Film Forum

209 W. Houston Street,
New York, NY 10014

edblank
edblank on September 12, 2010 at 9:41 am

Does anyone have any idea how the Castle festival performed at the b.o., taking into account the fact that double bills in shoebox auditoriums limit the turnover? By chance the featival included all of my favorites – three in the “Whistler” series, “Homicidal” (Is it even possible to be fooled by that one?) and “The Night Walker,” especially for Vic Mizzy’s spooky and imperishable score.

Gimmicks notwithstanding, Castle’s mysteries and thrillers are hopelessly contrived and often plain terrible (“13 Ghosts”), but he was such a consummate ham that he kept me returning as a kid. Anyway, I hope “Night Walker” did well and that Film Forum is encouraged to book more of such Americana festivals.

Vic Mizzy

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on September 11, 2010 at 6:38 pm

hdtv, I was there for the first showing of “Sardonicus” and “Haunted Hill” on Sunday. I originally saw these films when they played in my neighborhood theaters in Brooklyn when I was a kid. I haven’t had a better time all summer. I enjoyed the fact that the older audiences (like myself) were laughing and chuckling at some of the scenes that scared us silly as kids. I also enjoyed the fact that some people brought their own young children to see Castle’s films. I’m sure that they were a lot more entertaining than most of the garbage that passes as horror films today.
I went last Sunday to see “The Tingler” and missed sitting in the wired seats for the second time in 50 years. Oh well, wait til next time. I’m not sure if you were there but it was hilarious to see the skeleton from “Haunted Hill” make a re-appearance during the LSD sequence in “The Tingler.” I had such a great time that I’m only sorry that this Castle tribute didn’t last another week.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on May 9, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Nice shot Chuck.

bolorkay
bolorkay on April 4, 2010 at 9:33 am

Hello,
Is there any chance that Film Forum might be bringing back some of their adventure/Sci-Fi series from the past such as the James Bond, Swashbucklers and Horror / Sci-Fi presentations from a few years back ?

atb
atb on January 22, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Saw “Hidden Fortress” last Saturday morning as part of the Kuroswa fest.

Had not been to the Forum in years and, for better or worse, little has changed:

1. Tiny screen.

2. The support column!

3. Flat floor.

4. Seats designed by the Marquis de Sade

5. The resident hipster doofus who yelled out “Start the f***ing movie over” when they started the film out of frame.

That said, taking your daughter to see a good print of an influential film the way it was meant to be seen: PRICELESS

alps
alps on December 30, 2009 at 9:30 pm

The Film Forum recently installed a new projection system. I only wish that they would sell iced tea again. Love the sea salted popcorn, and the lobby. Gary C is right about the chairs. Outside of Turner Classic Movies, the only venue that shows films, most restored, that are not on dvd.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on December 26, 2009 at 3:58 pm

GaryC, this is the Times Square Forum;

/theaters/2925/

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on December 26, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I’ve been to this theater twice, once to see the revamped “Major Dundee” and once during the United Artists retrospective to see “The Magnificent Seven” and while I appreciate being able to see these classic films on the big screen again, this is one of the most uncomfortable theaters I’ve ever been in. The seats are uncomfortable, the screens are tiny, the space between rows too small and since I saw these films on fairly warm days in April and May, the theater was very hot. I cannot even imagine watching a very long film in this theater. I considered seeing “The Great Escape” there during the UA retro. I’m glad I didn’t. It would take a really great movie to get me back there again.
By the way, wasn’t there a Forum theater previously located on Broadway in Midtown Manhattan? I seem to recall seeing some films at a theater with that name during the 1960s.

alps
alps on December 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm

I just came from the James Whale fest. at the FF. Thank the movie Gods for this theater!!!! Only if they could do something about the young hippster doofuses that seen to show up on the weekends sometimes. Looking forward to Jan. for Kurosawa.

bolorkay
bolorkay on July 4, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Some of the programming that always had me returning to the Film Forum were the early SciFi/Horror Festivals, Swashbucklers and Vintage 007……

Will these type of programs be returning at any time in the near future?

bshapiro
bshapiro on June 9, 2009 at 11:34 am

I agree with all the comments about screen size at FF. But with real estate prices the way they are in Manhattan, I’m sure the staff had a business plan for costs/size that would allow them to do what they do. They are a non-profit after all, and seem to be a well run one at that. And for all the sell-out shows, I’ve also been to many sparsely attended in those small theaters.

mhvbear
mhvbear on April 13, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Yes this is the Watts Street Location.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 13, 2009 at 11:33 am

mhvbear, is it the Watts Street location?

mhvbear
mhvbear on April 13, 2009 at 10:57 am

This picture is of the Film Forum at it’s previoius location.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on February 13, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Thanks, YM. Must have been 1991, because it was in business at its present location, 209 W. Houston, in August 1991.

YMike
YMike on February 13, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I believe it was 1991 or 1992.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on February 10, 2009 at 1:43 pm

YankeeMike, when was Film Forum forced to close its 57 Watts St. location ? Summer 1990 ? The last summer Sci Fi festival I attended was 1989.

YMike
YMike on July 4, 2008 at 9:13 am

The Film Forum was forced to close during their SciFi festival. When the Forum reopened I believe they continued with the festival at the current location.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 3, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Ok, I’ll be the spoiler.

In spite of all the good intentions, near the end, Frank’s programming at the Biograph was delivering some of the worst grosses in the Cineplex Odeon chain. Say what you may about CO, they never walked away from a profitable venture and dwindling revival audiences were not even covering the costs of the new 35mm prints.

It is our good fortune in NY that the tiny Film Forum can meet current the demand without the melancholy burden of profit.

PKoch
PKoch on July 3, 2008 at 2:30 pm

I don’t know where Frank Rowley is or what he’s doing now.

I DO know that there were summer fantasy, horror and sci fi festivals at the West Houston Street Film Forum in 1991 and 1992. I was there and saw some of them.

hardbop
hardbop on July 3, 2008 at 2:26 pm

You say it closed its doors on September 4, 1989, yet the summer 1989 program, which I have open in front of me as I type this, shows the summer fantasy, horror and sci fi festival continuing through Thursday September 21 1989.

That’s the info I have and I pulled it out of the Times. It is a good question. I wonder if they interrupted that series? I remember how those summer series were real popular at FF and they finally decided to stop screening them in the early 1990s. It caused a big to-do and as a FF member I remember receiving a letter from them explaining why they stopped the series.

Frank Rowley had slightly larger houses to deal with and was great with old Hollywood films. I loved his progamming.
Does anybody know what he is doing now?

A few years ago — more than a few years ago now that I think about it — I saw him working at the Lincoln Plaza Cinemas. I haven’t seen him there for several years now so I don’t know if he is still there or I’ve missed him when I’ve been there.

PKoch
PKoch on July 3, 2008 at 1:47 pm

I know. It just isn’t the same, or as much fun as, the Watts Street Film Forum. I was last there on 2 November 1998 to see “Lenny Bruce : Swear To Tell The Truth”.