Roxy Theatre

153 W. 50th Street,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,152 comments

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 25, 2017 at 8:50 am

I saw nothing but TGI Fridays unhappily if that is even still there.

But during the 70s at least across from the site on west 50th on the south side there was the Roxy bowling lanes still in operation with the name in the Roxy script. It was all that remained as a reminder.

By the way Stephen Sondheim is on the record as saying he often went to the Roxy when he was young. Seeing Hanover Square there was a seminal moment in his youth. (Anyway I believe it played there. Others would know better than I where it opened in NY.)I assume he channeled some of the heartbreak he felt when it came down when he wrote Follies inspired by the melodramatic photo of Gloria Swanson standing in the rubble.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 14, 2017 at 5:06 am

If you were to Google just “Cinema Treasures DeMille”, the Embassy 1,2,3 Theatre would be at the top of the list. Which states in the first sentence without even clicking on it that the name had been changed to the DeMille in the early `60’s. Second would be a photo that was titled DeMille Theatre, on the Embassy page. There is a certain amount of deductive reasoning that has to be applied, because CT only lists the AKA names once on the page of a given theatre. If they refined their search engine to include all the previous names of all the theatres that that applied to, it would possibly lead to double postings of the same theatres if they couldn’t be found. Rather than preventing it. Since most come up automatically in Google searches in most cases. The only thing I wish CT would do, is make it so e-mail notifications go out when comments are added under photos, and when new photos are added themselves.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 13, 2017 at 8:41 pm

If I google Demille Theater NY I first get Psycho at the Demille on a Hitchcock site and my second listing is Embassy 1,2,3 on the CT page. If I put Demille Theater into the CT search engine I get ‘no matches found.’ If I put in Embassy 1, 2, 3 same thing. Maybe the CT search engine can be refined?

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 13, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Also CT’s listings are often under the current or most recent name rather than the original name when a theatre has gone under different names. Can be confusing.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on June 13, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Agreed. Google is much more efficient and faster than CT’s own search engine.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 13, 2017 at 7:18 pm

For both open and closed theatres I usually use Google first, typing Cinema Treasures, Theatre name (if i know it) and the city. It usually pulls up the Photos page of most of the theatres as well, so I can do a quick check to see if what I am about to post is already there. I only search within CT, if I am having trouble locating obscure or missing theatres, that may have been listed under other names.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 13, 2017 at 6:46 pm

I’ve been simply Googling Astor Theater NY and the CT page pops up as an option. I thought there was an easy way from the home page which there was a few(maybe more?) years ago. I’m not sure why now you can only easily get current movie theaters first time out. Thanks.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 13, 2017 at 5:56 pm

You can directly type in your device’s browser the theater’s name, city and this site- Roxy New York City cinematreasures.org and the theater’s page will appear- rather than looking for an open theater, a map, etc.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 13, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Thank you! Things were so much easier in the old days.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on June 13, 2017 at 3:55 pm

If you know what city the closed theater was in, go to the page of an open theater in that city. Then click on that city’s name in the tool bar above the name on that theater’s page. A map will appear with another tool bar below it. Closed will be one of the options in that tool bar.

To post a photo, click on Photos of the given theater. Once in that section, go to the bottom and click “Add New Photo. The next screen will given you two boxes two description to fill out. Then click under the word Photo where it says "Browse…” That will open the sources on your computer where your own photos are stored. Pick and click on your photo, and your file name will appear next to that box. Choose the type of license that applies, then click the “Upload Photo” box at the bottom of the page.

vindanpar
vindanpar on June 13, 2017 at 3:25 pm

I don’t know where to ask for general info but I know this theater gets a lot of traffic so I thought I’d ask it here: How does one look up a closed theater on this site? It used to be easy. I’m sure it still is but I haven’t figured it out. I just get active theaters.

Also how do I post a photo?

Thanks for your help.

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on March 14, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Belatedly congratulating the Roxy on its 90th anniversary
on March 11th. Its life may have ended, but the memories linger on.

vindanpar
vindanpar on February 8, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Comfortably Cool just posted another amazing Roxy ad with Danny Kaye and Yma Sumac on stage.

Today we have Hamilton. Wicked and Book of Morman as live entertainment costing individuals $300 to $1,000 a ticket.

