Canarsie Theater

9310 Avenue L,
Brooklyn, NY 11236

PtheG
PtheG on June 22, 2005 at 3:03 pm

I spent my childhood going to the Saturday Kiddee Matinees at the Canarsie Theater almost every week from the mid fifties through mid sixties. The admission was 50 cents. I do recall the matrons patrolling the theater with their flashlights. We used to buy a roll of Necco candies for a nickel at the concession stand and stick them under the seats by licking them to make them sticky. I even recall seeing the Beatles first movie, A Hard Days Night, at the Canarsie. The girls were all screaming so loudly that nobody could hear the movie.

br91975
br91975 on May 4, 2005 at 10:56 pm

The on-site construction crew I think, Bway, was/is responsible for most of the rubble…

Bway
Bway on May 4, 2005 at 7:28 pm

Wow, thanks so much. I really enjoyed the canarsie Courier photo. How could the theater have deteriorated with all that rubble so quickly if it just recently closed last year!

br91975
br91975 on May 4, 2005 at 10:22 am

Also, wonder what happened to those plans to convert the space into a banquet hall – and what might become of (or is becoming of) that space…

br91975
br91975 on May 4, 2005 at 10:21 am

Thanks for posting the links to those photos, lostmemory. The lobby, at least, of the Canarsie, looked to be somewhat impressive, even amid all that rubble and dirt; guess the auditoriums and other parts of the theatre, based on the descriptions in some of the above posts, were something less than attractive. Too bad this theatre didn’t get more TLC over the years – and too bad as well what’s currently being done to it.

sasheegm
sasheegm on April 21, 2005 at 6:04 pm

In Jan 1957, I had a Rock N'Roll Group called The Kents…we travelled with a band called the Vandels——We appeared in a R&R show there( a one nighter ) with a few of the groups from the area including The Elegants, The Fascinators etc…..The Elegants followed us, and since we had to leave by the front of the Theater, we were almost torn apart by the girls in the audience…….It was a wild time, and as I remember, a dark theater…..Joe From Florida—-sasheegm—-P>S> We were also appearing at the China Lantern Nightclub at the same time in Canarsie

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 10, 2004 at 12:41 am

I passed by tonight and the marquee is still up and still listed the same movies as mentioned above.

RobertR
RobertR on December 9, 2004 at 4:00 pm

It’s a shame one of the last neighborhood houses could not have been kept up and survived. Does anyone know who operated it?

dvcomo
dvcomo on December 9, 2004 at 3:37 pm

I started going to the Canarsie Theater in the early 1960’s. There were elderly ladies called “Matrons” who carried flashlights and tried to keep the kids in order. It was a fairly large theater with a very wide screen and a deep bass sound system, which was impressive, considering that Canarsie was a small town in Brooklyn back then. It was the entertainment center of the neighborhood and everyone went, realizing there were no VCR’s or cable TV at the time.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint on October 2, 2004 at 4:40 pm

Back in the early 90’s me and my friends from our local chapter of B'nai Brith Youth Organization over at Temple Emmanuel (where are ya Rabbi Bloch?) would all get together and see movies at The Canarsie Triplex..I rememember it being a huge auditorium divided into 3 sections…one for each theatre.

The mens bathroom always hada flood at the urinals and a constant stream of putrid dis-colored vileness flowing towards the doorway.The sinks drain was stuffed with popcorn or jollyranchers, so would ultimately overflow and mix in with the urinal mess.

Now I never got mugged or felt threatened there, but it was just horrifically unsanitary.

But I never have to worry about going there again (if it was still open) since my friends from B'nai Brith all moved out to the island and we now frequent the Roosevelt Raceway theatre.

br91975
br91975 on September 7, 2004 at 4:16 pm

A partial, pre-renovation image of the Canarsie Theater, accompanied by an article about the unfortunate safety hazard its presumably since-removed marquee was beginning to pose, can be found by clicking on the following link: View link

MarkW
MarkW on August 6, 2004 at 11:27 pm

As of yesterday, It was being gutted for it’s new life as a catering/wedding hall.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 7, 2004 at 10:55 pm

I have been here, and it had that dark, old-fashioned movie house smell, and not the good kind. More like a classic itch. I went by again on Saturday night, 11:00pm, 6/5/04. The marquee was lighted, but the place was closed. On the Marquee was “Lord of the Rings” “Cheaper by the Dozen” “Baby Daddy” and “Torque.” And a sign that matinees were $3.50, evenings $5.50. Anyone know why it closed or what the plans are? I guess they left the lights on by accident!

RobertR
RobertR on May 7, 2004 at 12:17 pm

Sheepshead Bay is no bargain by any means for multiple reasons. Brooklyn can support more theatres that are clean and well kept.

Orlando
Orlando on May 7, 2004 at 12:15 pm

The Canarsie was an Interboro Theatre.

Suzie
Suzie on April 7, 2004 at 7:34 pm

Sheepshead Bay now has a multiplex… this theater was dark, dingy and the neighborhood was changing….my neice and nephew used to go to the Canarsie since they lived nearby..

philipgoldberg
philipgoldberg on February 25, 2004 at 5:14 pm

This is one of those theaters that lasted way beyond its use because there were no other competing theaters nearby. The Seaview, Loews Georgetown, the Brook were the closest — and all have been gone for years. Now residents in this area will have to travel to Kings Plaza or the Linden Blvd. Multiplex.

genahy
genahy on February 20, 2004 at 12:32 pm

yeah it was. dark, forboding, sometimes dangerous.

RobertR
RobertR on February 20, 2004 at 8:44 am

Wow was it that bad?

MarkW
MarkW on February 19, 2004 at 5:08 pm

I am suprised this dump lasted as long as it did.

RobertR
RobertR on February 19, 2004 at 2:11 pm

I remember a projectionist Lester Prager telling me when it was a single screen it had an awesome CinemaScope screen with a very deep curve.

fred1
fred1 on February 19, 2004 at 1:55 pm

i think it just close down, i seen no showtimes in the ny papers

RobertR
RobertR on February 19, 2004 at 1:34 pm

The Canarsie theatre is still open, is it the same one?

William
William on February 19, 2004 at 1:27 pm

This theatre was called the Canarsie Theatre it was located at Ave. L and 93 Street and it seated 1471 people.