Fonda Theatre

6126 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

haineshisway on June 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm

I happened to be at a memorial service at the Pix, uh, the Music Box at the Henry Fonda this evening. It actually sort of turned my stomach to be in a theater with no seats. I saw a lot of movies at the Pix, probably starting in the mid-60s all the way through when it went Spanish. When it was turned back into a legit theater, its original proscenium, which is fairly small, was used. It took me a few minutes of staring and nosing around to figure out things – clearly the original proscenium was not used when the theater converted to widescreen. What they did, in fact, was put a new screen, masking, and curtains in FRONT of the old proscenium, completely covering it from view. That gave them a pretty good sized scope screen, and I’m sure the Cinemiracle screen was installed that way, too. I saw Cat Ballou there, a sneak preview of Woman Of Straw, Torn Curtain, Jaws and many others. As I said in a post above, if you want to see that glorious Pix marquee in all its nighttime glory, simply rent or purchase the DVD of The First Nudie Musical and watch The Lights And The Smiles musical number. I directed the film and we shot it all over 1975 Hollywood Blvd. Great shots of the Hollywood Theater and the Pix and the rest of the boulevard.

bruceanthony on May 7, 2008 at 9:30 pm

When the Henry Fonda/Music Box was the Pix it had a wonderful neon marquee. The plastic signage on this theatre is awful.brucec

kencmcintyre on March 17, 2008 at 8:50 pm

That was a couple of albums ago. You’ve got to get up to speed.

kencmcintyre on March 17, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Here is a view of the box office, circa 1974:

kencmcintyre on March 5, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Is that a good wow or a bad wow? I liked the picture myself.

kencmcintyre on March 4, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Here is an undated photo of the marquee:

kencmcintyre on December 28, 2007 at 9:02 am

Here is an interior photo from the USC archive:

kencmcintyre on December 1, 2007 at 10:30 am

There is a nice color photo of the Pix on this page:

Stevie on November 30, 2007 at 9:28 pm

OK I admit, I saw Jaws there in ‘75. Of course, I also bowled around the corner at Hollywood Legion Lanes (now Bally’s)

kencmcintyre on November 20, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Here is a March 1970 ad from the LA Times:

kencmcintyre on November 7, 2007 at 10:30 am

The Henry Fonda marquee is visible on the left in this undated photo:

William on November 7, 2007 at 8:39 am

The Pix’s marquee dates back to when it was called the FOX Theatre. It was a Great marquee once. (A Lot of movement)

bruceanthony on November 7, 2007 at 8:31 am

The Pix had a wonderful neon marquee and the Henry Fonda Music Box has a terrible plastic marquee.brucec

William on November 7, 2007 at 8:05 am

Ken mc, Before the Pacific’s Pix closed it ran spanish films. The spanish films moved over to the Vine Theatre for awhile before returning to $2.00 dollar tickets. Around that time the World Theatre closed.

kencmcintyre on October 5, 2007 at 7:34 am

Here is a 1970 ad from the LA Times:

kencmcintyre on October 3, 2007 at 9:04 am

Note that in 1942 the theater was called Abbott’s Music Box Theater.

kencmcintyre on October 2, 2007 at 6:53 pm

Here is an article in today’s LA Times, by Randy Lewis:

The Henry Fonda Theatre in Hollywood is getting a new (old) name to go along with its new (old) look: the Music Box @ Fonda. The change revives the name the building had when it opened in 1926 – the Music Box – while retaining the identity it’s had since it reopened in 1985 as the Fonda.

Current owners are restoring the original Jazz Age look of the building, which over the decades has gone through an assortment of names, including the Fox and the Pix, a spokeswoman said. Most of the original facade still exists, she said, and what didn’t survive previous remodels will be re-created. The renovations are expected to be finished by early next year.

kencmcintyre on September 14, 2007 at 9:26 pm