Festival Theatre

New York, NY 10019

RobertR
RobertR on October 23, 2005 at 5:02 am

Seems “Thats Entertainment” moved here when “Earthquake” came into the Ziegfeld

RobertR
RobertR on October 17, 2005 at 10:53 am

In 1982 the Festival was playing the acclaimed “Atlantic City”.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 25, 2005 at 3:36 am

Thanks for the ad, Robert. I never knew that “Die! Die! My Darling” was in Stabbing Color. I love the ‘60’s.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on July 25, 2005 at 2:03 am

Robert that was a great newspaper ad. It looks like the Festival was not a Walter Reade theater at that time. If you look under the ad for Marriage Italian Style it listed the Reade theaters and the Festival nor the New Torker were not part of the chain. I worked there from the late 80’s until 82 on and off for Joe Torress when they needed extra help. I think when Cineplex Odeon took over, they closed the Festival, but than when Loews merged they briefly reopened it. We had a lot of great movies there when I worked there. We ran Airplane simotaniously with the Coronet. I heard Valley Of The Dolls played there for 9 months in 1967 along with the Criterion.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on July 24, 2005 at 11:53 pm

Gerald – I agree with your description of Night Games. Ingrid Thulin was a wonderful actress and appeared in many interesting foreign films, including Visconti’s The Dammned, Resnais' La Guerre est finie and of course the Bergman films.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on July 20, 2005 at 7:25 am

Yes, I saw Night Games there in January of 1967. Starring Ingrid Thulin and directed by Mai Zetterling, the Swedish movie is generally described as a strange, moody film. Which it certainly is.

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on July 20, 2005 at 7:02 am

Other films that played a the Festival include Bride Wore Black, The Fox,, Pocket Money and Night Games.

moviesmovies
moviesmovies on July 14, 2005 at 3:55 am

Saw ‘Day For Night’ here.

RobertR
RobertR on July 10, 2005 at 11:16 am

It’s small but there is an ad here for “Marriage Italian Style” at the Festival

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on July 10, 2005 at 4:01 am

No, when I handed the keys to Loews the Festival had 2 Century 35mm machines, using 6000' reels no platter, and no automation.

Butch
Butch on July 10, 2005 at 2:52 am

Absolutely not, Michael. Barely had 35mm!

Coate
Coate on July 10, 2005 at 2:42 am

Was The Festival ever equipped for 70mm projection?

RobertR
RobertR on June 15, 2005 at 12:02 pm

Christmas of 1964 the Festival had a revival of “West Side Story” and urged filmgoers to “See it again for the holidays”.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on April 13, 2005 at 9:08 am

Between the time that Reade closed the Festival and City Cinemas re-opened it, it was being used by Magno Sound and Video as a screening room on a month-to-month sublease. The lease-holder and the property owner were trying to find an upscale retail tenant for the space. In 1987 fledgling City Cinemas was then trying to increase their number of screens to gain advantage with the distributors, and partnered with Meyer Ackerman and Magno to re-open it to the public. We didn’t spend a lot on remodeling, since we might have to leave on 30 days notice. We just freshened it up with paint, minor repairs and a good cleaning. In 1991 the landlord, Sheldon Solow, who also owns the 9 West building across the street and also 4 W. 58 St (the Paris), did not renew Pathe Cinema’s lease on the Paris Theatre, instead partnering with Loew’s to operate it. The lease at the Festival, being month-to-month, was terminated, and it also became part of the deal with Loew’s. Later, Solow and Loew’s had a falling out, Loew’s got the boot and Solow took over operation of the Paris and closed and demolished the interior of the Festival to make it more attractive to a retail tenant.

hardbop
hardbop on April 13, 2005 at 7:55 am

Actually, I think the Festival was open until the mid 1990s, unless I’m confusing my 57th Street theatres. My notes say I caught “Romeo Is Bleeding” and “Dreamlover” here in 1994.

I never went to The Festival all that often. I was always aware of it, but even the fare didn’t appeal to me or it was duplicated elsewhere, closer to home.

I think this one was the first of the 57th Street Theatres to close in the spate of closings in the 1990’s and first decade of this century when we lost the Angelika 57, the 57th Street Playhouse (for commercial fare anyway) and the Carnegie Hall Cinemas (although the entrance was on Seventh Avenue) and now the Sutton.

br91975
br91975 on November 28, 2004 at 5:26 pm

Loews also operated the Festival for a time. The Avco Embassy East (later the since-demolished Manhattan Twin), meanwhile, was actually located on 59th, between 2nd and 3rd.

Astyanax
Astyanax on November 28, 2004 at 8:45 am

Having started out as an outlet for Joseph E. Levine as stated above it was part of his mini-chain which included the Lincoln Art further west on 57th St., and the fairly dreadful AvcoEmbassy East, on 58th St. It passed on to the Walter Reade chain, and came under the City Cinemas banner before it closed.

margot
margot on September 19, 2004 at 12:21 pm

People in that Club Monaco are usually pretty nice, and some of them know about the space’s previous usage. I live down the street and have discussed it with them.

Margot

Butch
Butch on August 22, 2004 at 7:34 am

In it’s day the Festival was one of the worst places to see a film,there were no such places as the Quad or the Film Forum or the Angelika at that time.
Not only was the floor flat, but the Austrian drapery LOWERED to beneath the small screen accompanied by a loud grinding noise when the film began. Remember that?

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on August 21, 2004 at 9:19 pm

The floor in the Festival was flat – the back 3 or four rows were built up only slightly, like 2 or 3 inches max. It was an adapted space. Before it was the theatre, the entire building had been Milgrim Dept. Store. The only major structural work done for the theatre was removal of the columns from the middle of the auditorium.

barrywerks
barrywerks on August 21, 2004 at 8:38 pm

I remember the floor sloping up towards the screen at the Festival rather than down towards the screen as in most theatres. Do I remember this correctly?

fornasetti
fornasetti on August 17, 2004 at 6:08 pm

The Festival was part of the Walter Reade chain in the 60’s and 70’s. It did have a horrible sight line and was always kind of dingy. I saw the Pasolini film “ Salo” there in 1977.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on March 19, 2004 at 1:42 am

In late 1991 the proprietors of the Brattle Theatre in Cambridge, Massachusetts were close to finalizing a deal that would have allowed them to program the Festival Theatre on 57th Street as a repertory house. This plan, though reported in a Boston Globe article as imminent, would fall through.

br91975
br91975 on March 13, 2004 at 3:24 pm

A location of the Club Monaco apparel chain currently occupies the former Festival Cinema space.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on March 13, 2004 at 7:28 am

The Festival was known only as the Festival after opening in the early 60’s. It was where Fellini’s 8 ½ premiered in New York. I remember seeing Vittorio Gassman in THE EASY LIFE (IL SORPASSO) there in 1962 at a matinee. $1.50!