John W. Engeman Theater

250 Main Street,
Northport, NY 11768

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

jpark377
jpark377 on April 9, 2007 at 6:36 pm

Hi Wally-
I belive I did meet her at one of the Mgr’s meetings, though I really didn’t know her. Will M used to speak highly of her. I worked there when Kim S, Joe L and finally Marge S ran the place. A lot of quality people honed their management skills at the UA Northport!

wally 75
wally 75 on April 9, 2007 at 2:25 am

this just in…northport may have new owners soon and yet another make over..

more live shows but with broadway union actors….

maint#1….did you know my mom dorothy?

jpark377
jpark377 on March 29, 2007 at 3:23 am

Nice pictures! I worked at the Northport in the 80’s and 90’s. That vandalism incident, as I recall, happened after UA sold it. But everything in the building was in total disrepair, by then (it still had old Haywood-Wakefield seats in the 90’s!) The renovation is beautiful, but the sad thing is that nobody drives through Northport to get to anywhere. It truly is off the beaten trail, and will always struggle to make a buck, as a single house.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 10, 2007 at 11:44 pm

CT member Wally75 wanted me to share this photo of the Northport from 2006. I hope he’ll jump on to this page and share whatever knowledge he has of the theater from its days as a local cinema.

Bway
Bway on June 6, 2006 at 1:44 pm

Nice photo Warren. The Northport appears to be a classic “small town” theater.

Bway
Bway on June 6, 2006 at 1:43 pm

Nice photo Warren. The Northport appears to be a classic small town theater.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on February 21, 2006 at 11:00 am

what is the story with this theater in 2006

TNC
TNC on February 21, 2006 at 5:09 am

I have many fond memory’s of seeing movies at the Northport Theater as young boy from 1959 to 65. I remember the popcorn machine that would dispense a bag of popcorn for a dime. As a child the theater was immense and beautiful, I remember a lot of red decor. There was always a long line to get in, on saturday afternoons. I hope this little piece of history can be saved.

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 10:04 am

1973 the Northport played the “Sound of Music” on it’s re-release.

Orlando
Orlando on October 1, 2004 at 5:19 pm

The info is in the synopsis above.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 1, 2004 at 4:16 pm

any info on this theater / for sale

RonMotta
RonMotta on September 30, 2004 at 10:01 pm

The Larkfield Theatre is now—surprise, surprise—an office building. My Dad took me there when I was five to see “Jaws” (which I LOVED—I was a fearless kid) and I remember seeing a double-bill of “Grease” and “Saturday Night Fever.” I pass by it now when I go to the train station in the morning. Does anyone know the status of the Northport?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 25, 2004 at 9:39 pm

the theater was on larkfield road

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 25, 2004 at 9:38 pm

in that theater twice as a kid the theater was old then. The theater entrance was no the parking lot side not on the street side

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 25, 2004 at 8:44 pm

Holes in walls , seats pulled out of the floors….bway did you work in the movie bsns

Bway
Bway on August 23, 2004 at 11:29 pm

Wow, that had to be some destruction. What did they do?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 23, 2004 at 10:25 pm

the theater was closed when the vandalism took place

Bway
Bway on August 23, 2004 at 6:30 pm

Did the theater close from 1997 to 1999 after this “severe vandalism”? What happened that it had to be restored?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 21, 2004 at 5:39 am

this theater operated by UA for years was a .76cents house in 1976 and then became a 99 cents house for many years. a very nice local theater

bamtino
bamtino on June 25, 2004 at 7:36 pm

I believe you are correct Warren. I’d been working on several LI theaters simultaneously and, your comment having inspired me to double check my research, I believe I mistakenly included that piece of info here accidentally. Though the theater did (does) have a stage, I’ve found no evidence that it was used for live performances upon its opening. Thanks, I will submit a revision.