Walter Reade Theater

165 West 65th Street,
New York, NY 10023

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on November 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm

The Film Society of Lincoln Center has announced a festival of fifteen 70mm films that will run from Dec. 21, 2012 to Jan. 1, 2013.

TorstenAdair
TorstenAdair on January 31, 2012 at 7:27 am

“For five days Film Society is delighted to bring back to the big screen a showcase of rarely screened mainstream classics all on the best projection formats available with the lady herself here to talk about them.”

! ! !

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 17, 2011 at 6:18 am

ErikH: The Walter Reade screened the 70mm “Cleopatra” again in May 2011 as part of an Elizabeth Taylor retrospective, and I missed it. I also missed the September 2010 screening you described. I am determined not to miss it a third time! I just hope they screen it again next year.

I saw “Jesus Christ Superstar” and “Fiddler on the Roof” here last month as part of their tribute to Norman Jewison. Both films looked and sounded beautiful. Jewison appeared in person after each film, along with conductor Andre Previn (“Jesus Christ Superstar”) and lyricist Sheldon Harnick (“Fiddler”).

I’d better get myself added to their e-mail list. I wouldn’t want to miss any upcoming shows that are as good as this.

spectrum
spectrum on March 8, 2011 at 6:40 am

From their website:

Projection System
Film:
•35/70mm Century projectors with variable speed capabilities and1:37, 1:66, 1:85 and 2:35 anamorphic aspect ratios; 4500 xenon bulb.
•16mm Elmo projector with 24fps and 18fps speeds, full frame and anamorphic; 2000 watt xenon bulb.

Video:
•Barco DP2000 2K DCI compliant DLP projector with Dolby 3D
•Video decks available: HDCAM (Sony J-H3), Digibeta and Beta SP NTSC and PAL (Sony J-3 , J-30), HDV (Sony HVR-M25U), DVCAM (Sony DSR-11), DVC PRO (Panasonic AJ â€"D250), DVD, VHS, and 3/4” U-Matic

Sound System
•Dolby cinema processor with SRD, SR and mono soundtrack playback
•Bi-amped sound system with subwoofers and surrounds
•Dolby E available through Dolby DMA8 Plus

ErikH
ErikH on September 7, 2010 at 12:40 pm

The Walter Reade featured a 75th anniversary tribute to 20th Century Fox over Labor Day weekend, including screenings of “MASH” (with a Q&A including Elliot Gould and Sally Kellerman), the director’s cut of “Alien” and 70MM screenings of “Cleopatra” and “Patton.” I attended the “Cleopatra” screening—-I estimate that the auditorium was about 75-80% full. A treat to see it in 70MM on the big screen, with all of the roadshow trappings (overture, intermission, etc.)—-and the quality of the print was stellar. I hope the solid turnout will encourage the Walter Reade to schedule more 70MM showings, as it is one of the few theaters in NYC that remains equipped for 70MM. The only other Walter Reade 70MM screenings that I recall from the last few years are “El Cid” and “Playtime.” More, please!

alps
alps on December 31, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I saw “Once Upon a Time In The West”, the very night Charles Bronson died, spooky. As with the other poster, the print quality could be better. Still, I love this place.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on October 11, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Philharmonic Hall (renamed Avery Fisher Hall) was regularly used for the opening and closing nights of the New York Film Festival each year, as well as for special film events. In its first years it was pretty much used for the entire festival. (I have in front of me a program booklet from 1966). I remember seeing Gance’s Napoleon and Stroheim’s Greed there.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on October 11, 2008 at 9:09 am

In 1965 the Philharmonic Hall at this address was screening movies.

cblanc10708
cblanc10708 on September 5, 2008 at 4:22 am

The Walter Reade just had an 11 film tribute to Charlton Heston. I saw Omega Man, Soylent Green, Will Penny, and Earthquake.

All studio archived prints so the quality was exceptional expecially Will Penny (new Print) and Earthquake..vibrant colors..

Rory
Rory on August 31, 2008 at 5:20 pm

Anyone happen to see “Planet of the Apes” tonight? I’m wondering how the print quality was?

todorov
todorov on November 7, 2007 at 12:01 pm

The best movie theater in New York hands down — the auditorium is perfect — all seats/sight lines are great, the sound is excellent, the screen large and the perfect size for the room.

I just hope that the two smaller auditoriums under construction as part of the big Lincoln Center/Alice Tully Hall renovation live up to the Walter Reade’s standards.

My only complaint is print quality on some revivals — the Film Forum seems a little better at getting new prints.

ErikH
ErikH on August 6, 2007 at 7:15 am

According to the Film Society of Lincoln Center website, the Walter Reade will be closed for renovations from August 20 to September 6, and the upgrades will include new seats and carpeting. Not a bad idea; the auditorium has been looking increasingly run down during the last few years.

efriedmann
efriedmann on July 11, 2007 at 7:19 am

I only went to the movies twice here; both revivals. In 1991, a double feature of STAR WARS and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and in 2000 for SUPERMAN.

hardbop
hardbop on October 17, 2005 at 10:42 am

I am surprised no one picked this up, but I heard the Film Society of Lincoln Center received “a large donation” and plans to expand the Walter Reade into “cinemas.” I wasn’t there, but I heard they announced it opening night of the recent New York Film Festival.

Anyone else have further info? I haven’t seen anything written about this in terms of the plans.

hardbop
hardbop on August 4, 2005 at 4:51 am

I attended 10 of the 14 films screened in this series that ended a week and a half ago or so and it didn’t draw all that well for the most part.

