Movieworld Douglaston

242-02 61st Avenue,
Douglaston, NY 11362

markp
markp on April 12, 2008 at 6:05 pm

Since we can’t post on the “Fair Theatre” site anymore, I thought since this place recently closed, I noticed in todays New York Post, April 12, 2008, that both the Movieland Douglaston is still listed as ‘closed’ and now the Fair Theatre is listed as ‘closed’ also. The last true “grindhouse” within the 5 boroughs is gone, as well as Movieland and Ridgewood. Man they’re dropping like flies.

DARCYDT
DARCYDT on April 11, 2008 at 3:25 am

Does anyone know what the last pictures to play here were?

DARCYDT
DARCYDT on April 11, 2008 at 2:30 am

Who owned the Douglastown theater. It seems weird that it basically closed the same week as the American in Parkchester before Bow Tie took over. For some reason I thought that the Douglaston was part of a small chain that included 2of the either the Sunnyside, Main St Flushing and Kew Gardens.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 9, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Judging by the criticisms above of Douglaston Movieworld, it’s probably better off closed and converted to some other use. The ongoing recession and changes in the ways that people prefer to watch movies are going to trigger many more cinema closings in the USA and elsewhere.

markp
markp on April 9, 2008 at 3:21 am

News has been posted about Bowtie Cinemas taking over the American Theatre in the Bronx. Maybe its possible they can take this one over as well.

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on April 8, 2008 at 12:33 am

It’s not in the theater listing so my feeling is that this theatre is officially closed. I’ll pass by there to see if this is official.

markp
markp on April 6, 2008 at 6:10 am

New York Post listing for Friday April 4, 2008, “Theatre Closed”.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 30, 2008 at 2:37 pm

The original Korvette’s shopping center opened in the 1960’s and had no movie theatre. The nearest in Queens at that time were in Little Neck, Bayside, and Fresh Meadows.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 30, 2008 at 12:45 am

Not to mention that the sticky old theatres in Times Square had a hell of a lot of character. This dump represents the absolute nadir of movie theatre design and construction. The kind of generic concrete bunker shopping center multiplexes that were cheaply spackled together in the late ‘70’s and early '80’s all over the country.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on March 8, 2008 at 5:57 am

Those Times Square Theatres were palaces in their heyday. This place was awful the day it opened.

lyinhart
lyinhart on March 8, 2008 at 4:21 am

I’m not sure why there’s so much enmity directed towards this theater. I’ve always been fascinated by its unique location underneath an elevated shopping center. It’s not in an awful state of disrepair and the lobby has a pleasant retro theater/lounge look to it. The place is certainly better than the old seedy Times Square theaters with “sticky” seats. I love how people wax poetic about those kinds of places when they don’t have to live or work anywhere near them.

xxlive9xx
xxlive9xx on August 22, 2007 at 4:41 am

wow! the lobby looks a lot better than what it used to.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on June 13, 2006 at 12:58 am

The theatre is like the like small screening rooms like The Movies at Sunrise Mall that closed five years ago

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 7, 2006 at 1:24 am

I suppose I can’t argue with that, RobertR. The closest theater would probably be the single screen cinema in the North Shore Towers – which creatively books multiple films by alternating show times throughout the day. Otherwise, you have to go to the 6 screen plex behind the Bay Terrace shopping center or travel all the way to Valley Stream for the Green Acres or Sunrise Cinemas multiplexes. Still, if I lived in the area, I’d make the trip to some other theater!

