Logan Theatre

4732 N. Broad Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19141

Lumpie
Lumpie on September 17, 2006 at 7:28 am

Anything new on the Logan? I too remember spending many happy Saturdays @ the Logan as well as the Rockland, the Broad and on rare occasions, the Esquire. Cartoons always were before the movies. The Dirty Dozen, the Three Stooges Movies and in 1967, my freshman year at “the Prep” I saw To Sir, With Love (LuLu and Judy Geeson were HOT!!).
I also remember as Jbon calls them the “other kids” and how they eventually took over and everything went to “hell in a handbasket”.
I don’t think that it will do much good to sink a lot of bucks into fixing the Logan up because the neighborhood is too far gone.
Lumpy

BillMac
BillMac on November 17, 2005 at 11:25 am

Anyone interested in helping out with a sort’ve Logan history site email offlist.
Thanks, Bill Mac

gactive
gactive on October 20, 2005 at 2:37 am

Does anybody know of any sites with info or photos on the Logan neighborhood? Thanks, George Chorin

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 1, 2005 at 2:57 pm

A Kimball organ Size 3/13 was installed in the Logan Theater in 1923.

raymondgordonsears
raymondgordonsears on June 17, 2005 at 1:42 pm

The Rockland was sold and torn down to build Bell Telephone service center which is still there. Don’t forget the Broad theatre across the street from the Logan. It still stands. It went from a movie house to a union hall to a church which it is today. As you know the Logan stands empty and starting to fall apart. rg

JBon
JBon on June 13, 2005 at 5:06 pm

I lived in the Logan section, Glenifer St.,from the time i was born 1960 till the time we had absolutly no choice but to move summer of 1969. I went to Holy Child, Broad and Duncanon, and can remember going to the logan on Saturday mornings with the older kids. I remember they showed cartoons before the movie, Daffy Duck and what not. My favorite memorie though had to be when sally Starr “Our Gal Sal” made a guest appearence one saturday before the movie started. The place WAS packed. This had to be around 1965/66. Even know i was very young at the time i still remember the place seemed to be bigger and newer then The Rockland which was on the same side of Broad St. about two blocks maybe more going towards Center City. We would go to the Rockland from time to time probably because the Logan was showing a movie we had allready seen.
Then all the sudden it was like a light switch. Kids started getting jumped and beat-up by “other kids” then one of the older kids from my neighborhood got stabbed by one of the “other kids” and that was it! No more going to the Logan or the Rockland for that fact. I think and i’ll have to ask my older brother or sister the Logan may have stayed open till the late 60’s maybe, maybe 68'? The “mass exodus” began right around that time. It went from you being a little kid able to walk to school or the movie’s to not even being able to come out of the house except to run to the car. Does anybody have any info on the Rockland, The Logans close neighbor? When was it built? capacity?Was it used for just movies? Whats going on with The Rockland now?

raymondgordonsears
raymondgordonsears on April 1, 2005 at 4:25 pm

FLASH BACK: Saturday May 6, 1961 this theatre was playing “Where The Boys Are” and “Look In Any Window”. Cont. shows from 1:30. rg

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 11, 2005 at 9:34 am

There are 10 thumbnail photos of the Logan theater that closed in 1964 (just kidding) here:

RickB
RickB on March 11, 2005 at 8:42 am

What is with the idiot who posts to Cinema Tour who seems to think that every theater in Philadelphia closed in 1964? I started paying attention to the movie listings in late 1968 at the earliest, and the Logan was still advertising then.

Sorry for the rant. I’m not setting myself up as God’s Own Cinema Expert, and I’m not blaming Charles, who is certainly just trying to do the best with the information that is out there. But those guys have a 1964 closing date for the Avenue (not listed here yet), which burned down with C.H.U.D. (1984) on the marquee! Maybe it’s somebody who never got over the Phillies blowing it that year. Maybe if I hit the lottery I will spend all my days going through microfilm to straighten this stuff out. Grrr.

raymondgordonsears
raymondgordonsears on March 11, 2005 at 5:25 am

The two theatres really were different. The logan had a balcony and the Erlen had a great ceiling in the aud. When the movie was running it gave you the feeling you were sitting under the stars. rg

RickB
RickB on January 7, 2005 at 6:46 am

Bob, there is one other theater in Philadelphia that might be the one, except that the location doesn’t match. It would be the Metropolitan Opera House at Broad and Poplar (not on the outskirts of town—a mile north of City Hall, if that). Built around the start of the 20th Century, it was owned for many years by an evangelical organization that did not have the kind of funds needed for proper maintenance. It hosted many kinds of events over the years but I don’t think it was ever a regular movie venue, hence outside the scope of this site.

The Erlen (theater #9129) was right on the city line on Cheltenham Avenue, was occupied by a church and had a seating capacity similar to the Logan’s, but it may not have had quite the grandeur you describe. I could be wrong on that, though.

