Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts

71 East Main Street,
Patchogue, NY 11772

Bway
Bway on July 18, 2007 at 1:02 pm

It closed in the late 80’s to movies, so I dunno when the UA name began to be used. I don’t remember it ever being called “Prudential Patchogue” or “UA Patchogue”, but that doesn’t mean it may not have been used. It may have been called just straight “Patchogue Theater” obviously at least for many years, as obviously “Ward and Glynne” was dropped decades before it became the Patchogue Theater for the Performing Arts….

wally 75
wally 75 on July 18, 2007 at 1:04 am

KMAN5513

DON’T FORGET SEATING INFO AND FLOOR PLAN

JUST A REMINDER

WALLY…

PS HAD A GREAT TIME AT MICKEY B’S OLDIE SHOW…BACK STAGE AREA WAS

GREAT…

BobbyW
BobbyW on July 16, 2007 at 1:05 pm

I understand that Patchogue Village owns the Theater and Gateway Theater uses it for some of their shows.

Bway
Bway on July 16, 2007 at 12:30 pm

Many of the shows are run by the Gateway Theater in Bellport Village, not Patchogue Village, so perhaps that’s where the ignorance of it came in…

By the way, the Gateway Theater is not on this site as I believe it never showed cinema.

BobbyW
BobbyW on July 15, 2007 at 10:10 pm

I stopped in at the Patchogue Theater today to get some information about an upcoming show. I found a young girl working in the box office. When I asked her questions about the show, she didn’t seem to know much about it. I spoke with her more and found out that she is the daughter of the Mayor. Need I say more? Is this how the Village of Patchogue hires their employees? No job skills required?

Bway
Bway on July 15, 2007 at 8:37 pm

Do you mean the Century in Flatbush, or the Century on Monroe Ave in Bedford Stuyvesant? Or was there yet another Century in Brooklyn?

Bway
Bway on July 14, 2007 at 11:24 am

I think the Alhambra Theater on Knickerbocker Ave was also a Ward & Glynne Theater, but of course, I don’t know if Ruehl had anything to do with that one too.

kman5513
kman5513 on June 28, 2007 at 4:33 pm

Wally – make sure to stop by the box office and say, “Hi”. I should have tickets on sale to his next show (which is on 9/29/07) by Saturday.

wally 75
wally 75 on June 28, 2007 at 1:16 pm

I WILL BE THERE THIS SATURDAY 6/30/07 FOR MICKEY B’s

OLDIES SHOW…ALWAYS A GREAT FEELING WALKING INTO THE THEATRE…

WALLY75

kman5513
kman5513 on June 27, 2007 at 9:02 pm

Believe it or not, there are many people who still think that it is a movie theatre. I was asked (by my boss) to post on this site the exact number of seats and that we are a Performing Arts Theatre, because so many people believe that we are still a movie theatre.

Bway
Bway on June 27, 2007 at 2:14 pm

I think most realize it isn’t a movie theater anymore. It says “Performing Arts” right on the top. The “single screen” refers to it being one auditorium, which it is.
I assume the loss of seats was over the years. 1800 was probably the original count.

kman5513
kman5513 on June 27, 2007 at 12:19 am

Please note that this theatre does NOT seat 1800, it seats 1166. Also, it is a Performing Arts Theatre and is no longer a movie theatre. You can visit the website to find out about upcoming shows and to purchase tickets. The website is www.patchoguetheatre.com

jacktomai
jacktomai on June 1, 2007 at 10:48 am

Hi! I’m new to this website and am thrilled to have discovered it. My family had a summer house in Patchogue from the late 50s thru the early 70s. We spent all our summers there and it was one of the happiest times of my life. We lived in Brooklyn and it was so great to drive out on Sunrise Hgwy or Southern Ste Pkwy every Friday to “the Island”. Not only did my parents have a place there but so did my aunts, uncles, grandparents and even Bklyn neighbors! Back then, when I was a kid, it was such a treat to go to the Patchogue movie theatre to see movies. We saw everything that played there in the summer, believe me! From BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI to NORTH BY
NORTHWEST to A HOLE IN THE HEAD, etc. etc. I remember a coffee shop or ice cream parlor next to the theatre, if I’m not mistaken. If we didn’t go there after the movies, we went to the Bonanza Steak House for dinner. If we went to the drive-in (definitely one of my childhood highlights – esp. when we saw THE MYSTERIANS!!!!) which was one town away, I believe, we would stop at Ricky’s Hamburger Stand and bring burgers and shakes to the drive in. Saw every Jerry Lewis movie at the Rialto and we always sat in the balcony. Remember when the Plaza opened – it was high-class! – we saw Hitchcock’s MARNIE there and also AIRPORT. It is really amazing how you can remember the theater as well as the movie! I have extremely happy memories of the summers we spent in Patchogue and the friends I made there: Ronnie, Bob, Tony, Sharon & Ray, MaryAnn (my old girlfriend!), Joe, Eddie, Annlouise, Kathy, Billy, Patty, etc etc. And can anyone tell me if the Catholic Church is still there. I can’t remember the name of the church but I think it was Our Lady….something. We attended Mass there every Sunday. Originally it was downtown on Main St. and then they built a new, much bigger church on, I think, Medford Ave (?). If anyone has any info about this, I’d sure appreciate it. Thanks!

