Showing 26 - 50 of 122 comments
The correct zip for this address is 77022.
The correct zip for this address is 77024.
The correct zip for this address is 77027.
The correct zip for this address is 77063.
The correct zip for this address is 77082.
The correct zip code for this address is 77090.
Cinema Tour lists the Plainville’s construction year as 1954. Can anyone confirm?
The 1963 El Campo City Directory lists the Normana Theater at 115 N. Mechanic Street. William Spooner was the manager.
The 1939 El Campo City Directory lists the Liberty Theater at 117 S. Mechanic Street. B.N. Alsbrook was the manager.
The 1963 El Campo City Directory lists the Rice Drive-In at 100 Marion Avenue (just off South Mechanic). William Spooner was the manager.
The 1963 El Campo City Directory lists the Floyd Theater at 114 N. Washington Street. William Spooner was the manager.
Are there any surviving photos of the Rio’s interior? There were bas-reliefs in the lobby and auditorium when the Rio was new. Did these survive a 1967 interior remodel? Does anyone know?
The Rio opened at 6:00 p.m. on August 13, 1950. The premier feature was, fittingly enough, “Nancy Goes to Rio” with Ann Sothern and Jane Powell. The Rio’s general contractor was James Kershaw, and C. Russell Lewis of Dallas, Texas supervised the artistic decorations.
The Texas Theater’s first manager was Mr. Henry Hurr. The first talkie to show at the Texas was on December 19, 1929. “Married in Hollywood” (starring J. Harold Murray and Norma Terris) was among the first talkies at the Texas.
From the Victoria Advocate, January 8, 1941:
Four Buildings in Greenville Razed by Hungry Flames.
Greenville, Tex., Jan. 8â€"Hungry flames that ate through four buildings in downtown Greenville were brought under control in a five-hour fight early today after causing an estimated $75,000 damage.
Cause of the fire, which originated in the Southern CafÃ© about midnight, was not known, but several cafÃ© patrons were knocked to the floor by an explosion in the rear of the two-story building, giving first warning of the blaze.
Spreading swiftly despite efforts of the Greenville fire department, the fire destroyed the first floor cafÃ© and second story, and then licked through an adjoining dress shop, across an empty building and into the Rialto Theatre before weary firemen finally gained the upper hand.
The theater suffered heavy water and smoke damage while the two buildings between it and the cafÃ© were burned badly.
For a time fire department officials considered calling for reinforcements from Sulphur Springs and Wolfe City, but the Greenville firemen were able to control the fire by themselves.
The Plaza opened at 7:15 p.m. on March 19, 1942. The premier feature was “The Vanishing Virginian” with Frank Morgan and Kathryn Grayson. The Plaza was operated by Long Theatres, and Ernest Shultz of Rosenberg, Texas was the Plaza’s architect.
The Queen’s first manager was Mr. Joe L. Santos. On August 26, 1929, “Drag” (starring Richard Barthelmess, Lucien Littlefield, and Alice Day) was the first talkie to show at the Queen.
The Uptown was the site of a Gene Autry stage show at noon on January 3, 1937. That afternoon, after the show, Gene Autry visited a young Victoria girl who had been injured at school and was unable to attend the show. In a Victoria Advocate interview, Autry commented, “It was a great pleasure to have seen her, and if my visit cheered her up then the happiness was all mine…I do hope that she continues rapidly in her recovery.”
The Highway 35 East location is where the Showboat was. Notice the stretch of road south of Highway 35 is named Show Boat Road.
Since we’re in the area, would the Horn Road location have been the Bay Drive-in mentioned above? Can anyone confirm this?
From the Victoria Advocate, March 16, 1950:
New Theater At Edna Is Opened.
Edna, March 16â€"With true carnival spirit, some 3,000 or more citizens of Edna and the surrounding territory witnessed the opening of the new Edna Theatre here Tuesday night (March 14, 1950).
For eight years the people here have been attending the movies in a remodeled store building with a very limited seating capacity. The only theater burned down eight years ago and because of the war it was impossible to build another.
The new Edna Theatre, operated by J.G. Long Theatres, Inc., of Bay City, opens a new world for local movie-goers.
The theater is as modern as one can be built at this time.
Eighty tons of refrigeration will cool the theatre in summer and a large heating plant will make it equally as comfortable during the winter.
Previous to the opening a parade and band concert by the Edna Cowboy Band, conducted by R. J. Kluge, entertained the several thousand persons awaiting admittance. During a short dedicatory ceremony in the auditorium after the opening, L. O. Wallace of the Long organization acted as master of ceremonies and he introduced Glenn McClain of the Long chain, Mayor Harry Mauritz and Dr. R. E. Lee, president of the chamber of commerce of Edna, for short talks. Fred M. Smith was introduced as the manager of the new theatre.
In addition to the theatre, the Edna, the building also houses four business firms, including a modern grocery store. The theatre seats 1,000 and is reported to be one of the finest shows between San Antonio and Houston.
The premier feature was â€œFather Is a Bachelorâ€ with William Holden and Coleen Gray.
This theater was previously the Electra Theatre. According to the July 18, 1924 Victoria Advocate, M.M. McNeese of Dallas purchased the Electra from Victoria resident Edwin Jecker. He renamed it the Victoria and reopened it on July 24, 1924. The opening feature was Gloria Swanson’s “Manhandled”, which opened to an overflow crowd.
The Electra had been open as early as 1912. An ad in the October 2, 1912 Advocate announced that Florence Lawrence’s “The Mill Buyers”, Edgar Keller’s “The Garrison Triangle”, and “Ferdie’s Family Feud” with John R. Cumpson and Vivian Prescott could be seen at the Electra.
The Princess was also once named the Paramount. An ad in the January 20, 1915 Victoria Advocate announced that the Paramount was opening at 7:00 p.m. that evening in the “Old Princess Theater Building”. The opening feature was “The Dancer and the King” with Cecil Spooner and Marquita Dwight.
The Princess was open as early as 1910. An ad in the December 6, 1910 Victoria Advocate listed three features at the Princess – “The Hustler Gets the Coin” (comedy) and “The Path of Duty” and “The Hand of Fate” (both dramas).
The Uptown opened on February 19, 1931. The premier feature was “Stolen Heaven” with Nancy Carroll and Phillips Holmes.
The El Rancho opened on February 2, 1940 at 6:45 p.m. The premier feature was “Geronimo” with Preston Foster and Ellen Drew.