Goldman Theatre

30 S. 15th Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 8, 2010 at 7:17 pm

A Great theatre and the stories,How about the Dad snoring during “JAWS” folks you can’t make this stuff up.

TLSLOEWS on June 8, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Interesting photos and history.

Ross Care
Ross Care on February 23, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Thank you. I thought I remembered a Philly Goody’s store from the early and later ‘60s and I do also remember the Randolph. I also recall a smaller record store on Chestnut St. somewhere around the Viking, maybe down from Rittenhouse Square.
I just found a CT entry for the Studio on Market St. It had quite a history.
This is a GREAT site and I’m learning (and remembering) a lot. I grew up in Harrisburg but got to know Philadelphia while I was in college.

dennisczimmerman on February 23, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Penway 14 – If my memory serves me correctly, there was a Sam Goody store on Chestnut Street directly across from the Randolph Theatre. I remember shopping in that Sam Goody while waiting to be able to go in the Randolph to see a presentation of their first Cinerama engagement “Grand Prix.” That would have been back in the late 1960’s, probably 1967. That was the first time I was ever in the Randolph Theatre. However, since their remodeling for Cinerama I saw a number of Cinerama and non Cinerama roadshow presentation films at the Randolph. Hope this helps.

Ross Care
Ross Care on February 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm

A friend of mine who also knew Philly suggested that the theater I asked about five comments up was called the Studio. It was a small theater, sort of sandwiched in between the bigger ones. I recall there were lounges (restrooms) down a flight of narrow stairs off the front lobby.
My friend confirmed it showed great, sometimes esoteric (for the times) foreign double bills, Godard, Antonioni, etc.
The World down the street showed first run foreign films.

HowardBHaas on February 23, 2010 at 10:03 am

Vince Young’s research also included that “Casino Royale” and “Cool Hand Luke” were shown 1967 at the Goldman.

HowardBHaas on February 23, 2010 at 10:01 am

Vnce Young informs me that “Dirty Dozen” opened 7/13/67 at the Goldman and “Bonnie and Clyde” was also shown that year there.

Ross Care
Ross Care on February 7, 2010 at 9:51 am

Interesting. I first saw RAINTREE at Loew’s Regent in Harrisburg in 1957 while I was still in high school. I loved the film, well, really loved John Green’s score at any rate, and would have seen it again in Philly while I was in college, probably the early ‘60s.

HowardBHaas on February 7, 2010 at 9:46 am

It just so happens I’m reviewing Box Office magazine and August 10, 1957 it says “Raintree Country” was to open with reserved seating at the Randolph Theatre. As you say, later you saw a re-issue at the Viking.

Ross Care
Ross Care on February 7, 2010 at 9:37 am

Thanks. I did see a photo of the Boyd and there seemed to be a theater called the Aldine down the street from it. That’s where I remember the Viking was.
I also remember sneaking in from West Chester U one evening to see a re-issue of RAINTREE COUNTY at the Viking. It seemed like a new theater then and had a good wide screen. Apparently it was a competent renovation.
There was also a sort of grubby, 42nd St.-type theater on Market St. that showed second run double bills? I forget the name of that. I think I saw THE PUMPKIN EATER and other foreign films there.

HowardBHaas on February 6, 2010 at 3:01 pm

The Viking is listed under its last name, Sam’s Place One & Two:

kencmcintyre on February 6, 2010 at 2:57 pm

The Viking is listed under Cinema 19 and also the Aldine, I believe.

Ross Care
Ross Care on February 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Also: does anyone remember the Viking up the street from the Boyd?

Ross Care
Ross Care on February 6, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Was there a Sam Goody’s record store across from or near the Goldman?

kencmcintyre on January 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Here is a January 1948 photo from the Irvin Glazer theater collection:

HowardBHaas on May 6, 2009 at 6:59 am

Here’s some tidbits from the 1952 to 1953 of Goldman history:

1952 Box Office: showing film noir “Clash by Night”

1 Aug 1953 Box Office: Goldman Theatre installing 3 D

29 Aug 1953 Box office: “The War of the Worlds” at Goldman

14 Nov 1953 Box Office: Jack Palance star of “Flight to Tangier” was in town to help promotion, which will open locally at the Goldman

HowardBHaas on May 3, 2009 at 11:47 am

MORE from 1951. The 26 May 1951 Box Office reported two different tidbits. The Goldman Theatre displayed a General Sherman tank for the premiere of “Go for Broke!” And, Esther Williams kicked off Armed Forces Day with a ceremony on May 18th on the Goldman stage

HowardBHaas on May 3, 2009 at 9:04 am

Here are some Goldman highlights from 1951.

17 Feb 1951 Box Office reported that actor Van Heflin was in Philadelphia to promote “Tomahawk” then in its 3rd week at the Goldman Theatre.

24 March 1951 Box Office reported that Anthony Dexter, the lead of “Valentino” was to appear on Saturday 24 March at the Goldman, which is where the film opened. 31 March 1951 Box Office reported that both Patricia Medina & Anthony Dexter of “Valentino” cast appeared at the Goldman

25 Aug 1951 Box Office reported that the film noir “His Kind of Woman” opened at the Goldman Theatre with personal appearances by its stars Robert Mitchum, Vincent Price, Marjorie Reynolds and Tim Holt

dennisczimmerman on April 25, 2009 at 6:51 pm

The Goldman was better with “Funny Girl” and 70mm on the marquee.

kencmcintyre on April 7, 2009 at 8:29 pm

This 1980 photo is how I remember the Goldman.

finkysteet on March 2, 2009 at 5:18 pm

HOWARD — YOU ARE THE MAN! That answers my question about the acoustical tiles that also were at the Randolph. Those Goldman fixtures, gosh, I wanted them so bad but no one was allowed in bldg prior to its razing it as was permitted at the Fox. Those sconces were pretty strong, too. A huge chunk of debris fell on one as they were tearing the place down (I watched in horror) but it barely budged. And those huge neon letters — who knew? Eleven rows of neon? I’m sitting here screaming at the images on my laptop, like, “D—–! Look at this!” So you see, moviegoing for me went far beyond just the film itself. Thank you so much for these links, Howard. Coffee and a dozen donuts are on me!

HowardBHaas on March 1, 2009 at 4:17 am

More photos! Google search exactly
Boxoffice October 12, 1946
enter page 170 in the search box, and also page 182
p 170 full page on Goldman Theatre, with exterior & interior photos,
continued on p. 182. Don’t miss the photo of the lady next to the sconce!

finkysteet on February 28, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Too bad we didn’t have digital cameras and photo-sharing sites then!

veyoung52 on February 28, 2009 at 11:23 pm

“From that view, it leads one to believe that "Tycoon” is the theater name the way it’s emblazoned across the marquee"…
You should’ve seen it years later when the “Spartacus” artwork covered the vertical “Goldman” name all the way up to the “G”.

finkysteet on February 28, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Now, that’s false advertising — kind of. From that view, it leads one to believe that “Tycoon” is the theater name the way it’s emblazoned across the marquee, and that perhaps the theater may have had previous ownership prior to the Goldman era (a la the Viking/Aldine/Cinema 19/Sam’s Place) Thanks for clearing that up, and many thanks for posting the links — that Boxoffice magazine is a real enjoyable doozy!