Astor Theatre

1531 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

Narragansett55
Narragansett55 on September 23, 2010 at 7:04 am

That’s strange Chuck. I’ve clicked on it five times now and it takes me right to the pic. Try this one: View link

Narragansett55
Narragansett55 on September 22, 2010 at 11:04 pm

“Best Foot Forward” with Lucille Ball, June Allyson and Nancy Walker played at the Astor in August 1943. Here’s a pic of my Mom (on the left) and her friends in front of the WAAC booth with the Astor and the movie marquee visible to the right.

By the way, I spent the better part of my workday today reading all the messages that have been posted here the last six years. Thanks to everyone for sharing their memories and info.

RichHamel
RichHamel on August 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I had no problem viewing. Make sure you have quicktime installed. That might be the problem.

edblank
edblank on August 10, 2010 at 10:02 am

I do clean house daily. That’s not the issue. The apparatus you’re using to post some videos is triggering a “sign up or get lost” message. No way around it. Never ran into this on Cinema Treasures before. I believe that in all cases (wasn’t kleeping track at first), short video clips are involved. It’s OK, though. If I’m missing only video clips, it won’t impair my ability to learn more about the theaters from the texts. I won’t address this issue again because I don’t want to clutter the flow of historical commentary. Thank you, though.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on August 9, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thanks William you must have a newer computer than Ed or me,most of the stuff I try to look up works but not always.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on August 9, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Does not work for me either Tinseltoes,Thanks.

William
William on August 9, 2010 at 4:09 pm

It works fine for me. Saw it three times no problems.

edblank
edblank on August 9, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Doesn’t work, Tinseltoes. No amount of clicking on the empty box activates it. It seems to require subscribing to something called eFootage. But thank you.

edblank
edblank on August 9, 2010 at 10:34 am

Just within the past few days I’ve found I cannot access any of the clips being posted on various Manhattan sites without going through some sort of licensing process.

Is this a whole extra step that will be necessary permanently, or does it have something to do with the way the clips are being posted by one or two individuals?

Is the licensing free and safe?

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 15, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Some of the best photos I have seen on any site on C.T.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on May 10, 2010 at 7:20 pm

What a history.What a great story.Only in America.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 18, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Here is an interesting ad from Boxoffice in September 1951:

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 22, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Great photos and history on this site,C.T. is great.

MrDavid
MrDavid on January 23, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Thank You for the lead…I will do just that. I will update my findings with a comment here –

MrDavid
MrDavid on January 22, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I received the glass as a gift from a former New Yorker who’s brother was on the police force the day the wrecking ball was to raise the theatre. I was told his brother helped himself with it’s removal. I was also told that this glass was back lit with a blue lite bulb. I am wondering if perhaps their were 3 of these…the Nina, Pinta and Santa maria??

MrDavid
MrDavid on January 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I have recently acquired a piece of stained glass from the Astor theatre. It is of a sailing ship with a cross on the front billowing sail. It appears to be made entirely of white “slag” glass. Are there any books where I might find a picture fo my ship??

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on January 15, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I seem to recall that my favorite Bond film, “You Only Live Twice,” played at the Astor and Victoria at the same time. I know that I saw it at one of those two theaters. I also recall that enormous sign on the building above the theaters, several stories high, for this Bond film with that great Robert McGuiness artwork. It was quite incredible, I’m only sorry I didn’t take a picture of it. I also remember seeing two of my favorite war films at one of these two theaters, (I can’t remember which one,) Burton and Eastwood in “Where Eagles Dare” and William Holden in “The Devils Brigade.”

robboehm
robboehm on September 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Aw, come on. That’s almost as bad as having a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas eve which we do in my church.

deleted user
[Deleted] on September 7, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Here’s a link to a great photo by Ruth Orkin that shows Times Square at the time of the 1939 New York World’s Fair. To assist tourists, MGM had set up an information booth on a traffic island in front of Loew’s Inc. headquarters at 1540 Broadway. I can’t make out the attractions at Loew’s State, but the Astor had “Goodbye, Mr. Chips,” which would later win an ‘Oscar’ for Robert Donat as best actor of that year:

missmelbatoast
missmelbatoast on August 23, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Another color view courtesy of LIFE –

robboehm
robboehm on July 31, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Okay, that’s the why. How about the where. So many of the New York dailies are gone – World, Telegram, Sun, Herald, Tribune, Brooklyn Eagle, LI Press/Star Journal, Mirror, etc.

robboehm
robboehm on July 31, 2009 at 2:06 am

Where on earth did you find a 1925 ad and why were you looking for it in the first place.

seymourcox
seymourcox on July 30, 2009 at 1:40 pm

another fine photo, this one dated 1944,

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 28, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Here is an undated color photo from Life:

raybradley