Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

Broan
Broan on December 24, 2004 at 7:00 pm

I’d imagine they would be able to retain the name, most buildings do. Like the Sears tower for example, Sears doesn’t have a thing to do with it anymore.

YMike
YMike on December 24, 2004 at 6:36 pm

He aslo appeared at the Loew’s Oriental in Brooklyn.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 24, 2004 at 5:03 pm

The current Loew’s exhibition at the Musueum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens, includes some fabulous B&W newsreel footage (silent and unedited) of Al Jolson’s personal appearance at the Paradise in 1949 in conjunction with the release of “Jolson Sings Again.” The huge crowd that gathered to greet him on the Grand Concourse reminds of New Year’s Eve in Times Square. Jolson arrived in an open car as part of a motorcade. He’s also shown performing on stage. This appearance was part of a tour that Jolson made of the major Loew’s neighborhood theatres before the movie had its premiere (and exclusive) engagement at Loew’s State in Manhattan.

RobertR
RobertR on December 23, 2004 at 2:47 pm

Are they able to keep the Loews name? I am curious about this for the Jersey City also?

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 23, 2004 at 1:29 pm

Thanks for the updates Divinity! I think a better term would be “fabulosity”, or “fabutivity”. What do you think? (I’m kidding, just kidding!!) Have a Merry Christmas, and thanks for being such a good reporter! :–)

Divinity
Divinity on December 23, 2004 at 5:54 am

Mark,

I only wish that I knew how to use a digital camera and transfer images onto a website. If you or anyone does, please do so!

MarkW
MarkW on December 23, 2004 at 5:30 am

Pictures! Post pictures!

Divinity
Divinity on December 23, 2004 at 4:54 am

UPDATE!

THE SUNBURST HAS BEEN REPAINTED A BRILLIANT YELLOW ON THE LOEWS PARADISE SIGN. THE BACKGROUND IS A DEEP ROYAL BLUE AND THE LETTERING IS JEZEBEL RED.

THE FABULOUSNESS CONTINUES MY DARLINGS!

Astyanax
Astyanax on December 21, 2004 at 4:53 am

Since Bruce Ratner is rebuilding Brooklyn in his own image, can anyone interest him and Marty Markowitz into restoring the Brooklyn Paramount? It makes sense with all the developement from Metrotech to Atlantic terminal.

Divinity
Divinity on December 12, 2004 at 12:45 am

Thank you Brucec. I have always been very enthusiastic about our beloved movie palace.

Ziggy,
I cannot reveal who my contact is because the theater is still a hard hat area and no one from the public is allowed to enter. I suppose that if one admired this theatre for a long enough time , a staff member may come out on a break and you could explain your enthusiasm for this movie palace. If they have time, you may get a sneak preview!

UPDATE!

THE SIGNAGE HAS BEEN COVERED WITH SCAFFOLDING AND BLACK MESH SCREENING. I WASN’T ABLE TO SEE MUCH BUT I SUPPOSE THAT THEY MUST BE SCRAPING AND PAINTING THE SIGN.

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 9, 2004 at 9:38 pm

Divinity, I hate being a pest, but I’m originally from upstate New York, and now live (too) far away. I have a cousin in NYC and it’s a given that I will be visiting her this summer. Since you have a contact at the Paradise, could you ask him/her what the chances are of a rabid Loew’s Paradise fan and two friends getting a tour this summer?

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on December 9, 2004 at 5:59 am

If the Bronx gets the Loew’s Paradise up and running then Brooklyn needs to restore either the Paramount or Loew’s Kings(hopefuly both) as a theatre. Im amazed at the progress of the Paradise and I agree it has been very secretive. I wish all above a lot of luck.Divinity I love all your updates on this theatre. The Paradise is the only one of the Loew’s Wonder Theatres I didn’t visit on my trip to NYC 2 years ago. brucec

Divinity
Divinity on December 9, 2004 at 3:23 am

My contact at the Paradise tells me that the reason most of the work has been going on very secretively, is because the landmarks commission is interested in landmarking the interior. Remember, they have done a fabulous job so far, but they wont landmark it until all work is complete because of all the paperwork involved in restoring a landmark. People in general might be upset that the fountain won’t have a basin or that lighting has been attached to a rectangular opening in the ceiling of the auditorium (both reversable).
Both acts of vandalism were done by previous owners.