I cannot believe how pathetic we are as a culture.

rasLXR
rasLXR on June 28, 2016 at 5:27 pm

The King And I had its joint World Premiere here 60 years ago today 28th June 1956 other premiere at the Chinese Theatre in LA

Comfortably Cool
Comfortably Cool on April 17, 2016 at 8:46 am

In October, 1956, “Giant” broke CinemaScope’s grip on the Roxy and received only wide screen projection at 1:66 ratio. Ads mentioned only the film being photographed in WarnerColor.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on September 5, 2015 at 9:02 am

Has anyone seen the film bits of the Roxy at the beginning of the film “The Naked City”? You see the auditorium, empty at night, and the lobby rotunda. The latter, which I think was always carpeted, here through the magic of the movies appears to have a massive marble floor which the night cleaning lady is shown scrubbing on her hands and knees, while having dark thoughts about all of the feet that keep dirtying her floor.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on September 5, 2015 at 8:55 am

If you haven’t already seen it, here’s a brief 1938 newsreel clip of the Gae Foster Girls rehearsing on the roof of the Roxy.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on September 5, 2015 at 8:10 am

Scale model added of the Roxy auditorium displayed at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. Photo credit and copy Jeffrey Nickora.

dotty64
dotty64 on November 6, 2014 at 8:46 pm

can anyone tell me about the girls who worked the candy concessions. Did they have a uniform? Were they allowed to wear make-up, nail polish, jewelry? Did they have to stand inspections? Any information would be great!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 3, 2014 at 6:01 am

“What’s playing at the Roxy?

I’ll tell you what’s playing at the Roxy.

A picture about a Minnesota man falls in love with a Mississippi girl.

That he sacrifices everything and moves all the way to Biloxi.

That’s what’s playing at the Roxy."

(But was it an A picture or a B picture? A studio release or an independent? Was there a stage show and did the ushers wear pants or skirts…?)

NYer
NYer on November 2, 2014 at 10:39 pm

The last three engagements, “The Gazebo”, the double bill of “On the Waterfront” & “The Caine Mutiny” and the last show, “The Wind Cannot Read” as posted by MarkDHite opening day ads now in photos.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 2, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Hello Again-

thanks for the reply to my question. I knew when the Roxy was closed but had no idea what the last film was. I had never heard of the “The Wind Cannot Read” so I naturally assumed it was a B movie but according to MarkD. that’s not the case. I had no idea “The Gazebo” was the last big studio film to debut at the Roxy.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on November 2, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Simon, thanks for clarifying this point once again. It’s interesting to remember that during the original five year run under Roxy himself it was the theatre itself that was the main attraction with its huge orchestra, organ, and stage spectaculars including the ballet corps, the male choir, and the Roxyettes. For those who don’t already know, these shows were created by the same people who later made the Radio City Music Hall famous for its stage spectacles: producer Leon Leonidoff and choreographer Russell Markert. The movie was just one piece of the whole amazing show.

After the exit of Roxy and all of his staff and performers to the Music Hall the Roxy Theatre really struggled for a few years, as Simon tells us. It’s parent company Fox Pictures was in receivership and didn’t have enough top product to fill the Roxy’s screen. After the advent of the 20th Century-Fox merger and better corporate support of the Roxy Theatre through Fox’s theatre arm, the Roxy flourished again, especially during WWII as all theatrs did. It remained a leading World premiere film showcase until its demise in 1960. Remember that 20th-Fox’s CinemaScope process had its world premiere at the Roxy with the film “The Robe”.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on November 2, 2014 at 1:47 pm

The Roxy remained a major first run house until the very final weeks of its existence. MGM’s “The Gazebo” with Glenn Ford had its New York debut run at the Roxy, opening January 15, 1960 along with a Roxy stage show. This ran until February 26. Then the Roxy’s last two engagements, filling out the weeks until it closed, were a rerelease double bill of “On the Waterfront” and “The Caine Mutiny”; and then, opening on March 9, “The Wind Cannot Read”. There was no stage show during these last two bills. “The Wind Cannot Read” was a British import starring Dirk Bogart. Not a major release in the US, but by no means a B-picture.

Simon L. Saltzman
Simon L. Saltzman on November 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm

From the late 1930s and through the 1950s, The Roxy only booked A films. Exception was the Depression Era when the theater struggled to survive and booked B movies. B movies were often booked during the early years (1927 – 1932) when Roxy himself was managing director and wanted his elaborate stage shows to be the main attraction. The last A film to play the Roxy and its last film (sans stage show) before demolition was “The Wind Cannot Read” with Dirk Bogard