Showing 526 - 545 of 545 comments
The Regency Theatre was opened in the late 1960’s by The William Goldman theatre Co. (Budco Theatres original name), and was demolished, along with The Fox, The Stanton/Milgram, The duke & Duchess, and The Stage Door, and replaced by The Liberty Plaza complex.
The Uptown, when not being used by The RKO Stanley Warner chain in the 1960’s, hosted a lot of concerts from the big names of Motown Records. They include Marvin Gaye, The Supremes & The Temptations.
The 69th Street, The Tower and The Terminal Theatres were part of the heart of Upper Darby, the PTC/Red Arrow/P&W 69th Street Terminal area. Today that legacy is carried by Regal Entertainment Group’s 69th Street Theatre 9 complex on s. 69th Street, 1 block south of The Tower Theatre.
The Earle was Philadelphia’s first concert theatre, before The Uptown, The tower, The Spectrum, The First Union-Wachovia Center, and The Tweeter Center. It was originally called “Elrae” before it’s opening in 1924. It was one of Philadelphia’s finest theatres, including The Palace, The Fox, The Stanley, The Boyd/REG Sameric 4, and The Mastbaum
The Tower Theatre recently was renovated (End of 2001/beginning of 2002) and had the Rolling Stones in mid September, 2002
The REG United Artists Pennsauken Theatre has 11 Screens, not 10 Screens
To see the famous portrait of The Paradise Theatre LP cover, go to
The County was owned by The William Goldman Theatre Co., and then later by Budco Theatre Co. and American Multi-Cinema Inc. (AMC Theatres). It was twinned by Budco Theatres (Who also owned The Doylestown Barn/AMC Barn 5 Theatre). For more info, go to:
The famous painting of the Gala opening of the Paradise Theatre has been reproduced on Styx’s 1980 album “Paradise Theatre”, on A&M/Geffen/Interscope Records.
This album also had a painting, on the back cover of the Paradise Theatre after it was closed. For more information, go to www.styxworld.com
The William Goldman’s Orleans originally had 900 seats, before it was twinned (Today, the original Orleans is the current Orleans' Theatre # 3 & #4). Visit <www.amctheatres.com> for info
The Erlanger was never owned by The Stanley Co., The Stanley Warner Co., The RKO Stanley Warner Co. or The RKO Century Warner Co.
This theatre was were Aerosmith first got noticed, under the Acamdey Of Music name
AMC officially returned to the New England area with the acquiring of the General Cinema chain. It officially took place March 29, 2002. For more information , go to www.amctheatres.com
The Mastbaum was one of Center City Philadelphia’s grand theatres. the others included: The Stanley, The Boyd/Sameric 4, The Aldine/Sam’s Place Twin, the Fox, The Stanton, The Palace and The Earle Theatres (At one point, all of Center City Philadelphia’s grand theatres were owned by The Stanley Warner Theatre Co.
The Uptown opened in 1928 by The Stanley Warner Theatre Co.
The design of Loew’s State Theatre was used for Philadelphia, PA’s Fox Theatre at 16th & Market Streets.
Philadelphia Mayor John Street, in his weekly radio address this past Saturday (Aug 10, 2002) has vowed to save the RKO Stanley Warner’s Boyd/United Artists Sameric 4 Theatre. The last time I was in the Sameric was in Feb of this year to see “Black Hawk Down”. If anything should be demolished on the Sameric 4, get rid of the 3 smaller screens, they are not of historical value. Screen #1 is the original 2500 seats of the Boyd. Thank you
The Prince Music Theatre originally opened in 1921 as the Karlton Theatre. It originally had 1,066 seats. The William Goldman Theatre Co. acquired it in 1949 and renamed it to “Midtown” in 1954. The Budco chain twinned it in the mid 1970’s, and AMC Theatres closed it in 1999. The Midtown has played some great movies, including “ROCKY II”, “South Pacific”, “Lawrence Of Arabia” and “Glory”
The Stage Door Theatre was a smaller theatre that was added to the back of the Fox Theatre in the mid 1960’s
The Budco Regency Twin, as far as i remembered was opened in 1967 or 1968 by The William Goldman Theatre chain, the predecessor of Budco Theatres