Loew's Paradise Theatre

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 8, 2004 at 6:58 am

“clandestinity”?

Divinity
Divinity on December 7, 2004 at 9:45 pm

Jim,
This major project isnt just a finantial investment. It is a project that has carefully preserved the oppulence of this movie theatre. Of course a few alterations have been made, but it is going to take years to profit from the venue with the millions of dollars that it has taken to restore this gem. The past and previous owners have both been very enthusiastic about paying attentioin to intricate details that are critical to the restoration of this movie palace.

JimRankin
JimRankin on December 7, 2004 at 9:57 am

It may simply be that businessmen don’t see things ‘in the public eye’ as we theatre buffs do. To them it is likely just a financial investment that may or may not pan out; they may have no real love of theatres since it may be just a business venue to them. In such cases, the owners usually do NOT want too much public exposure aside from publicity for their eventual business, and publicity for that is usually just traditional advertising. They don’t want ‘volunteers’ or others not legally connected with their place tromping about and possibly getting into things, or relating any code violations they might discover (there are often code violations in a large project that inspectors may miss. If customers are fewer than wished, attitudes may change for the better.

bzemanbz
bzemanbz on December 7, 2004 at 9:15 am

I’m just wondering. Unlike the “Friends of the Loew’s” or “Friends of the Byod” (in Philly) or even the “St. George” in SI, the work on the Paradise seems so mysterious. There is no advertising anywhere that I can find. There’s no website to show the restoration progress or enlist potential volunteers. No nuttin'. Why? If the place is “supposed to open” in six months you’d think the owners would be champing at the bit to bring such an elaborate and expensive project before the public. I ask again, why all the clandestinity??

Divinity
Divinity on December 3, 2004 at 11:32 am

Since the theatre is still a hard hat area, tours are not allowed. By the summer of 2005 I suppose that everything will be finished (unless the completion is stalled for some reason).

Peter
Peter on December 2, 2004 at 4:50 pm

It is great to see the Paradise is being restored and reopened!! My Mom went there as a child.I wanted to to go by the theatre this Fri or Saturday.

Does anyone know if the theatre is “open” during the restoration phase. If people wanted to look around inside the theatre? It would be GREAT one could look around inside the Grand Palace as she is being fixed up!

Peter

Ziggy
Ziggy on December 2, 2004 at 7:09 am

Is the figure of the dragon going to be restored to the clock? Will there be anyone I can contact regarding getting inside when I return to New York this summer?

Divinity
Divinity on December 1, 2004 at 12:11 am

One could only hope that this happens in the near future!

Ziggy
Ziggy on November 30, 2004 at 7:17 am

With all the care and money going into the restoration, it would not be much of a step to restore the fish pond. One would think that cast concrete could be used to replicate the original stone or plasterwork, and then marbleized to match the statuary. Conrad Schmidt, or the studio that was used when this restoration began (a local New York company, I forget the name) would certainly know how to do this.

stevebob
stevebob on November 29, 2004 at 5:11 am

Speaking of signage … does anyone know when or why the north-facing rooftop sign was removed?

Divinity
Divinity on November 28, 2004 at 10:39 pm

Correction:

“Because this area is dangerously high above the sidewalk, a recessed area below the ballustrade became the marquee which was more tasteful than the signage above”

When I mentioned the signage above, I was speaking of the signage in the photograph above, which covered the now exposed ballustrade.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on November 27, 2004 at 6:09 pm

Although nobody will admit it, there is a mistake on the large mural in the Loews Lincoln Square theatre in Manhattan. It is a painting of many of the old Loew’s palaces like the Valencia, Kings, etc. There is a Paradise Theatre pictured there, with a conventional marquee, however it is not the Loews Paradise in the Bronx, but the Paradise in Chicago, which was a Balaban & Katz/Publix-Paramount theatre. Many people who have seen it (the painting) assume it’s the Bx Paradise, as did the artist, apparently. Several people I know recently journeyed northward to the Bronx to see THE Paradise for the first time, and when they came back they were all in a frenzy – “they tore the marquee off the front of it!”. When I say it never had a marquee, just flat signs on the wall, they tell me that the painting in Lincoln Square shows it with a marquee.