kman5513
kman5513 on March 7, 2007 at 4:40 am

Wally, I believe that you spoke with me, I am the box office manager. We do have quite a display of posters in the lobby. We are having another oldies show on June 30, 2007. Tickets will go on sale on or about March 13, 2007. We have a great comedy show on March 23, 2007, FRIDAY NITE LAUGHS with Russ Meneve, Andrew Kennedy & Joe Devito. You can call the box office for tickets to any of our shows 631-207-1313. I hope to see you at the theatre again.

wally 75
wally 75 on March 6, 2007 at 10:13 pm

I WAS AT THE THEATRE SATURDAY THE THIRD AGAIN FOR AN OLDIES SHOW..

THERE IS A NEW DISPLAY OF POSTERS NEXT TO THE BAR THAT MUST BE SEEN

IT HAS GRAND OPENING WARD AND GLYNNES 1923 AND PRUDENTIAL ADS

AS EARLY AS 1934…ALSO AN AD FOR HAROLD LLOYD…IN THE SHOWCASE THEY

HAVE AN 8 X 10 PHOTO I DON’T KNOW HOW OLD IT IS..BUT, WHEN YOU SEE

INSIDE OF THIS THEATRE IT WAS TAKEN LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY…

I TALKED TO THE MANAGER, TOLD HIM ABOUT CT, SAID HE WILL SIGN ON

BE ON THE LOOK OUT..

WALLY75

kman5513
kman5513 on October 17, 2006 at 7:13 pm

The Patchogue Theatre is beautiful. Gateway does not own it, they just rent it. if you are looking to purchase tickets to a Gateway show that is being performed at The Patchogue Theatre you need to contact Gateway for tickets. I know all of this because I work at The Patchogue Theatre and love it.

Bway
Bway on July 5, 2006 at 7:33 am

Ed, the place is a real beauty. They did a tremendous job restoring the old theater. They had to completely recreate the lobby, as a fire in the 50’s destroyed it, and it was made much smaller and nondescript when they rebuilt the lobby soon after.
At some point, the Patchogue was twinned (perhaps even triplexed), and that was at some point in the 80’s. It closed around 1989 to movies (give or take a year). At somepoint, all the interior was covered over in sheetrock (I am not sure if that was after the 50’s fire, or with the 80’s multiplexing), but thankfully, it only covered over the interior ornamentation, not destroyed it.
In the 1996 renovation, they were able to remove the sheetrock/plywood wall covering and expose the beauty of the Patchogue Theater as a diamond in the rough. They the restored it beautifully to it’s former glory.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 5, 2006 at 7:24 am

Wally1975 sent me a nice image of an article about the Patchogue that appeared in Newsday recently. He would like me to post it here, so please follow the link below:

It Happened on Long Island

A nice recent photo of the theater’s interior is included with the article. The place looks like a beauty.

PatVillage
PatVillage on June 18, 2006 at 7:29 pm

Gateway’s “Thoroughly Modern Millie” July 5â€"22, “La Cage aux Folles” Aug. 23â€"Sept.9…They do sixty dates a year including a Christmas Show in December…

longislandwally75
longislandwally75 on June 17, 2006 at 10:32 pm

going to see darlene love live ….6/24…will try and get some inside shots to share..

wally1975

Bway
Bway on June 5, 2006 at 9:04 am

Thanks Lost for posting that. OF course, the renovation is now complete, and a success. I believe Gateway Playhouse of Bellport still does operate occasional shows at the Patchogue, especially when it’s a play that can’t fit into their smaller Gateway Playhouse in Bellport.

onlooker
onlooker on September 13, 2005 at 6:10 pm

The Village of Patchogue ownes the Theatre and it is a non-for-profit corporaation. It is run by a volunteer board, has all volunteer workers with the exception of the paid house manager and ticket booth person.

PatVillage
PatVillage on May 8, 2005 at 8:34 pm

Gateway will be doing “Aida” and “The Full Monty” at the Patchogue Theatre this summer also Steve Howe from the the rock group “YES” is going to be their May 20th and a B-103 Oldies Concert June 25th…

uncleal923
uncleal923 on February 27, 2005 at 4:56 pm

Does Gateway still have performances there?