Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

Ziggy
Ziggy on February 10, 2005 at 6:57 am

Oops! I mean “and” peer through the doors.

Ziggy
Ziggy on February 10, 2005 at 6:56 am

Thanks Divinity! It’s good to know things are still progressing. I’m going to come to the Bronx this summer and see for myself. Even if all I can do is look at the outside at peer through the doors.

Divinity
Divinity on February 9, 2005 at 10:24 pm

Hello Ziggy, I too have missed visiting Cinema Treasures. With the arrival such good weather I’ve been out and about suffering from a premature case of spring fever.

The crew is slowly but surely cleaning and grouting the ballustrade and rear wall above the attached taxpayer (not shown on the top of the page). Otherwise I haven’t noticed much else on the outside which is looking wonderful.

Ziggy
Ziggy on February 7, 2005 at 3:01 pm

Divinity, your frequent updates are very much missed! Do you have any comments for us regarding what’s up at the Paradise?

Divinity
Divinity on January 3, 2005 at 11:32 pm

The original sunburst was a bright orange and yellow with jezebel red lettering. I do agree that the royal blue background is just a bit much.

Divinity
Divinity on January 3, 2005 at 11:32 pm

JimRankin
JimRankin on January 3, 2005 at 7:18 pm

It could be simply that the chemistry of paints has changed considerably since the 1920s and today we can obtain much brighter pigments than was possible then. Of course, it is possible to determine original color and brilliance and duplicate it with careful paint sourcing and mixing, but something tells me that they weren’t about to go to that expense of color matching in view of all the other expenses of restoration.

bzemanbz
bzemanbz on January 3, 2005 at 7:46 am

We just happened to be driving up Grand Concourse on New Years Day and, say what(!), workers were working on the Paradise! Some were doing exterior work on the building’s store facades and something was going on inside because we could see lights on behind the plastic tarps across the entrance. The guard in the booth ignored our pleas to peek at the interior, though. Here’s a point to ponder: from what we could make out from behind the scaffolding covers, the sunburst on the flat “marquee” is painted in a really, taxingly garish blue, yellow and red. Was this original? It seemed a bit much against the elegant terra cotta ornamentations of the building. I would have expected something more subdued. But I could be wrong, and these colors were meant to be “attention getters'”

Divinity
Divinity on December 24, 2004 at 9:54 pm

The exterior has been landmarked, so I suppose the signage is also included.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Broan
Broan on December 24, 2004 at 11:00 am

I’d imagine they would be able to retain the name, most buildings do. Like the Sears tower for example, Sears doesn’t have a thing to do with it anymore.

YMike
YMike on December 24, 2004 at 10:36 am

He aslo appeared at the Loew’s Oriental in Brooklyn.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 24, 2004 at 9:03 am

The current Loew’s exhibition at the Musueum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens, includes some fabulous B&W newsreel footage (silent and unedited) of Al Jolson’s personal appearance at the Paradise in 1949 in conjunction with the release of “Jolson Sings Again.” The huge crowd that gathered to greet him on the Grand Concourse reminds of New Year’s Eve in Times Square. Jolson arrived in an open car as part of a motorcade. He’s also shown performing on stage. This appearance was part of a tour that Jolson made of the major Loew’s neighborhood theatres before the movie had its premiere (and exclusive) engagement at Loew’s State in Manhattan.

RobertR
RobertR on December 23, 2004 at 6:47 am

Are they able to keep the Loews name? I am curious about this for the Jersey City also?

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 23, 2004 at 5:29 am

Thanks for the updates Divinity! I think a better term would be “fabulosity”, or “fabutivity”. What do you think? (I’m kidding, just kidding!!) Have a Merry Christmas, and thanks for being such a good reporter! :–)

Divinity
Divinity on December 22, 2004 at 9:54 pm

Mark,

I only wish that I knew how to use a digital camera and transfer images onto a website. If you or anyone does, please do so!

MarkW
MarkW on December 22, 2004 at 9:30 pm

Pictures! Post pictures!

Divinity
Divinity on December 22, 2004 at 8:54 pm

UPDATE!

THE SUNBURST HAS BEEN REPAINTED A BRILLIANT YELLOW ON THE LOEWS PARADISE SIGN. THE BACKGROUND IS A DEEP ROYAL BLUE AND THE LETTERING IS JEZEBEL RED.

THE FABULOUSNESS CONTINUES MY DARLINGS!

Astyanax
Astyanax on December 20, 2004 at 8:53 pm

Since Bruce Ratner is rebuilding Brooklyn in his own image, can anyone interest him and Marty Markowitz into restoring the Brooklyn Paramount? It makes sense with all the developement from Metrotech to Atlantic terminal.

Divinity
Divinity on December 11, 2004 at 4:45 pm

Thank you Brucec. I have always been very enthusiastic about our beloved movie palace.

Ziggy,
I cannot reveal who my contact is because the theater is still a hard hat area and no one from the public is allowed to enter. I suppose that if one admired this theatre for a long enough time , a staff member may come out on a break and you could explain your enthusiasm for this movie palace. If they have time, you may get a sneak preview!

UPDATE!

THE SIGNAGE HAS BEEN COVERED WITH SCAFFOLDING AND BLACK MESH SCREENING. I WASN’T ABLE TO SEE MUCH BUT I SUPPOSE THAT THEY MUST BE SCRAPING AND PAINTING THE SIGN.

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 9, 2004 at 1:38 pm

Divinity, I hate being a pest, but I’m originally from upstate New York, and now live (too) far away. I have a cousin in NYC and it’s a given that I will be visiting her this summer. Since you have a contact at the Paradise, could you ask him/her what the chances are of a rabid Loew’s Paradise fan and two friends getting a tour this summer?

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on December 8, 2004 at 9:59 pm

If the Bronx gets the Loew’s Paradise up and running then Brooklyn needs to restore either the Paramount or Loew’s Kings(hopefuly both) as a theatre. Im amazed at the progress of the Paradise and I agree it has been very secretive. I wish all above a lot of luck.Divinity I love all your updates on this theatre. The Paradise is the only one of the Loew’s Wonder Theatres I didn’t visit on my trip to NYC 2 years ago. brucec

Divinity
Divinity on December 8, 2004 at 7:23 pm

My contact at the Paradise tells me that the reason most of the work has been going on very secretively, is because the landmarks commission is interested in landmarking the interior. Remember, they have done a fabulous job so far, but they wont landmark it until all work is complete because of all the paperwork involved in restoring a landmark. People in general might be upset that the fountain won’t have a basin or that lighting has been attached to a rectangular opening in the ceiling of the auditorium (both reversable).
Both acts of vandalism were done by previous owners.

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 8, 2004 at 3:22 pm

Hey Divinity! You’re a local, and you seem to be able to keep up on this place. Can you think of any logical reason why they aren’t being more public? Do the owners know how famous this theatre is? Is it just that they don’t know how to play the media machine?

PGlenat
PGlenat on December 8, 2004 at 3:08 pm

Talk about your covert operations. I can understand why they wouldn’t want a bunch of oglers wandering through a hard hat area because of the liability question, but are the plans for the restoration of the Paradise that secretive? Meanwhile I’m still trying to digest “clandestinity”!

Divinity
Divinity on December 8, 2004 at 2:45 pm

Yes Ziggy, they have been secretive about the operation.