Metropolitan Theatre

241 E. 14th Street,
New York, NY 10003

Bwayniteowl
Bwayniteowl on December 20, 2006 at 1:06 pm

I stand corrected and apologize for posting incorrect information. Thank you for clarifying.

Bwayniteowl
Bwayniteowl on December 19, 2006 at 1:48 pm

This theatre has a much richer past than would be indicated here. It was home to Tony Pastor’s New Fourteenth St Theatre, the home of vaudeville in NYC.

In 1881 Pastor leased the Germania Theatre and renamed it Tony Pastor’s New Fourteenth Street Theatre, announcing that it would be “catering to the ladies, and presenting for the amusement of the cultivated and aesthetic Pure Music and Comedy, Burlesque, and Farce.” Tony Pastor’s, as it came to be known, played variety shows until 1908. It was the most popular New York theatre of the 1880s, paving the way for the theatrical ventures of the impresarios B. F. Keith and Oscar Hammerstein, but by the first years of the twentieth century theatergoers had gone northward to venues in Times Square. In 1908 the Fourteenth Street Theatre became a motion picture theater; the same year, Pastor decided not to renew the lease.

Also from the website.

1875 when he took over the Metropolitan Theatre at 585 Broadway. It was here that he worked to perfect the form of entertainment known as legitimate vaudeville, variety which was suitable for women and children as well as the traditional male audience.

Although not a movie house that I am aware of, perhaps we could restore the Metropolitian entry at that address until more research can be done. And we could add Germania as an entry to this address.

Although I was never inside, I can remember the thrill I got when walking on 14th St in the late 70’s, I came across a slab of sidewalk that had “Tony Pastor’s” inset in white tiles. I never saw it again and had since wondered where it was but even at the time, I knew I was somewhere historic.

RobertR
RobertR on October 4, 2006 at 12:12 pm

1975 now featuring Super Panascope :)

acmorrison
acmorrison on July 19, 2006 at 3:35 am

This indeed prolific architect always used both names and two middle initials—Lorenz F. J. Weiher. Note the spelling correction of his last name.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 16, 2005 at 6:17 pm

I just had a flashback rush when I saw that pic. Truly one of the filthiest theatres I have ever been in, in every sense of the word. Made the Variety Photoplays seem like a day at the Cloisters.

philipgoldberg
philipgoldberg on July 19, 2004 at 2:15 pm

A sliver-sized apartment building now occupies the site.

Bway
Bway on July 19, 2004 at 11:20 am

Warren, do you know what the building is used for now?
Is the interior intact?