They had the President of the Bing Crosby Fan Club introducing many of the films and he had a hand in organizing the retro and used his contacts to get some good and from what I understand rare prints.

HIGH TOR, which was a print from Crosby’s widow, kind of melted on screen. The films got tangled and made that “melting look” on the screen you seen once in a while

And the print for THE EMPEROR’S WALTZ was terrific, but some sloppy projection. We would see the “leader” of the end of the reel/beginning of the reels. Kind of sloppy.

hardbop
hardbop on July 25, 2005 at 4:37 am

As I expected the Bing Crosby series has been under-attended. I’ve attended seven of the screenings and the only ones that have been well attended have been ANYTHING GOES, the ‘36 version, and the obscure HIGH TOR, which the program notes said was the first made for tv film.

Also some weird people at the screenings.

evmovieguy
evmovieguy on July 24, 2005 at 5:12 am

I think the Film Forum does better with the retro screenings. Not only is it a ‘downtown’ crowd that’s more into that stuff, they have way better advertising than the Walter Reade. I wanted to see one or two of the Bing films, particularly the one that has alot of cocktails in it (forgot the title). Walter Reade did well with the Michael Powell series that ran earlier this summer. I was only able to see two of those-‘Thief of Bagdhad’ and ‘Black Narciscus’. Both had good crowds. As far as Film Forum and retro stuff, I wish they would bring back the ‘LSD Week’ series that ran during their annual ‘Science Fiction & Fantasy’ festivals. They discontinued it a few years back which sorta has me scratchin my head. Would be great if they could start doing those again.

umbaba
umbaba on July 24, 2005 at 1:27 am

Then again, the FF only seats about 110 people

hardbop
hardbop on July 22, 2005 at 3:45 am

As I predicted, the Bing Crosby retro isn’t drawing flies. The prints so far have been excellent. Less people than the just completed Louis Malle retro, which did ok I guess. As I wrote before, I was surprised Malle wasn’t a tougher ticket given how well other French series have done at the WR.

I wonder what the genesis of the Crosby retro is? It is only running for a week or so and it includes only 14 films so it is not comprehensive like the Malle retro. Some guy is there introducing the films and he’s written a book about Crosby. Maybe the book is new and the retro is tied into publication of the tome.

On the other hand, virtually every screening I took in at the Film Forum for the Paramount Pre-code series was jammed, with the FF about 90% filled.

br91975
br91975 on July 11, 2005 at 4:17 am

Isn’t securing prints one of the prerequisites of operating a movie theatre or film screening venue? I’d think that would be of the utmost importance with a calendar house, especially the securing of quality prints and noting as well the type of print, as much of a turn-off it might be to patrons.

hardbop
hardbop on July 11, 2005 at 3:43 am

I know the people who run the Film Forum have nothing but contempt for their counterparts at the Walter Reade. No doubt the FF folks are envious of the greater resources the WR has at its disposal for being part of the Lincoln Center complex, but the FF people feel the WR folks are lazy and don’t use their resources.

I know that it is very rare for the Film Forum to advertise a film then have to announce that they canceled the film because they couldn’t get a print. On the other hand, that is a common occurrence at the WR. They are constantly re-juggling their schedules and often screening inferior 16 mm prints or even video.

In the latest Malle retro they already screwed up THIEF OF PARIS as highlighted above and another one of the Malle docs being screening is a beta copy. I know at the Losey retro they had to cancel several screenings because they couldn’t get prints. And I remember at the Dwan retrospective they screened several 16MM prints.

I could go on and on. I remember when they had those discount matinees underwritten by the Times that were geared for families they screened a TV print of THE GREAT RACE. The film was about an hour short of the advertised running time. And I went to another screening of BETWEEN THE LINES and they projected video; I left.

umbaba
umbaba on July 10, 2005 at 1:26 am

Somebody at WR obviously didn’t do his/her job…the telling of a downslide in quality..

Truthfully…for me at least…“Thief” is one of my all-time greatest flicks…I would have loved to see a pristine print of that..would have a been a great surprise

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on July 6, 2005 at 5:34 am

Wow – that’s embarrasing! I wonder if the print came in too late to pre-screen or at least inspect before the show.

hardbop
hardbop on July 6, 2005 at 5:24 am

I don’t think the Bing Crosby retro will draw flies. Series that show classic Hollywood films at the WR generally don’t draw. They do better at places like AMMI and MoMA where you can buy a membership and then get in for free. I think they could screen film that showed a cow munching on grass for two hours and they would draw a crowd at MoMA. I think some of the people who patronize that place live there.

Speaking of the WR, I was there on Sunday for the 1 p.m. showing of THIEF OF PARIS and the print comes on and I see the UA logo. I made a mental note to myself and say “I didn’t know UA distributed TOP” and then you see the title THIEF and hear Tangerine Dream on the soundtrack. I yell out “It is the wrong movie.” Well, needless to say, they stopped the screening and decided to substitute MY DINNER WITH ANDRE. They were shipped the wrong print, Michael Mann’s “THIEF.” I got a refund, but thought that the WR could have done more to accommodate the people who were inconvenienced by giving free passes or something. After all, we were inconvenienced. And the manager didn’t solicit any opinions on what should be screened. She just announced that they would screen “Andre” when I assume they had a variety of Malle prints to choose from. I probably would have stayed if they screen THIEF. It was a pristine print.

This is the second time this has happened recently. MoMA cancelled its screening of SHEER MADNESS in the Hanna Shuygulla retro and substituted a non-subtitled Marco Ferrari film instead.