Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

GlenBarrie on August 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm

The Lowes Paradise was a magnificent theater, I have vivid memories of how beautiful the colored neon lights reflected on the Grand concourse on rainy days. Among the films I saw there were, “Papa’s Delicate Condition” with Jackie Gleason in 1963, and once when my parents were shopping they dropped me off on my own, to see the double feature, “The Fly” and “Space Master X-7” (1958)I was ten the time, Wow! I watched from the second balcony.

BobbyS on May 1, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Can anyone go to church services at the Paradise? I would love to go there on a Sunday morning. I have been to 175th Loews and felt welcomed during a service. I would “close my eyes” and imagine I was there when it was a movie palace.

LuisV on April 5, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Amen Bway! I’m an atheist so i don’t like churches but I don’t deny that they have saved a great many palaces; some better than others. Not all churches do a great job. Many have butchered the palaces they took over but I believe the majority have benefitted from their divine users. I wish them well.

Bway on March 27, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I never understand all the mocking that takes place in regard to the Loews Valencia. Sure, it would be nicer if it was a theater again, and it is “sad” that it’s a church instead of such, but this church has saved the Valencia. While yes, the colors they painted the interior are garish at best, what would you rather have, the interior gutted into a drug store or something instead? or worse, leveled? The Valencia is completely intact, maintained, and good shape. Who cares if the colors are garish….all that beautiful plasterwork could be gone instead, and prescriptions sold there instead.

Willburg145 on March 24, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Most people don’t want to go to the Bronx and there’s limited parking.

LuisV on December 4, 2012 at 7:14 am

Agreed Ed, the Loews 175th has been quite successful as a concert venue. It has been so for decades though it is not the primary purpose of the space. The Kings is by far a better location than the Paradise. I have no doubt that the Kings has a much better chance at success. In addition, the owners of the Paradise were terrible managers. The people in charge of the Kings are very experienced.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 4, 2012 at 5:15 am

Tinseltoes, the only advantage I would give to the Kings over the Paradise is that of location. While the Kings isn’t exactly in the prime downtown area, seems to me that Brooklyn on the whole has a better reputation as a destination for cultural activities than the Bronx. And this is not to denigrate the Bronx, which is the borough from which my parents and grandparents hail, but I just don’t think it has the same appeal as Brooklyn. And the United Palace is first and foremost a church. I think a deal was arranged for concerts there, primarily as a temporary replacement for the Beacon, while the latter was undergoing its extensive renovations. While sporadic bookings have continued, I don’t think it was ever seriously positioned as a competitor of the Beacon’s and other downtown venues.

LuisV on December 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Though I despise churches, there are many examples where they prove to be great stewards of our glorious palaces. The Hollywood in midtown, the Loews 175th Street in Washington Heights and the Stanley in Jersey City but just a few excellent examples. That said, I am saddened that this theater is becoming a church. Of course, it is a successful church. They bought an old Christ Scientist church on W. 96th and Central Park West that was also a landmark and have respected that architecture. This particular church worships money so in theory they will not skimp on their infrastructure. They need to project affluence to get it.

stang119 on December 2, 2012 at 9:47 am

Uh oh! According to today’s Daily News (12-2-12) the Paradise has been leased to The World Changers Church of New York. At least it’s a televangelist church so us theatre lovers can get glimpses of this majestic house on TV. Here is a link to the article: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/world-changers-church-new-york-occupy-paradise-article-1.1211185

CSWalczak on November 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm

A fire apparently started by welding going on at the Paradise on November caused at least some smoke damage. View article

DavePrice on August 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

Can anyone tell me if the Paradise still had vaudeville acts between the pictures in 1947?

TLSLOEWS- good to see you so far from Nashville.

stang119 on April 2, 2012 at 5:48 am

OMG! I actually have a copy of this LIFE magazine! Thanks for the reminder.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Link to Life Magazine, then scroll through to pages 57, etc. There are a lot of other interesting articles in this special nostalgia issue. (Just close the pop-up offer to join.)

Astyanax on August 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

Since I don’t get into the Bronx often was curious how often this venue was in use.

MorganT on May 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Hey Guys,

Im a student at Lehman College and i have to do an assignment on the paradise theater, i want to just ask a few questions about your experience with the theater.

You will be helping me out tremendously and we can communicate through email or whatever you feel comfortable with.

you can email me at
if you would like to participate and it will only take 2 minutes of your time

Lenox on April 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm

In 1964 my then girlfriend Joan Clarke and I spent our very first date at this theatre .

TLSLOEWS on August 11, 2010 at 11:15 am

Nice video link Tinseltoes Thanks.

stang119 on August 8, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Great photos. Now if only more events were scheduled there.

TLSLOEWS on August 8, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Boxing at the Paradise.Nice photos.

TLSLOEWS on May 27, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Thanks MichealDJ,Iould like to see that.

Michael D. Jackson
Michael D. Jackson on May 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm

The TV show SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE had auditions in this theatre featured on the first episode of the 2010 season.

TLSLOEWS on April 27, 2010 at 11:22 am

Very nice photo Chuck.

TLSLOEWS on April 22, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Very cool photos Brad Smith,from Terry Smith A.K.A. TLSLOEWS on C.T.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on April 22, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Click on the year for photographs taken of Loew’s Paradise Theatre in 1930 and 1932 by George Mann of the comedy dance team, Barto & Mann.