Gem Theatre

111 W. First Street,
Kannapolis, NC 28081

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 8, 2008 at 2:01 am

This is another photo of the Gem.

Patsy
Patsy on July 5, 2008 at 4:38 am

EagleArt Gallery: Enjoyed the phone pictures of the Gem’s concession area. Thanks.

eagleart
eagleart on July 4, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Here are some phone pictures I took of the concession area last week when I took the kids to see WALL-E.They aren’t the best, but they will give you an idea of what it looks like inside. I had planned on taking more, but it was pure madness! I’ve always loved the gold crown molding in this area. And if I’m not mistaken, it’s the same molding that’s in the vestibule / ticket area. Enjoy!

Patsy
Patsy on May 31, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Yes, but plan it in the winter months when I’m in the Gem area!

ghamilton
ghamilton on May 30, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Mr.Memory,You ARE the marvel of mystic oracles.I am always in awe of your ability to pull up knowledge others just don’t have.I think of you each time I pass the Byrd.HEY! We should schedule a movie party there.

Patsy
Patsy on May 30, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Lost: Thanks…again. Now that I see those birds I do recall being inside the Gem though it was during a movie showing so I couldn’t really see the auditorium that well.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 30, 2008 at 5:32 pm

This is the best that I can do on short notice Patsy. :)

Patsy
Patsy on May 30, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Perhaps I have missed it, but are there any interior Gem photos on this “gem” of a link?

Patsy
Patsy on May 30, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Lost: I never tire of seeing the Gem’s art deco marquee! Thanks.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 30, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Here is another photo of the Gem Theater.

bperry
bperry on February 15, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Check out The Gem Theatre’s new web site and sign up for their weekly showtimes e-newsletter! The web site is www.gem-thetre.com. The Gem History 101 section of the site has some great photos of the theatre.

Patsy
Patsy on February 3, 2008 at 9:42 pm

I’ve been to this “gem” in Kannapolis NC…very nice and very art deco!

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on February 3, 2008 at 8:44 pm

This is a larger version of the postcard at the top of this page and a 2007 photo for a “now and then” comparison. The text claims that the postcard is from 1941, but the movie title on the marquee in the postcard view, “The Charge of the Light Brigade” was released in 1936.

Thomas2
Thomas2 on December 6, 2007 at 4:01 pm

I appreciate all the theater names. Thank you for this site and to all the posters.

Does anyone remember a theater on the left side of the street on N. Main going toward Landis in that little group of old stores? It seems like it went out of business pre-1958. (I’m not thinking of ‘the Main’ on Cannon Blvd.)

eagleart
eagleart on December 1, 2007 at 8:36 pm

I drew a portrait of The Gem in 2006 and sold the original to J.J. Abrams, the director of Mission Impossible 3, which was on the marquee when I took the photo.

Kevin Eagle

EagleArtGallery.com

conrow
conrow on December 1, 2007 at 3:11 pm

I am working on an article for a local magazine on this theater. if you would like to participate or suggest anyone I could interview, please contact me. Thanks!

C. Conrow

p.s. I guess just leave your contact info here.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on November 30, 2007 at 12:47 am

Here is a recent photo of the Gem Theater.

firstmom1982
firstmom1982 on August 31, 2007 at 5:49 pm

My grandparents lived in Kannapolis. When I would visit them, very often my grandfather would take me to the movies. I remember seeing “That Darn Cat” and “The Incredible Mr. Limpet” at the Gem, and “The Nutty Professor” with Jerry Lewis at the Swanee. I also remember my grandmother buying shoes for me right next door to the Gem at Coulter’s!

They lived on Bell Street, one block away from the Table Supply, which used to be the Dixie Theatre. When my mother was a little girl and lived on Leonard Avenue, she saw her very first movie there – “The Wizard of Oz”! How sad that this wonderful building has been torn down in the name of progress.

Patsy
Patsy on August 27, 2007 at 4:56 pm

Great…will check it out!

pote1995
pote1995 on August 5, 2007 at 3:29 pm

Hi guys! Just saw the Simpsons at the Gem on 8/4/2007. First time back inside the theatre in 44 years! Admission at 3:30PM, $1.00 for seniors. Big tub of popcorn, $2.00, drinks at $1.25. Better bargin than 44 years ago in ralation to todays money value. The theatre seemed the same to me as I remembered. Very clean, and no smells. Can’t believe they have maintained so well. Rest of downtown K-town was disappointing in lack of activity, but neat as always. Great town, the citizens should be proud.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on July 20, 2007 at 1:53 am

This is a much larger version of the postcard at the top of this page.

eagleart