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on January 6, 2005 at 12:49 pm

About ten-fifteen years ago, I was driving into Philadelphia. In a rather run-down neighborhood on the outskirts of town, I saw this immense building that took up what seemed like the entire city block. It was massive, and certainly got my attention. It looked like it might have been an opera house at one time, and there were two separate entrances. It was being used as a church, and was in pretty poor condition. The caretaker let me see the interior, and they had strung netting across the auditorium to catch loose plaster that was falling from the ceiling.

I scanned all the Philadelphia theater listings on this site, and this is the only one which seems to match the building which I had seen. Is this the same structure? If not, does anyone know which theater I am describing?

Thanks so much for any information.

Bob

jdemarco29
jdemarco29 on January 5, 2005 at 9:27 pm

My father-in-law, Ray Hainsworth, was a manager at the Logan in the 1940’s. In those days film was expensive so they typically shared movies with another theater. The Logan shared their movies with the Uptown Theater which was about 10 miles south on Broad Street. During a double feature the two theater shared one copy of each of the movies. During the shorts/news between movies it was often my father-in-law’s job to get on the Broad Street Subway and exchange movies with an Uptown Theater usher waiting on the subway platform. Occasionaly thing would go wrong and he would return to the Logan a little late to an impatient audience.

jdemarco29
jdemarco29 on January 5, 2005 at 9:27 pm

jdemarco29
jdemarco29 on January 5, 2005 at 9:26 pm

raymondgordonsears
raymondgordonsears on October 15, 2004 at 5:27 pm

AS OF THIS DATE THE THEATRE STILL REMAINS EMPTY. NO ACTIVITY AT ALL. IT’S JUST FALLING APART.

raymondgordonsears
raymondgordonsears on July 23, 2004 at 4:45 am

bmommombyrd: It was this theatre (logan) It look like it was being cleaned up or out. The activity has stopped almost as fast as it started. RAY

mommybyrd
mommybyrd on July 23, 2004 at 12:02 am

Ray: Which theatre did you pass by that had activity going on outside?

sears
sears on March 26, 2004 at 5:16 pm

UPDATE: Just passed this theatre today. Activity outside. Looks like someone may have bought this theatre and plans to something with it.Three gentlemen going over the ext. of the building mainly the front. Will keep you posted.

Alex1
Alex1 on February 7, 2004 at 12:36 pm

yeah, I passed by it recently and noticed the lack of activity. It’s in such a great location…ho hum.

sears
sears on February 7, 2004 at 11:39 am

NO new activity at the theatre in several weeks. For a short time a dumpster was in the parking lot but its gone.

sears
sears on February 2, 2004 at 6:07 am

Alex 1: Several of the old single screen theatres in Montco have been done over (2 or 3 screens). In Bucks co. everything is gone. Most small town theatres are gone. Just a couple are around either
operated by non=profit orig. or mom and pop. The mom & pop operation have little or no money so these theatres are falling apart. A little theatre in Souderton is showing its age and lack of repairs. One theatre that was mom & pop was the 1812 in sellersville. It was clean, well kept, great picture and NOT a bad seat in the house. The owner retired and sold the house. It is not a reel theatre anymore. I’m not really up to date on N.J. I did read about the troubles with the Pitman theatre in Pitman, N.J. (it has a web site) Talk to you later ray

Alex1
Alex1 on February 1, 2004 at 8:37 pm

Thanks Ray. I just read an article in this month’s Philly mag about Goldenberg’s plans for the Boyd and although I think it’s great that a large developer wants to get involved, the more I read the sadder I get. All the politics involved makes my head spin. And although I’m a huge fan of live performance I wish they would keep the Boyd as a cinema. There are so many things they could do with it. Things that would make it a real part of the community again. Too bad I don’t know anyone in City Hall, too bad I don’t have 33 million to restore it and too bad people like yourself, people that really care what happens to it aren’t running the show. Oh, and Goldenberg has plans to restore the Uptown Theater too.

Do you know of any theaters outside the city, say on the main line or across the bridge in Jersey that are currently closed?

sears
sears on February 1, 2004 at 2:01 pm

Alex 1: The Boyd in center city. If they can save this theatre it would be the only orig. movie house in c.c. You really can’t count the Prince. When Ted Turner restored several of his classic films they never played phila. because he couldn’t find a theatre in c.c. This is very SAD for Phila. The only other theatre is the Uptown on N.Broad St. but the area is not very good. ALL the other theatres ARE GONE!

Alex1
Alex1 on February 1, 2004 at 9:28 am

I see someone wrote in and said the Logan Theatre was bought. Does anyone know if any restoration has begun? Also, for those of you who write in a lot and seem to know a lot about the local Philly theaters I have a question for ya. Which currently closed Philly or surrounding area theater do you think would be the most successful if a developer took it on and began to restore it?