Grandview Theatre

1247 Grandview Avenue,
Columbus, OH 43212

deleted user
[Deleted] on November 8, 2008 at 6:31 pm

A friend of mine has a Wurlitzer theater organ of about 8 or 9 ranks. It’s possible that parts of this instrument came from the organ that used to be in the Grandview.

danpetitpas
danpetitpas on November 4, 2008 at 8:32 am

Here’s another article on Grandview’s renovation.

danpetitpas
danpetitpas on October 31, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Here’s an article on the Grandview’s renovation.

David Nedrow is spending $50,000 of his savings to reopen the theater.

David Nedrow
David Nedrow on October 28, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Mark L,

No screen additions. There is ZERO way to add screens that would be any larger than what people could do at home. Even using the adjoining storefront(s) might give you screens with 50 seats. The size of the auditorium has been diminished once in the past, so I wouldn’t want to take any space there. We’ll just have to work hard to keep people coming to the single screen. ;)

We WILL be upgrading equipment. We will be running archive prints, so we’ll be installing a matched pair with vertical feed and take-up. In the short term, I may work something out with Jeff, but the stuff is in bad shape at this point and I would have to rebuild the Simplex at a minimum. I’ve got RFIs out now to Strong, Kinoton, Christie. The acoustics are the number one issue for me. As you know, they’re awful. I often have trouble with dialog, and that is a frequent complaint from friends.

Kind of going back to the “adding screans” bit, a better use of one of the storefronts would be new men’s and women’s rooms. We would use the existing women’s room as a unisex handicapped bathroom. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Grandview Theatre, the “men’s room” is actually a “man’s room” and neither bathroom has accommodation for wheelchairs.

Monika,

Thanks for the jpeg. My wife and I were looking for decorating ideas at our metro library and came across that book. It’s the first color picture of the exterior I’ve seen prior to the marquee being removed. I’m still hoping to track down someone in the neighborhood with a color picture of the marquee in good shape.

I’m with you re: the page for this theatre. I’ll ask if CT can swap names for 7763 — IE “Grandview Theatre” (also known as Drexel Grandview).

Ron,

No plans for live entertainment for now, as there isn’t much of a stage. Maybe the occasional tie-in with a movie. We would like to expand the stage out a bit toward the first row of seats. I need to check sight-lines as to whether that is workable.

David

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on October 26, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Will you be presenting just movies, or also live entertainment?

monika
monika on October 26, 2008 at 9:37 am

David,

That’s great! I am so pleased to hear that new life will be brought into that wonderful place. Here is a link to a page from a book (“Ticket To Paradise”, out of print but available at half.com for a decent price) that featured the Grandview: http://www.achangeinscenery.com/grandview1.jpg

Perhaps Cinema Treasures can remove the “Drexel” from this page, as it is not the name of the theatre, “Grandview” is.

Mark_L
Mark_L on October 25, 2008 at 1:49 pm

David,

Nice to hear you are taking on the Grandview. I wish you the best of luck.

Are you planning on adding screens? Upgrading equipment? Improving acoustics?

Mark L

David Nedrow
David Nedrow on October 25, 2008 at 1:37 pm

The Grandview Theatre (né Drexel Grandview né Grandview Theatre) is expected to resume programming early 2009. My wife and I will be the new operators. We’d like to open sooner, but there is a lot of cleanup and renovation to be done.

David Nedrow

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 30, 2008 at 4:38 pm

The theatre will close on September 30, 2008. This email was sent to Drexel Email subscribers:

Dear DREXEL Family,

It is with heavy hearts that we have to announce that tonight, September 30, 2008, will be the last night of movies at the Drexel Grandview Theatre.

After the windstorm that closed the Drexel East and Radio Café for most of five days, we tried hard; but unsuccessfully, to reach
agreement with the Grandview property owner so that we could keep the theatre open for a closing night party. Jeff and I will be at the Grandview tonight to say goodbye to any who come in, gather a few things, and secure the building until we can pack up the bulk of the theatre equipment and move it out in the next few days. We express our deep gratitude to all of you who have shared your Drexel Grandview stories, sent sad but good wishes, and even made offers of services in behalf of possibly keeping the theatre open.

Let us look on the brighter side. We have heard from so many of you and benefited so much personally from your good will. Our Drexel 3-screen theatre and Radio Café are alive and well. We have lots of programming and operational goals to accomplish in the very next few weeks so that we may continue to bring independent film and events to Columbus. We can certainly use all of your help.

We hope you will visit us at the Drexel Theatre in Bexley, even though it may not be the movie theatre closest to your home. We need lots of support and help to thrive at our business in this very difficult economic time.

Accept our heartfelt thanks and please, please continue to visit the Drexel Theatre and Radio Café. Feel free to share your ideas and thoughts with us directly through response to

Warm Regards,

Jeff and Kathy Frank

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 28, 2008 at 11:16 am

Showtimes through October 2, 2008 are now up on the web site, so they will be open at least one additional week.

