Loew's State Theatre

1540 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on July 15, 2012 at 1:36 pm

More modernization photos and description start here, soon followed by a multi-page article: boxoffice

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on July 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Auditorium pictured in trade ad for Eastern Seating at bottom of this page: boxoffice

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on July 15, 2012 at 1:24 pm

The modernized grand lobby pictured in 1959. Who could miss the candy counter? boxoffice

markp
markp on July 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Thank you Vito. Its how I was trained by my dad. Yes we all did have fun in the booths, and we have memories that no one today will ever have. I did good at City Center and it really wasnt bad. My back however had other ideas. Its been pretty good the past 3 or so years, but I never know when it will go out again. Im glad I had the pleasure to work with you for all those years. Take care.

Vito
Vito on July 12, 2012 at 8:34 am

Hey Mark, It’s a sad story I have heard over and over this past year but I thought NA handled the transition well giving all the boys plenty of notice time. I have a hard time accepting the death of film which was a big part of my life for so many years. We sure had fun in the booth did we not, that Amboy booth was quite the adventure. After hiring you for the position at City Center my worries in the booth(s) disappeared you handled it so well. I don’t know if you remember what I said to you after interviewing you for the projection job at City Center, I asked one of the managers to take you on a tour of the four projection booths and said to you “after you see what you are getting yourself into and still want the job it’s yours.” I marveled at how clean and organized you kept those projection rooms and how well you handled moving those prints from booth to booth which was no easy task. Best of luck to you.

markp
markp on July 12, 2012 at 7:25 am

Hi Vito. Hope all is well. Its Mark P. from the old Amboys and City Center. I just lost my job a month ago to digital. 36 years in the booth, along with the 55 my departed dad did isnt too bad I guess. Take care.

Vito
Vito on July 12, 2012 at 2:08 am

Your welcome Bill, I enjoy recalling the good ole days of projection from the 50s when we experenced so many new toys to play with. It seemed every year we had some new improved and fun way to project movies.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 am

Hey Vito! Good to hear from you again. Thanks to you and BobbyS for replying to my question.

Vito
Vito on July 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

Many theatres In 1954 projected GWTW through a 1.66:1 plate, with the cropping occuring at the bottom of the 1.37:1 frame so as not to cut off any heads. Some action scenes with important action occuring in the bottom portion of the frame were cropped at the top of the image and re-centered

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 11, 2012 at 8:36 am

That is excatly what they did to show GWTW in wide-screen. Also was a little choppy if I recall. Ted Turner really restored it beautifully in the 1990’s with the orginal 4:3 ratio and gorgous restored color.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 11, 2012 at 8:05 am

Does that say “Gone With the Wind” was being shown on a “Wide-Vision Screen”? Did they just crop off the top and bottom of the image to make it appear wide? A friend of mine owned a ‘50s-vintage print of “Fantasia”, and that’s what was done to that film.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on July 11, 2012 at 7:01 am

The Rivoli closed for summer due to lack of product.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 11, 2012 at 6:53 am

I wonder what the story was over at the Rivoli Theatre that week, as its name is conspicuously absent from the list of averages given on that page.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 10, 2012 at 8:32 pm

This is such a great publication and I enjoy reading it Tinseltoes. I would have loved to have walked on Broadway in 1954 and trying to decide what movie palace to visit with stage show added attraction. I probably would have chosen “Gone With The Wind” at the Loews State and I would have been among the thousands…

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on July 10, 2012 at 9:50 am

1954 reissue of a 1939 classic draws record-breaking crowds: boxoffice

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on June 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Here’s a trade ad for 1932’s “Freak Box-Office Attraction!” during its engagement at Loew’s State: archive

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 13, 2012 at 8:15 am

Seventy-three years ago today, Judy Garland, described as “MGM’s adorable young singing star,” opened a week’s engagement at Loew’s State at the top of the vaudeville bill, with support from swing fiddler Joe Venuti & His Orchestra, the comic Gaudsmith Brothers, and Stafford & Louise. On screen was Mickey Rooney in MGM’s “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” a “move-over” from its initial Broadway run at the Capitol Theatre. Later that year (1939), Garland and Rooney would be teamed at the Capitol Theatre in a special stage revue accompanying the premiere engagement of MGM’s “The Wizard of Oz.”

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 3, 2012 at 6:41 am

Fifty-five years ago today, Dean Martin’s first solo starring film, “Ten Thousand Bedrooms,” opened its exclusive NYC premiere engagement at Loew’s State. Photographed in CinemaScope and Metrocolor, the MGM romantic comedy took place mainly in a luxurious hotel in Rome, Italy, and featured Anna Maria Alberghetti, Paul Henreid, Walter Slezak, Eva Bartok and Jules Munshin. On opening day only at 12:45pm, sex bomb Monique Van Vooren made a special guest appearance in the State’s lobby to greet her fans and sign autographs.

BobbyS
BobbyS on December 19, 2011 at 9:35 pm

What a wonderful link…Thanks Great Movies in Great Theaters!!!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 19, 2011 at 11:22 am

I’m sure that was more of a rhetorical question, Tinseltoes, but I’ll follow up anyway: I remembered that she was in the John Huston movie version of Tenessee Williams' “Night of the Iguana” because her role in it was rather similar to that in “Lolita.” I searched her on imdb.com and see that she also appeared with Frank Sinatra in the 1967 detective drama “Tony Rome” and with George C. Scott that same year in “The Flim-Flam Man.” There were other film roles in lower budget films and a number of guest appearances on TV dramas into the 1970’s, but nothing of note. Her personal bio page on imdb is brief, but fairly interesting.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 19, 2011 at 10:10 am

Here’s a link to B&W newsreel coverage of the 1962 premiere of “Lolita.” And whatever became of Sue Lyon? britishpather

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 14, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Sixty-seven years ago today, MGM’s Technicolor spectacle “Kismet,” starring Ronald Colman and Marlene Dietrich, moved to Loew’s State after a record-breaking run across the street at the Astor Theatre. Trumpeter Lee Castle & His Orchestra topped the State’s vaudeville bill, which had Dean Martin, a rising young nightclub and radio singer, as “Extra Addded Attraction.” Who knew?

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 13, 2011 at 10:44 am

As a young kid from LI,I had a chance to experience this theatre,a summer camp trip to see The Bible.Huge, huge theatre. Years later I was here in either Loews State 1 or 2 for various screenings of Oliver!, Love Story, The Owl and the Pussycat, and On A Clear Day You Can See Forever

BobbyS
BobbyS on October 20, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Thank you David…. It was worth the wait….I felt I was almost there. The powers of presentation sure knew how to show a special film like this one. I remember seeing “The Robe” in Chicago for the first film in Cinemascope at my neighborhood Balaban & Katz Marbro theater and had the same magical feeling. The theaters where these epics played were just so much part of the whole experience…

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on October 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Well, it is far away from New York obviously, but the Seattle Cinerama sure tried to evoke the showmanship of yore with its Big Screen Cinerama and 70mm Film Festival just recently held. Most of the films had their overtures, intermission, and exit music intact and the curtains were used for every show.

Some projection details were a little disappointing occasionally and the print quality varied, but that was to be expected given how rare and hard-to-find some of the 70mm prints were. Also they probably had no way of locating the instructional material for projectionists that the studios provided during the heyday of the roadshow presentations, so the in many cases the lights did not go down at the point they originally would have when the films were first shown in theaters.