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 8, 2004 at 11:22 pm

Hey Divinity! You’re a local, and you seem to be able to keep up on this place. Can you think of any logical reason why they aren’t being more public? Do the owners know how famous this theatre is? Is it just that they don’t know how to play the media machine?

PGlenat
PGlenat on December 8, 2004 at 11:08 pm

Talk about your covert operations. I can understand why they wouldn’t want a bunch of oglers wandering through a hard hat area because of the liability question, but are the plans for the restoration of the Paradise that secretive? Meanwhile I’m still trying to digest “clandestinity”!

Divinity
Divinity on December 8, 2004 at 10:45 pm

Yes Ziggy, they have been secretive about the operation.

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 8, 2004 at 2:58 pm

“clandestinity”?

Divinity
Divinity on December 8, 2004 at 5:45 am

Jim,
This major project isnt just a finantial investment. It is a project that has carefully preserved the oppulence of this movie theatre. Of course a few alterations have been made, but it is going to take years to profit from the venue with the millions of dollars that it has taken to restore this gem. The past and previous owners have both been very enthusiastic about paying attentioin to intricate details that are critical to the restoration of this movie palace.

JimRankin
JimRankin on December 7, 2004 at 5:57 pm

It may simply be that businessmen don’t see things ‘in the public eye’ as we theatre buffs do. To them it is likely just a financial investment that may or may not pan out; they may have no real love of theatres since it may be just a business venue to them. In such cases, the owners usually do NOT want too much public exposure aside from publicity for their eventual business, and publicity for that is usually just traditional advertising. They don’t want ‘volunteers’ or others not legally connected with their place tromping about and possibly getting into things, or relating any code violations they might discover (there are often code violations in a large project that inspectors may miss. If customers are fewer than wished, attitudes may change for the better.

bzemanbz
bzemanbz on December 7, 2004 at 5:15 pm

I’m just wondering. Unlike the “Friends of the Loew’s” or “Friends of the Byod” (in Philly) or even the “St. George” in SI, the work on the Paradise seems so mysterious. There is no advertising anywhere that I can find. There’s no website to show the restoration progress or enlist potential volunteers. No nuttin'. Why? If the place is “supposed to open” in six months you’d think the owners would be champing at the bit to bring such an elaborate and expensive project before the public. I ask again, why all the clandestinity??

Divinity
Divinity on December 3, 2004 at 7:32 pm

Since the theatre is still a hard hat area, tours are not allowed. By the summer of 2005 I suppose that everything will be finished (unless the completion is stalled for some reason).

Peter
Peter on December 3, 2004 at 12:50 am

It is great to see the Paradise is being restored and reopened!! My Mom went there as a child.I wanted to to go by the theatre this Fri or Saturday.

Does anyone know if the theatre is “open” during the restoration phase. If people wanted to look around inside the theatre? It would be GREAT one could look around inside the Grand Palace as she is being fixed up!

Peter

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 2, 2004 at 3:09 pm

Is the figure of the dragon going to be restored to the clock? Will there be anyone I can contact regarding getting inside when I return to New York this summer?

Divinity
Divinity on December 1, 2004 at 8:11 am

One could only hope that this happens in the near future!

Ziggy
Ziggy on November 30, 2004 at 3:17 pm

With all the care and money going into the restoration, it would not be much of a step to restore the fish pond. One would think that cast concrete could be used to replicate the original stone or plasterwork, and then marbleized to match the statuary. Conrad Schmidt, or the studio that was used when this restoration began (a local New York company, I forget the name) would certainly know how to do this.