Vogue Theatre

6675 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Bway
Bway on May 26, 2009 at 8:42 am

Hahahaha Ken, I just read you March post today, and almost bust a gut with the “Vogue and it’s tree” comment!!
That ridiculously placed tree appears to have already been there, although trimmed in the old photos from the 1980’s. But even trimmed, what a RIDICULOUS place to plant a tree!

Is the theater still vacant?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 30, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Here is the Vogue and the tree, taken yesterday:

Bway
Bway on March 1, 2009 at 5:34 am

Great photos….but there’s that ridiculous tree again!

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 25, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Stupid double posts. That’s what last-second editing does for you.

I should add that the article included before and after photos of both the facade and the auditorium, and it looks as though all of S. Charles Lee’s decoration, except for a bit in the auditorium ceiling, was removed by Drielsma.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 25, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Stupid double posts. That’s what last-second editing does for you.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 25, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Boxoffice Magazine of October 19, 1959, featured an illustrated three-page spread about the Vogue, which had recently reopened after undergoing a $225,000 remodeling, designed by architect J. Arthur Drielsma.

I’d forgotten how the carpet extended all the way to the sidewalk.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 25, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Boxoffice Magazine of October 19, 1959, featured an illustrated two-page spread about the Vogue, which had recently reopened after undergoing a $225,000 remodeling, designed by architect J. Arthur Drielsma.

I’d forgotten how the carpet extended all the way to the sidewalk.

Bway
Bway on December 20, 2008 at 4:12 am

They should have just planted palm trees instead. They require less maintenance, and they don’t block signage.

William
William on December 19, 2008 at 3:30 pm

At one time the city did maintain them when I worked the theatres on Hollywood Blvd..

socal09
socal09 on December 19, 2008 at 3:21 pm

The tress are a nuisance and the city doesn’t maintain them. You can’t see any signage as you drive down Hollywood Blvd. and they are starting to damage the siddwalk as they grow taller and the roots spread.

Bway
Bway on December 19, 2008 at 3:10 pm

As I mentioned on some of these Hollywood Blvd Theaters, I don’t understand what kind of strange thinking (or lack thereof) makes someone decide it’s a good idea to plant a tree right in front of a marquee. It makes no sense whatsoever. I love trees, but this is one time I think the ones in question should be cut down. What were they thinking?

socal09
socal09 on December 19, 2008 at 3:02 pm

The interior is currently being completely gutted and renovated into a nightclub venue (as is the Fox down the street on the south side)

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on December 19, 2008 at 2:58 pm

In 99, when I was at El Capitan, I was seeing a girl who rented the Vogue and helped her in the projection booth, besides having worked there in the late 70s. They did film stuff back then.

socal09
socal09 on December 19, 2008 at 2:58 pm

The marquee is in poor condition and the trees in front of the theatre are growing into it. I wish the tress on Hollywood Blvd would be trimmed back and those if front of the Vogue, Pacific and Vine theatres should be completely removed.

William
William on December 19, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Boy that marquee shot looks so worn out.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on December 19, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Did the Vogue and Hollywood across the street.

socal09
socal09 on October 23, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Actually the store renovation next door is looking really good. Sad that they removed a part of the marquee but better than the eyesore that it was.

monika
monika on October 23, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Here is the photograph I mentioned in my 9/23/08 post:

vokoban
vokoban on October 7, 2008 at 11:41 am

Ficus trees are pretty in the right place but they sure do destroy sidewalks.

Bway
Bway on October 7, 2008 at 11:34 am

Actually, that would be fine….a palm tree in front of a marquee would look more “Hollywood”, and wouldn’t block it if you “have” to have a tree in front of a marquee (which seems silly to begin with)…..

William
William on October 7, 2008 at 11:16 am

They did not think of what type of tree would be good for the street. The block going west from the Vogue Theatre now has palm trees which goes with the area. The other trees are the type they plant on neighborhood streets.