RobertR
RobertR on June 6, 2006 at 3:49 pm

The only good thing about Movieworld is that it’s an open theatre for people to go to until something better is built in the vicinity. Look at Brooklyn there are almost no theatres left, even a subpar complex like Movieworld would make money in the right location.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 6, 2006 at 3:00 pm

All I can say is the place must have had quite the publicist on the job when providing information for that article! Grand foyer indeed!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 4, 2006 at 12:26 pm

I didn’t make up that business about Grauman’s Chinese. It was in a newspaper clipping that I found in the Long Island Collection of the Queens Public Library’s HQ in Jamaica. The clipping was a report of the opening day. Unfortunately, I negelected to put in my notes what newspaper it came from, but I think it was either the NYT or Newsday. The story also said that the multiplex employed 50 people, but did not go into detail. I would guess that total included part-timers.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 4, 2006 at 4:55 am

Warren… I assume you were being facetious in your last post, otherwise I’d love to know who said that the grand lobby of this dump was modelled after the forecourt of Grauman’s Chinese Theater! For starters, that person would never be allowed to use the word “grand” again! Believe me when I tell you that there is nothing in the least bit grand about this place. But, I suspect you are well aware of that fact.

I actually drove over to the theater that very afternoon that I read your post to see if maybe I had been too harsh on the place. I had my digital camera with me and was able to snap a few photos of the exterior plus a few of the lobby through the glass entrance doors. Not the greatest images, but I didn’t feel like asking for permission (nor do I think it would have been granted) to walk past the ticket taker to get some better shots.

Anyway, here we go:

Flamboyant parking lot signage
Way back under the parking deck
The charming facade
Entrance doors
Left side of lobby
Candy counter through exit doors
Right side of lobby through exit doors

The layout is pretty common, with the candy counter being the focal point of the large lobby. As you walk in the entrance, the box office is immediately to your left (you can make out some customers purchasing tickets in the 4th photo down). Once you get your tickets, you turn to the right and immediately have your stub ripped before entering the lobby (you can see the ticket takers station in the 5th photo down). I spoke briefly with the ticket taker who informed me that the place was completely refurbished within the last 2 years and it does look like the lobby floor is new and the appointments spiffed up a bit. If there were any replicas of the hand and foot prints of the stars ala Grauman’s (which I don’t recall at all, honestly), they seem to have been removed as part of the overhaul. At the far left end of the lobby (I couldnt' get a shot of this) there is also a chain pizza cafe outlet as an adjunct to the candy counter. And they serve Starbuck’s coffee.

No amount of renovations, however, could have imbued any sort of charm in the screening rooms. I don’t think I’ll ever revisit this particular theater as a paying customer.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 2, 2006 at 10:57 pm

This theater has an address:

242-02 61st Ave
Queens, NY 11362

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 31, 2006 at 4:11 pm

This multiplex was a late arrival to a shopping center that opened in the 1960s with the first Queens store of E.J. Korvette as the main tenant. With seven screens and a total of 1,400 seats, Douglaston Movie World first opened on June 1, 1983, and was built and operated by B.S. Moss Enterprises (which I believe still operated the Criterion in Times Square at that time). Construction was reported to have cost $2 million. The grand lobby was said to be modelled after the forecourt of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, complete with copies of some of the autographed hand and/or foot prints of famous stars.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 5, 2005 at 2:01 am

Next to the recently demolished Cinema City 5, I believe this is the worst movie theater I’ve ever attended. The now gutted Movies at Bayside would probably come in third. Someone above compared it to a “horrible Times Square theater before Disney took over”, but that’s an insult to those delightfully dilapidated fun houses which while dirty and uncared for at least had the charm of their age, history and faded beauty. This complex opened on the cheap and went downhill ever since, despite whatever overhauls might have taken place to install preview monitors and stereo sound. Many of the auditoriums are just long and narrow white boxes with low cielings and a center aisle. The last movie I saw here was “Pulp Fiction” and I swore the place off after that.

Korvettes is long gone… I only hope and pray that this dump will soon be gone as well.

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on June 12, 2005 at 12:34 am

I also feel that the layout is awful. The last time I was at this theatre was about 15 years ago.

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on June 12, 2005 at 12:34 am

RobertR
RobertR on June 9, 2005 at 2:54 am

I wonder why Regal got out of this place. It did decent numbers considering it was a pretty awful layout.

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on June 9, 2005 at 2:42 am

It is no longer owned by Regal. It is now an independent which uses Lesser as a booking service. No major renovations have been done on that theatre. My mom says that it still looks the same when United Artists ran it. It is still a sevenplex. It has a dining section but theatres are all the same.