Sayville Theater

103 Railroad Avenue,
Sayville, NY 11782

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

POMOVIE2
POMOVIE2 on September 18, 2008 at 6:16 pm

As someone who follows box office carefully, I can safely say, the grosses the last few years at Patchogue were horrible.

Bway
Bway on September 18, 2008 at 6:12 pm

I don’t think that the Patchogue Theater closing had to do with it “not being able to make money”. The problem is just what LImovies said, that the land was worth more than anything they could ever make as a theater, and that is what the problem there was. That coupled with the fact that the Patchogue was in need of an upgrade to compete with the more modern multiplexs like the Holtsville Island 16. The Patchogue was beginning to show it’s age. People now have come tp expect things like stadium seating, and other amenities the newer multiplexes have.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on September 17, 2008 at 4:31 am

LOL….true.but in this case it was the land was worth way more than the theater could make.(ua Patchogue 13)The site sat on an old drive in space with lots and lots of land…

markp
markp on September 17, 2008 at 4:01 am

Now isn’t that something that we are now seeing 13 screen multiplexes closing down. It use to be that people told me you cant make money with a single or a twin, now, in the year 2008, I guess the saying is you cant make money with 13 screens. What next?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on September 17, 2008 at 3:01 am

The theater was renovated in 2004 under the name Lesser in the news paper..(I KNOW IT IS A BOOKING CO)I believe the people who owned it also owned the Oceanside twin.A friend of mine did all the new carpets and never got paid.

I was in negotiations to buy this theater from Mr Finkling in 06 as i was also President of The Chamber Of Commerce at that time.When Cineplex Odeion had this theater (the lease)they never spent a dime.Cineplex Odeon took this over about 1989 for a very very short time.

POMOVIE2
POMOVIE2 on September 17, 2008 at 2:29 am

Lesser Theaters never renovated Sayville. The theater was renovated by previous ownership. Lesser Theater Service was strictly the film buyers. SBS is Shadow Booking Service. They took over the film buying for Sayville on 5/1/2007 after ownership felt they needed to make a change. Sayville was the first client of SBS. I know of this because I am a part of SBS. And yes it’s true, Patchogue closing really did help this theater come alive again. But current ownership has also made a greater effort to widen the spectrum of the types of films brought in to appeal to all different audiences. Where the theater used to mostly play childrens films and older audience pictures, current ownership has opened it up to comedies and horror films that appeal to the high school and college crowd. Let’s face facts. That’s the audience that keeps theaters in business. Unfortunately, you don’t make the money at the box office. It’s all made at the concession stand.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on September 15, 2008 at 8:46 pm

The theater was last renovated by Lesser theaters so it does not have any Cineplex Odeon look.

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on February 16, 2008 at 3:34 am

The theatre from the outside looks old but from the inside it doesn’t look that bad. It looks like an old Cineplex Odeon movie house because Cineplex use to operate the theater. It’s now independently owned with Lesser booking it before. Now I wanna know who is SBS? Funny thing is I never been to the theater.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 5, 2007 at 6:40 am

this house should be doing much better as PATCHOGUE HAS CLOSED!

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on September 11, 2007 at 1:43 am

It looks like this theatre is going to draw lost business from the Regal (UA) Patchogue .

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on September 11, 2007 at 1:42 am

and even before that Cineplex was the operator of this theater

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on September 11, 2007 at 1:41 am

What is this SBS listed in the movie listings? Is it the booking service or the owner? Before, Lesser was the booking service for this theatre.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on May 8, 2007 at 11:39 am

The tie between Islip and Sayville was severed long ago.

wally 75
wally 75 on May 8, 2007 at 5:16 am

ps….anyone know how many seats islip over 1000 before split?

what about sayville…..guess will do?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on January 26, 2007 at 9:14 am

JOHN S. WAS DM FOR LONG ISLAND FOR CINEPLEX BUT WAS OUT TWICE FOR SICK LEAVE FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME ………MY MAIN AREA WAS BROOKLYN AND MANHATTAN ….I also was president of tha Sayville chamber of commerce 2004and 2005……..no lies……if you dont no just ask………..

BigBurp
BigBurp on January 26, 2007 at 4:18 am

Hey longislandmovies, I know it’s been 2 ½ years since you wrote your comment, but you were definetly NOT the Cineplex DM for the Sayville theater. I worked there virtually EVERY DAY that Cineplex owned the theater, and Mr. J.S. is NOT the president of the Sayville Chamber of Commerce. I think you’re trying to impress people who don’t know the facts.

Bway
Bway on June 8, 2006 at 1:48 pm

I wonder if they will get it. Hopefully the buyer will keep it a theater.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on January 14, 2005 at 7:40 pm

It’s all about the money today.

AndyT
AndyT on October 25, 2004 at 2:03 am

I thought I would give this chopped up oldie a try one day late in August. I was in the balcony theater and it was incredibly hot —– no A/C. I stayed just a few minutes. When I asked for my money back, it was refunded but without a word of apology. Unfortunately I wound up seeing the film at the Island 16, devoid of humanity but full of cool air. As do most folks on this site I lament the loss of the old theaters, but the reality is that most of them just got worse and worse in the name of better profit margins. I think they call it deferred maintenance in the business world. What a shame.

Orlando
Orlando on October 24, 2004 at 10:17 pm

As far as I know, there is no photo showing both theatres side by side in 1948 at the Sayville Library or the Sayville historical Society. The picture would have been interesting, the old next to the new.