Astor Theatre

1531 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

edblank
edblank on August 9, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Doesn’t work, Tinseltoes. No amount of clicking on the empty box activates it. It seems to require subscribing to something called eFootage. But thank you.

edblank
edblank on August 9, 2010 at 7:34 am

Just within the past few days I’ve found I cannot access any of the clips being posted on various Manhattan sites without going through some sort of licensing process.

Is this a whole extra step that will be necessary permanently, or does it have something to do with the way the clips are being posted by one or two individuals?

Is the licensing free and safe?

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Some of the best photos I have seen on any site on C.T.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on May 10, 2010 at 4:20 pm

What a history.What a great story.Only in America.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 18, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Here is an interesting ad from Boxoffice in September 1951:

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 22, 2010 at 11:55 am

Great photos and history on this site,C.T. is great.

MrDavid
MrDavid on January 23, 2010 at 10:17 am

Thank You for the lead…I will do just that. I will update my findings with a comment here –

MrDavid
MrDavid on January 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I received the glass as a gift from a former New Yorker who’s brother was on the police force the day the wrecking ball was to raise the theatre. I was told his brother helped himself with it’s removal. I was also told that this glass was back lit with a blue lite bulb. I am wondering if perhaps their were 3 of these…the Nina, Pinta and Santa maria??

MrDavid
MrDavid on January 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I have recently acquired a piece of stained glass from the Astor theatre. It is of a sailing ship with a cross on the front billowing sail. It appears to be made entirely of white “slag” glass. Are there any books where I might find a picture fo my ship??

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on January 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I seem to recall that my favorite Bond film, “You Only Live Twice,” played at the Astor and Victoria at the same time. I know that I saw it at one of those two theaters. I also recall that enormous sign on the building above the theaters, several stories high, for this Bond film with that great Robert McGuiness artwork. It was quite incredible, I’m only sorry I didn’t take a picture of it. I also remember seeing two of my favorite war films at one of these two theaters, (I can’t remember which one,) Burton and Eastwood in “Where Eagles Dare” and William Holden in “The Devils Brigade.”

robboehm
robboehm on September 14, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Aw, come on. That’s almost as bad as having a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas eve which we do in my church.

deleted user
[Deleted] on September 7, 2009 at 10:08 am

Here’s a link to a great photo by Ruth Orkin that shows Times Square at the time of the 1939 New York World’s Fair. To assist tourists, MGM had set up an information booth on a traffic island in front of Loew’s Inc. headquarters at 1540 Broadway. I can’t make out the attractions at Loew’s State, but the Astor had “Goodbye, Mr. Chips,” which would later win an ‘Oscar’ for Robert Donat as best actor of that year:

missmelbatoast
missmelbatoast on August 23, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Another color view courtesy of LIFE –

robboehm
robboehm on July 31, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Okay, that’s the why. How about the where. So many of the New York dailies are gone – World, Telegram, Sun, Herald, Tribune, Brooklyn Eagle, LI Press/Star Journal, Mirror, etc.

robboehm
robboehm on July 30, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Where on earth did you find a 1925 ad and why were you looking for it in the first place.

seymourcox
seymourcox on July 30, 2009 at 10:40 am

another fine photo, this one dated 1944,

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Here is an undated color photo from Life:

raybradley
raybradley on July 27, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Nice 1946 color night shot from LIFE Archives,

missmelbatoast
missmelbatoast on July 24, 2009 at 10:25 am

This 1944 photo comes courtesy of LIFE …

jflundy
jflundy on July 6, 2009 at 8:58 am

Above photo of opening night at the Astor of GWTW from 19 December 1939.

jflundy
jflundy on July 6, 2009 at 8:55 am

Opening night for GWTW. Warren reports “A reserved-seat roadshow at the Astor Theatre, simultaneous with continuous performances at the Capitol Theatre”

jflundy
jflundy on June 27, 2009 at 2:02 pm

1945 photo W.45 Street Box Office Line:

robboehm
robboehm on June 7, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Sylistically the marquee looks like the one at the Hard Rock.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 7, 2009 at 4:04 pm

The 1936 photo posted on 8/2/08 has resurfaced:

robboehm
robboehm on June 5, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Love ken’s 1956 photo since it shows the “capitol” name in a distance, which is the way I always remember it, in the distance. Was only inside it once.