John W. Engeman Theater

250 Main Street,
Northport, NY 11768

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Bloop
Bloop on July 7, 2007 at 9:42 am

Saps, the twain SHALL meet! I saw “Poseidon” upon it’s Spring 1974 re-release at Northport too (a matinee)! I think I have the ad in my collection.In the meantime: here, is a typical cheapie UA Northport ad from when the year was in sync with the price (77 cents in 1977, etc.—even though this is is from 1979!)

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 7, 2007 at 6:27 am

I saw Poseidon Adventure here (it must have been at the very end of its run) and I was blown away. I had no idea it was about a sinking luxury liner — based on the name I thought it was about mythological gods or something and I didn’t really want to see it! Boy, was I surprised. When that ship turned over my heart was in my throat.

Bloop
Bloop on July 3, 2007 at 4:19 pm

Hmmm….by the location ,demeanor and age of this theater…I’m surprised at how few posts there are here with stories and recollections on this decades old neighborhood theater!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 24, 2007 at 1:20 pm

After reading the NYT story, I don’t think that the “Related Website” featured in the introduction is the “official” one for this theatre, although it might have been before the current owner took over.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 24, 2007 at 8:57 am

Today’s real estate section of The New York Times has an article and two color photos of the rejuvenation of the theatre:
www.nytimes.com/2007/06/24/realestate/24lizo.html?

Bloop
Bloop on June 23, 2007 at 10:53 am

I saw “Airport 1975” on a snowy winter afternoon here with some friends. Me and my friends could not get in to see “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” (the main “PG” rated feature)because the co-feature was (and we could care less!),“The Heartbreak Kid” and that was rated “R”. I also remember seeing the 1974 “Three Musketeers” there one summer afternoon. I think my parents took me here to see “Cabaret” and “Throughly Modern Millie” when they were new. I think the last movie I saw here was “The Addams Family”. When the original “Dawn of the Dead” played here, a girl in my high school class was horrified that the audience was laughing at it. Lots of memories from this theater. One of the first 99 cent theaters in our area—which is actually a great idea!

jpark377
jpark377 on April 9, 2007 at 10:36 am

Hi Wally-
I belive I did meet her at one of the Mgr’s meetings, though I really didn’t know her. Will M used to speak highly of her. I worked there when Kim S, Joe L and finally Marge S ran the place. A lot of quality people honed their management skills at the UA Northport!

wally 75
wally 75 on April 8, 2007 at 6:25 pm

this just in…northport may have new owners soon and yet another make over..

more live shows but with broadway union actors….

maint#1….did you know my mom dorothy?

jpark377
jpark377 on March 28, 2007 at 7:23 pm

Nice pictures! I worked at the Northport in the 80’s and 90’s. That vandalism incident, as I recall, happened after UA sold it. But everything in the building was in total disrepair, by then (it still had old Haywood-Wakefield seats in the 90’s!) The renovation is beautiful, but the sad thing is that nobody drives through Northport to get to anywhere. It truly is off the beaten trail, and will always struggle to make a buck, as a single house.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 10, 2007 at 3:44 pm

CT member Wally75 wanted me to share this photo of the Northport from 2006. I hope he’ll jump on to this page and share whatever knowledge he has of the theater from its days as a local cinema.

Bway
Bway on June 6, 2006 at 5:44 am

Nice photo Warren. The Northport appears to be a classic “small town” theater.

Bway
Bway on June 6, 2006 at 5:43 am

Nice photo Warren. The Northport appears to be a classic small town theater.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 25, 2006 at 5:01 am

According to the Newsday story, the present Norport Theatre was built in 1932, as a replacement for one that burned down. No dates were given for the building of the first Northport, or when the fire occurred.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 25, 2006 at 4:44 am

The Northport Theater for the Performing Arts re-opened to the public on March 23rd, 2006, according to a story on page B2 in the 3/24/06 issue of Newsday. The article by Jim Merritt, “Breaking a Leg in Northport,” can probably be found by using the search engine at www.newsday.com.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 21, 2006 at 3:00 am

what is the story with this theater in 2006

TNC
TNC on February 20, 2006 at 9:09 pm

I have many fond memory’s of seeing movies at the Northport Theater as young boy from 1959 to 65. I remember the popcorn machine that would dispense a bag of popcorn for a dime. As a child the theater was immense and beautiful, I remember a lot of red decor. There was always a long line to get in, on saturday afternoons. I hope this little piece of history can be saved.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 13, 2005 at 5:56 am

A portion of the auditorium can be seen in the background of this photo from last weekend’s Newsday:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/northport.jpg

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 2:04 am

1973 the Northport played the “Sound of Music” on it’s re-release.

Orlando
Orlando on October 1, 2004 at 9:19 am

The info is in the synopsis above.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 1, 2004 at 8:16 am

any info on this theater / for sale

Orlando
Orlando on September 30, 2004 at 3:22 pm

It will be saved.

RonMotta
RonMotta on September 30, 2004 at 2:01 pm

The Larkfield Theatre is now—surprise, surprise—an office building. My Dad took me there when I was five to see “Jaws” (which I LOVED—I was a fearless kid) and I remember seeing a double-bill of “Grease” and “Saturday Night Fever.” I pass by it now when I go to the train station in the morning. Does anyone know the status of the Northport?