Divinity
Divinity on November 27, 2004 at 4:31 pm

Because of zoning restrictions, the Paradise never had a conventional marquee. Originally the lettering was placed within the sunburst underneath the clock and Loews Paradise sign in the hole below white area. You can still see where the once illuminated sunburst was painted over, both in close up photographs and in person. Because this area is dangerously high above the sidewalk, a recessed area below the ballustrade became the marquee which was more tasteful than the signage above. The last marquee was put where the signage above was and only portruded about one or two feet off the building. Unfortunately the area below the ballustrade was damaged because of this most recent marquee as you can see in recent photos.
There was never a standard marquee. Perhaps you are thinking of one of our sister theaters such as Loews Jersey which has a similar exterior.

RobertR
RobertR on November 27, 2004 at 3:09 pm

Did the Paradise ever have a conventional marquee or was it always flat? I saw an old picture somewhere that appeared to be of the standard variety.

Divinity
Divinity on November 27, 2004 at 2:57 pm

Edwin,
The progress continues!!!
Crew workers have almost finished steam cleaning and grouting the teracota facade and it looks absolutely marvelous.
Three beautiful carpet samples have been chosen to grace the lobby and auditorium, while the bathrooms have been upgraded with new fixtures, marble countertops and floors.
However, the fishpool for the fountain will not be restored. Since it was destroyed when Loews installed a concession stand in front of the fixture, the statuary will be preserved and the area where the pool once was will be carpeted.

edster
edster on November 24, 2004 at 8:32 pm

Greetings all. As a kid growing up in the Bronx, I remember several great theatres being available to me in the late 70’s within three blocks. I lived at 2396 Morris Avenue. RKO, Valentine and Lowe’s Paradise were regular stops for me as a kid. “The Lowes” was my favorite. I clearly remember grand ceilings, the simulated stars and the various busts and gargoyles somewhat more than the movies I saw there. I think the last thing I saw there was “Rattle and Hum” of all things.

Later, I ended up moving out to Jersey City. I remember the first time I got off the train at Journal Square I definitely recall looking across the street and seeing the Lowe’s Jersey City. I only suspected it’s pedigree but later I would find out it was the little sister of the theatre I grew up in the shadow of. It made me feel comfortable in my new home to know that some of the same history I grew up with had touched this place. I was happy to see that it was being (slowly) restored. I hadn’t been back to the old neighborhood for several years and I literally wept when I read the first several posts in this newsgroup. I had kind of assumed that something as grand as the Lowe’s paradise would be preserved by the Historical Society. What else is a historical society for if not to preserve awe inspiring things for future generations?

Thankfully I read on to the point were the restoration of the Lowe’s Paradise was discussed. Further, the seeming commitment by Mr. Lieblich to tenderly handle this gem really touched me. You guys brought a smile back to my face. In this time of so many disappointing things (elections, wars, congress etc. The list goes on and on) it is really nice to see that someone seems to care about craftsmanship and history.

Other than the fine folks who have been keeping the vigil over this American temple since 2002. To all of you. Thank you.

Pardon any spelling or grammar errors

beardbear31
beardbear31 on November 16, 2004 at 6:24 pm

Well I suppose the hole could represent the hole in the ozone layer….. :–)

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on November 15, 2004 at 6:31 am

So much for it’s atmospheric qualities…

Divinity
Divinity on November 14, 2004 at 2:54 pm

No Warren, I dont believe heavenly spirits would roam a theatre that is adorned with pagan statuary.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 14, 2004 at 7:41 am

Divinity, is that hole in the ceiling designed for easy access by heavenly spirits?

Divinity
Divinity on November 13, 2004 at 11:01 pm

The hole in the ceiling has not been covered, although it is not as large as I thought it would be. The restoration of the auditorium is breathtaking and if one sits in the balcony, it shouldnt be a distraction.

Divinity
Divinity on November 6, 2004 at 9:06 pm

I agree beardbear. If you know of any groups planning to restore our sister movie palace, please tell us. I would love to contribute!

beardbear31
beardbear31 on November 6, 2004 at 8:59 pm

Great news, Divinity!! Now we should concentrate on the only “Wonder Theatre” that isn’t being saved, the Loew’s Kings. Let’s try and keep all 5 of these incredible theatres standing for future generations.

Divinity
Divinity on November 6, 2004 at 8:19 pm

Fabulous news everyone!
As I was driving down the Grand Concourse today I stopped at a red light by the Paradise and noticed that the scaffolding was put up again. The workers already have steam cleaned a section of the building to the right of the clock. It looks wonderful, and it is very interesting to compare the clean verses the dirty side. Honestly speaking, most of of the ballustrades, urns, and other adornment on the exterior are actually highlighted by the accumulated soot on the exterior. I will almost miss the aged European look although the terra cotta is starting to shine again. Overall, progress continues!!!