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 26, 2008 at 10:37 am

In an email to Drexel patrons sent Friday afternoon, 9/26/08, Jeff Frank announced “Because of the severe storms last week and the loss of power at both our theatres and café, and the fact that many people were without power, we decided it would be best to postpone our Grand Closing Event for Drexel Grandview. We are currently working on keeping the theatre open for a few additional weeks so we can plan this event and we’re still trying to work out a way to keep the theatre open longer.”

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 24, 2008 at 2:15 am

The Strand in Delaware was opened in April of 1916.

DrexelGrandview
DrexelGrandview on September 24, 2008 at 12:49 am

Speaking as a former employee who worked at both the Drexel Grandview and the Drexel East, it is terribly sad that the Grandview location will be closing at the end of this week. The Drexel Grandview holds many happy memories for me, and I will miss being able to go to movies there.

A little history about the Grandview Theatre: the building houses the oldest movie theatre in the state of Ohio (not to be confused with the Ohio or Palace Theaters which hold mainly live performances). The Grandview Theatre was not always a Drexel; it was not until 1988 that the Franks aquired the lease, and it was a second run theatre until 1993 when the Franks decided to make it into an art house.

The original theatre had no concession area, and seating went all the way back to the arch, near where the box office is currently located. The original box office was in the foyer where there is now a big black square. There is a backstage area; however, it is not large enough to accomodate live performances. The area in back of the screen is currently used for storage, but even without all of the items in the back of the screen, space is minimal. There is also a second door to the left of the screen, but that only leads to the boiler room, and would be of no use to anyone looking for extra space.

There was a point when the Franks were contemplating the addition of another screen. The additional screen was going to be located in one of the storefronts next to the theatre, but the plans were never finalized. I can say, with confidence, that building a second screen in one of the storefronts would have been a bad idea as those stores are very small. Had the addition been built, the second screen theatre would have been smaller than the smallest theatre at the Drexel East (very cramped).

I don’t know what Mrs. Stoltz has in mind for the beloved Grandview theatre, but she is evidently not willing to sell the property. I also doubt that she will raze the theatre as the Ohio Historical Society might step in to save the historic building. I had hoped by now that it would have been added to the list of historic places in Ohio, but as far as I know it has not. I truly hope that someone takes the initiative to repair it and keep it around for generations beyond ours can enjoy the theatre as well.

danpetitpas
danpetitpas on September 23, 2008 at 8:28 am

The Grandview is closing Sept 27th.

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 23, 2008 at 5:00 am

I noticed the last time I was over that way that there is a door to the backstage area.

wayfarer75
wayfarer75 on September 23, 2008 at 4:06 am

Beauregard is the name given to the parrot by the employees of the Drexel Grandview shortly after it reopened in 1993. During the renovation before it opened as a Drexel theater, the existing murals were all painted over except the parrot. Not sure when they were originally done.

The theater used to be used for vaudeville, so one would assume there is/was a dressing room area, though I never saw it when I worked there. There is a stage, currently used for storage.

monika
monika on September 21, 2008 at 8:03 pm

If you’ve been to the Grandview, you may have seen “Beauregard”, the parrot (or some other kind of tropical bird) painted on the wall between the box office door and the door that leads to the projection booth ladder. Apparently the lobby was painted with elaborate murals with a tropical setting, and was painted over sometime, leaving only Beauregard as a reminder of once was.

Unfortunately I do not have more specific details or any good photographs… I may have one somewhere with Beauregard in the background, I’ll share if I come across one.

David Nedrow
David Nedrow on September 21, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Does anyone out there know what the original interior was like before the construction of the new retail space/main lobby? Any pictures of the (original) interior?

-David

David Nedrow
David Nedrow on September 13, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Ron,

I’m wondering the same re: the 1923 date. Maybe that’s when ground was broken for it?

Otherwise, as you ask, what did it do for three years? Another theatre before the Grandview in that house?

-David

David Nedrow
David Nedrow on September 11, 2008 at 10:48 am

SOrry, when I was writing “theatre” I was doing so in the context of functioning movie theatres. Which is why I didn’t count the Southern.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on September 10, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Does that mean it was used for some other purpose for three years before becoming a theatre?

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 10, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Oh, and for the record, the county auditor site lists the property being built in 1923.

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 10, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Regarding the two store rooms on either side of the theatre…I looked the property up on the County Auditor site and did some measuring. Looks like those rooms are 16' wide and 40' long. You COULD put a screening room in there, but after you take out space for a booth and screen/speakers, you aren’t left with much.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on September 10, 2008 at 6:41 am

The Southern Theatre is older than either the Grandview or the Palace, though it no longer shows movies. The Lincoln may also be older than the Grandview.