Crescent Theatre

25-24 Astoria Boulevard,
Astoria, NY 11102

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Greenpoint
Greenpoint on August 11, 2004 at 9:46 pm

Hello me again, according to the website …the address is 25-22 Astoria Blvd, as opposed to 25-24?

Warren if you ever write that book, I would be very into reading and getting it autographed.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint on August 11, 2004 at 9:42 pm

Gentlemen, You both obviously care enough about the cinema, so much to actually contribute insightful information to this website..and I for one appreciate your various entries of information.Like for example I will be going to my friends wedding at the Astoria World Manor in November. I wouldn’t have known that that catering hall was once a movie theatre known as the Crescent. See that aspect of its history now fascinates me. Now I will not only be looking at the hall as a building , I will be looking at as a former theatre and will give it its due respects.History is around us and its all about uncovering that history. Thank You Both, VGreenpoint

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 6, 2004 at 4:19 am

Orlando, I don’t claim to be an “extreme authority,” but if I see an obvious error, I will try to correct it. Because if someone doesn’t, that error becomes accepted as fact and can be rpeated forever.

Orlando
Orlando on May 6, 2004 at 4:09 am

Warren,
It’s not a crazy conclusion, an error only. Since you know so much about every theatre, why don’t you right a book instead of being a teacher and correcting everyone’s comment. I guess you haven’t anything better to do but think you are the expert in motion picture theatres and that nobody but you is the extreme authority. Cinema Treasures doesn’t check facts prior to listings leaving most of thier listings incorrect until they are corrected by site visitors. It doesn’t seem to bother them as much as it bothers you.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 6, 2004 at 3:57 am

No, Orlando, the ex-Broadway Theatre is now a catering hall called the Crystal Palace (please see the listing for the Broadway Theatre, which took its name from being situated on Astoria’s Broadway)…The ex-Crescent is now a catering hall known as The Astoria World Manor. The original entrance was torn down, but the auditorium is at the center of the complex, surrounded by some new buildings. You can still see the original roof of the Crescent. I thought this place had closed, but it was advertised just yesterday in The Queens Gazette. It has a website at www.awm-ny.com The Strand was also situated on Broadway, but two or three blocks west of the elevated subway station. I don’t know how you came to the crazy conclusion that the Strand was originally the Crescent.

Orlando
Orlando on April 28, 2004 at 1:12 pm

I believe the catering hall at this location was the Broadway Theatre and the Crescent (also on Broadway) became the Strand (which was only gutted two years ago.