Chicago Theatre

175 N. State Street,
Chicago, IL 60601

Simon Overton
Simon Overton on June 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Not that I like Conan O'Brien’s TV show, but I suffered through last week’s from the magnificent Chicago Theatre… I druled at the opulence of the cavernous auditorium and the camera angles of that panoramic sized stage. Shame for no opening curtain. Next year hopefully?… it’s what showbiz is all about!

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on May 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Click here for an exterior view of the Chicago Theatre in 1930.

Broan
Broan on April 19, 2012 at 6:38 am

Most, but not all, of this section of stud lighting works. The part around the marquee does not. The upper part does not. It’s rarely turned on.

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on April 19, 2012 at 6:18 am

CSWalczak, that must be an old photo. Thankfully the stud lighting has been restored. I’ve seen it on with a number of bulbs burned out (it must be a pain to replace them) so I’m not sure how often they turn it on.

To see a photo of them on, go above and Click on VIEW ALL 308 COMMENTS, go to the bottom and Click on “Box” 7, go to lostmemory March 1, 2007 that has the photo.

Bob Jensen
Manteno, Illinois

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on April 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I am sure that that is what they are. I wish they would restore that stud lighting that used to enhance those arches. You can see that many of the bulbs and sockets are broken.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 12, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Thanks Tinseltoes for “The Dolly Sisters” premiere photo. That was some premiere on State st. Enjoyed the street car tracks too.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on February 17, 2012 at 5:10 am

I happened to be downtown Tuesday. It isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I still think it’s cheap to brand a traditional symbol of the city. But that is the way things have been going in the U.S. over the last ten years, and if it gets some cash flow for the theater you can’t complain too much.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on February 9, 2012 at 10:57 am

Years ago when it was showing movies ti had Plitt in the same spot.

Tim O'Neill
Tim O'Neill on February 9, 2012 at 10:51 am

This doesn’t bother me that much. Whatever it takes to keep the theatre open. And besides…at least they didn’t change the name of the theatre to the “Chase Theatre”. I think the real travesty was having the Shubert Theater’s name being changed altogether to the Bank of America Theater. Now THAT’S bad!!!

JRS40
JRS40 on February 9, 2012 at 10:08 am

If you look at the picture at the top of the page, the Chase name is in the wavy horizontal part just above the first C. I noticed it walking by the theater just the other day.

Broan
Broan on February 9, 2012 at 9:19 am

It’s still The Chicago Theatre. The masthead on the website reads “The Chicago Theatre presented by Chase” but I don’t see anywhere else using that verbiage. I figured out the date by going through Flickr.

Broan
Broan on February 9, 2012 at 7:57 am

The sign was always meant to have a name of some sort up there, though.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on February 9, 2012 at 6:36 am

That is so bad. It doesn’t bother me on the Oriental or Palace. But this is a symbol of the city.

Broan
Broan on February 8, 2012 at 10:05 pm

http://timeoutchicago.com/things-to-do/this-week-in-chicago/15023003/chase-logo-on-chicago-theatre-what%E2%80%99s-up-with-that It was installed about October 3-4, 2011.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on January 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

That ABC installation was pretty elaborate. Cool post Brian.

Broan
Broan on October 27, 2011 at 10:39 am

http://chicagoist.com/2011/10/26/our_memories_of_the_chicago_theatre.php Here’s a rare photo from when the vertical sign read ABC Great States

Broan
Broan on September 5, 2011 at 11:49 am

You’re right. I’ll delete it.

Ramova7719
Ramova7719 on September 5, 2011 at 10:02 am

broan the nice early view of the audiotrium is of the uptown theatre!

Broan
Broan on July 27, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Here is a 1952 view

Broan
Broan on July 27, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Here is a 1949 view (color!)

Broan
Broan on July 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Here is a 1987 view, with the vertical sign looking very worn

Broan
Broan on April 28, 2011 at 1:00 pm

View link another photo from the lens of Stanley Kubrick

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on February 22, 2011 at 2:20 pm

This photograph of the Chicago Theatre was taken in 1933 by George Mann of the comedy dance team, Barto and Mann.

KenC
KenC on December 14, 2010 at 6:35 pm

From the Tribune movie directory dated Friday, December 5, 1941: CHICAGO OPEN 10:15A.M. TODAY The sky’s the limit for stage revelry and screen deviltry! CLAUDETTE COLBERT RAY MILLAND BRIAN AHERNE “SKYLARK” oo- LA-LA ON STAGE! CLIFFORD C. FISCHER’S ALL NEW Folies Bergere of 1942 70 Dazzling Minutes 53 Entertainers 10 Lavish Scenes 30 Gorgeous BEAUTIES featuring GENE SHELDON SENOR WENCES LUCIENNE & ASHOUR ANDRE RATOUCHEFF LITTLE FRED & CO. (and a few other names I’ve never heard of- with the exception of Senor Wences on the Ed Sullivan show?).