AMC Ford City 14

7601 S. Cicero Avenue,
Chicago, IL 60652

robertrdhansen
robertrdhansen on May 25, 2005 at 5:49 pm

The original theaters weren’t exactly inside the mall. There were two parts to the mall – one like a normal enclosed mall, and behind it and across a large parking lot was another large structure (or structures) which was more like a large strip mall. Each business in this second, northernmost structure had to be entered from the outside. There was a bowling alley, some stores, a restaurant, and the theaters, plus some other things I can’t remember.

I also wanted to emphasize that there were originally only two screens (auditoriums) making up the original theaters. A third screen was added later, and then I lost track of how much the original theaters expanded. Ford City East theaters were opened much later, and of course they are now gone too.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on May 8, 2005 at 11:21 am

Was there a theater inside the mall before this one opened?

robertrdhansen
robertrdhansen on May 8, 2005 at 10:41 am

The multiplex is actually separate from the mall (just south of it), and 4440 W. 77th sounds just right for the actual theater location. The old, original theaters were very close to 76th St. and Cicero Avenue, but this newer structure is actually a few blocks' distance from the old one.

Broan
Broan on March 3, 2005 at 9:47 pm

Yeah, it is strange. I’ve never been there, maybe you have to enter through the mall lot entrance? But anyway, the Cicero address on google brings up all sorts of listings for stores in the mall, but the 77th address only shows the theater, so I would imagine it’s correct. Unless it’s somehow carried over from one of the predecessor theaters, but I doubt that.

Broan
Broan on March 3, 2005 at 9:32 pm

I understand that, and it is indeed the listed address, and included in newspaper listings, but the street address is 4440 W 77th. The distinction becomes apparent if you run a search on either address.

Broan
Broan on March 3, 2005 at 8:28 pm

Theatre address is 4440 W 77th St. 7601 S Cicero is the given address of the entire mall.