Warner Beverly Hills Theater

9404 Wilshire Boulevard,
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

stevebob
stevebob on March 13, 2008 at 4:39 pm

This is a 1953 shot from UCLA’s collection, with Joan Crawford’s Torch Song on the marquee. (The location is misidentified in the database as Los Angeles, CA.)

fmbeall
fmbeall on December 7, 2007 at 8:21 pm

I may have missed it in the earlier comments, but probably the main reasor for the closing of the Warner was that the city of Beverly Hills passed a law that no place of entertainment could operate after 10PM, thus pretty much ruining evening performances. I think this was mainly done to stop the rock shows at the theatre.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 7, 2007 at 7:53 pm

Here is another photo of the Warner.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 25, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Cheap seats in June 1980, from the LA Times:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 14, 2007 at 7:48 am

Here is the May 1969 ad from the LA Times:

veyoung52
veyoung52 on August 4, 2007 at 6:37 pm

Basically something like “dreamed sins” or “sins dreamed of”…something in that line.

regisgoat
regisgoat on August 4, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Re: the secret movie from 1969: What a great come on, eh? It turns out that “Succubus” (aka Getraumte Sunden—what does it mean in German?) is the movie in question. I know it’s Succubus because I called the phone number…how could my 11 year old self resist.

Patsy
Patsy on July 14, 2007 at 8:29 pm

I just answered my own question after reading that this beautiful art deco theatre was demolished.

Patsy
Patsy on July 14, 2007 at 8:28 pm

All of the b/w photos of this truly beautiful art deco Warner theatre are spectacular.

Patsy
Patsy on July 14, 2007 at 8:27 pm

After viewing the b/w photo with this theatre link does it still have that beautiful marquee?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 14, 2007 at 8:12 pm

Holy moley. This chick’s filmography is impressive. I can’t tell which weird film was the secret one in 1969, but here is a sample, from the imdb:

Janine Reynaud

Getraumte Sunden (USA title – Succubus) 1968
Im Schloss der blutigen Begierde (Castle of Bloody Lust) 1968
Rote Lippen, Sadoerotica (aka Red Lips, aka Sadist Erotica) 1969
Kuss mich, Monster (Kiss Me, Monster) 1969
Wie Kurz ist die Zeit zu Lieben (How Short is the Time for Love) 1970
Je suis une nymphomane (no translation necessary) 1970

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 14, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Strange ad from the LA Times, dated 5/10/69:

This motion picture is the story of a kind of a woman you may not have known even existed. Because of the unusual nature of the title, we suggest that you call 278-8790 for the title, then check your dictionary for the full meaning so you will not be surprised by the sophisticated subject matter of this film. This motion picture is rated x, for adults, naturally.

Starring Janine Reynaud and Jack Taylor
Directed by Jess Franco
Screenplay by Pier A. Caminneci

Exclusive Engagement – Pacific’s Beverly Hills Theatre (formerly Warner Beverly Theater)
9404 Wishire at Canon Drive

Patsy
Patsy on September 2, 2006 at 4:28 pm

Such a shame that this Warner in Beverly Hills CA was demolished as it was the the site of the original LA premiere for the film, Lawrence of Arabia.

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 12, 2006 at 8:42 pm

I, too, loved the Warner BH. Saw Lawrence there, of course. The last film I saw there was Swashbuckler, but by then it was in a sad state of affairs.

stevebob
stevebob on November 5, 2005 at 12:42 am

In ken mc’s first pic, notice the painted sign on the side of the building that says “The Pride of Beverly Hills”. Yeah, right. Once upon a time.

TVCelebrity90210
TVCelebrity90210 on November 2, 2005 at 11:30 am

beatleMANIA later The Motown25 Revue with The Four Tops and The Temptations with LIVE performances, performed as many as 4 times a day! We went to every performance. I was co-owner of the Beverly Hills Diner at 206 South Beverly Drive as my Mom and Dad owned the world famous Beverly Hills Liquor Castle at 212 South Beverly Drive, all in Beverly Hills. YES, in 1989, The Stanley Warner Theater (Canon Drive and Wilshire Blvd.) is long gone and most who grew up here, miss it! I worked as an usher, floor manager and later assistant manager under Robert Blankenship (Robert was a VERY kind and caring man!) from age 13-17 1965-1969. I still have my double breasted mustard/green ushers waistcoat with gold buttons. Zsa Zsa Gabor laughed “ You look like a young Jerry Lewis” to me at the Ship of Fools Premiere in 1965 Directed by Stanley Kramer!
The Beverly Theater on Wilshire and Beverly Drive (demolished in Octiber 2005) is another foolish loss on the part of the Beverly Hills community. It was the movie industry that brought the attention, money and celebritie’s/people to Beverly Hills. How easily it ALL was forgotten!!! Shame on those who let this happen! Respectfully; David Harrison Levi Anyone know the whereabouts of Robert Blankenship? He worked at the Beverly Hills Hotel for a time then later went I heard, to Paramount Pictures or Universal Studios.

stevebob
stevebob on November 2, 2005 at 10:49 am

I’m not sure in what year the City of Beverly Hills changed the regulations with regard to signage, but the oil derrick-style tower on top of the building survived into the Pacific years. The WARNER letters were capped to spell out PACIFIC in the same manner as atop the Warner Cinerama/Hollywood Pacific.

stevebob
stevebob on October 27, 2005 at 12:27 am

The unfortunate confusion is compounded by the fact that the Warner (later Pacific) Beverly Hills Theater was indeed known as The Beverly in its last years, as a couple of earlier comments mention. It was a venue for live music acts, and could have continued as a splendid mid-sized concert hall.

I saw Parliament/Funkadelic there in the early 1980s. And though that act wasn’t necessarily representative of the bookings, I can just imagine the civic leaders in a tizzy over the element that the live shows brought to downtown B.H.

BhillH20
BhillH20 on October 26, 2005 at 3:39 pm

Apparently, some readers are confusing this art deco Warner Beverly Hills theater with the onion-shaped domed Beverly theater.

TVCelebrity90210
TVCelebrity90210 on October 21, 2005 at 4:28 pm

IF You grew up in Beverly Hills or remember Beverly Hills in “better times” There’s a great photograph of the Beverly Theater (demolished) note: Thrifty Drug Stores on Canon Drive and Wilshire Blvds, today on Dayton Way and Canon Drive Rite-Aid Stores! Kiddy corner to Thrifty Drug Stores WAS the Stanley Warner Movie Theater! (demolished!) David Harrison Levi here: http://www.yesterdayla.com/Graphics/beverly2.jpg

jennilong
jennilong on October 21, 2005 at 11:29 am

Thanks you for your comments and corrections, I’ll post on the appropriate page!

And thank-you William for letting me know your experiences and I’m interested to hear more if you wouldn’t mind telling me? For example what type of strange things happened at late night as they may be worth investigating when we are there. And what dates were you projectionist? If you would like to email me please do so .uk, I do hope and look forward to hearing from you again, many thanks
Sincerely
Jenni Long, www.Twofourgroup.com

William
William on October 21, 2005 at 11:19 am

When I worked the Warner Hollywood (Pacific 1,2,3), late night strange things would happen in the theatre. I was the last regular projectionist to work the theatre before Pacific closed it.