekend. I’m looking forward to it. Claydoh77, I was going through some old comments about the Glenwood and saw that you had postcards from when the place opened. I’d love to see them. I’ve been looking for them for quite a while. Please e-mail me at Thanks!

claydoh77
claydoh77 on April 30, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Story in today’s KC Star about the reopening: View link

Features of the theatre mentioned in the article:

•All seats are reserved. If you buy tickets online you will be given the best available seats. But you can always exchange them for other seats in person at the box office.

•Six all-digital auditoriums, three downstairs and three upstairs (the upstairs houses are Cinema Suites and feature full food service). And one can show 3-D films.

•Oversized screens twice as big as the industry standard for auditoriums of this size; digital projection offering four times the resolution of HDTV.

•Expanded digital sound with speakers overhead and at the rear of the auditoriums.

•Red leather seats throughout. Plus, each seat is wired with subwoofers that vibrate to low-frequency noises on the soundtrack.

•Improved leg room. Even a 7-footer can stretch out.

•Foot railings. Each row has a raised railing on which patrons can rest their feet, sort of like an old-fashioned saloon, except you’re sitting.

•A “flavor wall” where you can spike your soda with specialty flavorings or sprinkle toppings on your popcorn.

•The Marquee, a full-service restaurant in the lobby.

•Digital posters. Yep, even the movie posters move here.

•Movie-themed restrooms. A life-size Bogie and Bacall greet you at the doors.

•Quotes in the floor. Inlaid in the terrazzo lobby floor are quotes from famous films: “There’s no place like home.”

claydoh77
claydoh77 on April 24, 2009 at 6:30 pm

The Star has a nice photo slideshow with several old and new pictures: http://www.kansascity.com/938/gallery/1146145.html

It’s sad that none of the interior was saved but I’m excited to check this place out.

Aparofan
Aparofan on April 17, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Today’s Kansas City Star has a pretty good article about the new Mainstreet. It promises to be quite a place.

Aparofan
Aparofan on March 29, 2009 at 11:19 pm

My buddy and I went downtown today and took a bunch of pictures. The restaurant off the lobby is open but the actual theater is a little behind. It’s due to open May 1. The KC police officer who was watching the place let us into the lobby so I got a couple of shots of the interior of the lobby. It looks great. I also took a couple of pictures through the window that turned out pretty good too.

Aparofan
Aparofan on March 1, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I drove by the theater last night and the exterior looks fantastic. The inside was still being worked on but everthing looks great. I can’t wait for it to reopen. Here are a couple of shots I took from my car while waiting at the light. It snowed earlier so there my windshield was still pretty wet.

kcfan
kcfan on February 24, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Yes, the new marquee is awesome! Here are a few more photos of the Main Street during renovation at my KC Theaters on Flickr. Hope you enjoy the other theaters too. I will continue to add new theaters as time allows.

claydoh77
claydoh77 on February 24, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Here’s a photo I found of the marquee being installed:
And another taken Saturday, A little blurry but all lit up:

claydoh77
claydoh77 on February 24, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Drove by yesterday on I-70 and the vertical marquee is up, it looks nice, unusual to see this kind of marquee on theatres around here. There are also big red modern AMC signs visible from the highway.

Aparofan
Aparofan on February 3, 2009 at 12:25 am

I just drove by the theater about an hour or so ago and I didn’t see any AMC signage although I was driving and didn’t get a great look. I did see the support for the vertical marquee and the lights were on so I got a very quick look at the interior. I’m real excited to see it open.

JimS1
JimS1 on February 1, 2009 at 11:49 pm

KC Star had an article about the progress the other day. The Main Street, formerly the Empire will reopen in March. The large AMC signage on the building as well as one of the old fashioned blade marquees are now up. Six screens, all digital projection. I believe a restaurant is being bult next door. The KC Film Festival usually held at an independent cinema in the Westport district will move downtown to the Main Street. Originally a single screen theatre that played many 70 MM and Cinerama reserved seat engagments in the 60’s.
I believe the first reserved seat show here when it was the Empire was Otto Preminger’s EXODUS. The theatre converted to 2 strip Cinerama for THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM and HOW THE WEST WAS WON. For IT’S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD regular 70MM
equipment was installed. In the mid 70’s the theatre balcony was cut up into several smaller auditoriums.
Glad the theatre is coming back! Downtown needs a first class cinema to go along with our Power and Light District, Sprint Center and refusbished Music Hall and Midland (once the Loew’s Theatre) live venues.

RobbKCity
RobbKCity on November 21, 2008 at 1:03 am

Construction is ongoing. The reopening date has been changed to summer of 2009.

beardbear31
beardbear31 on November 3, 2008 at 5:53 am

Does anyone have any recent information on the progress of the AMC Mainstreet?

jpr88
jpr88 on September 22, 2008 at 4:16 am

I saw many movies at the empire in 70s and early 80s .I remember one huge fancy auditorium and three smaller less detailed ones either upstairs or down, no wall between the main auditorium. it would be a shame to make it like the new multiplexes. I sincerely hope the original grandeur can be preserved or at least recreated.

RobbKCity
RobbKCity on September 11, 2008 at 3:23 am

The most recent word I’ve heard is that the AMC Mainstreet (formerly the Empire) is set to reopen for film screenings in December, 2008.