Showing 701 - 725 of 741 comments
Was this theatre once a member of the Radio-Keith-Orpheum Circuit? Painted across the west side wall is a faded sign bearing the RKO lightning bolt logo.
From the early 1920’s thru the mid-1950’s Altus had four movie houses, one on each side of the town square. In 1970 one of these theatres was converted into the Dollhouse Cinema, but I don’t know the original name.
Plaza management was noted for hiring handsome, muscular young men for their doorman and usher staff. Uniforms were custom altered to insure a snug fit.
Constructed as the main attraction of a shopping center complex the Olde Tyme Twin Cinema was purpose built to showcase vintage Hollywood films. Auditorium one featured silent movies, auditorium two presented 30’s, 40’s, & 50’s (mostly musical) classics.
By the mid 80’s VCR video tape releases had put this sweet little cinema out of business.
I know Keith/Albee/Orpheum Circuit bought this theatre a few years after it opened. In what year did they rename it Orpheum?
After the Yale closed the First Baptist Church bought many of the theatre seats to install in the sanctuary balcony.
The First Christian Church bought the pipe organ, fixtures, and stage lights.
First Baptist built a new sanctuary 1971, but a few of the original Yale chairs still exist today in their educational buidling.
Where do some of these people get their facts?
Obviously this theatre opened in 1919 as the Cook theatre. Lower left corner of the Orpheum Bldg contains an engraved cornerstone that clearly states this theatre opened in 1919 as the Cook Theatre, Leon B. Senter, architect.
Along the building top are are molded letters spelling out COOK THEATRE.
Wonder if there are any historic “goodies” hidden inside that cornerstone?
Other OKC theatres that held 2200+ seating capacity were the 1903 Overholser Opera House (seating reduced during 1919 remodel), 1901 Delmar Garden Theatre, and the 1928 Market Theatre.
Several towns built civic auditoriums with seating capacity exceeding 2200.
Salina’s The Movies 1 & 2 opened in summer of 1971. This was the first cinema franchised from the home office based in Oklahoma City. The very first The Movies 1 & 2, opened 1969 in Altus, OK, was corporate owned.
Cactus Jack’s details in paragraph four describes the Baroque lobby of The Movies. Those mentioned nickelodeon slides were projected onto a small screen above the concession stand.
Also in the lobby was a faux Victrola that played (recorded) theatre organ music. This same music would be played during intermission inside the auditoriums. One particular organ song entitled “Granpa’s Spells” was a favorite amoung patrons, and they would request it, not realizing that the pipe organ was acctually a long magnetic tape reel.
In this group of vintage Purcell photos can be seen (top picture) an old time theatre, perhaps it was the Ritz or Dooley—-
In this group of vintage photos can be seen in the top picture a theatre, perhaps it is an image of the Dooley or Ritz-
The Movies Franchise opened their first theatre in 1969 in Altus, OK. Altus Movies 1 & 2 were built inside existing retail space at an established shopping center. Each auditorium held 200 seats, auditorium 1 had been an H & S Green Stamp Redemption Store, and auditorium 2 was a former billiard supply store and pool hall.
As written above, this twin cinema was designed to look like an old fashioned nickelodeon with a decor as described above.
Web pages do change and here is an updated address for above mentioned site.
This color postcard has a 1950’s view of the old Tulsa Theatre.
Some sources claim that Tulsa Theatre and Main Street Cinema were both the same movie house. This picture postcard destroys that theory, as the former Main Street Cinema sat (photo right) between Crown Drugs and JC Penney’s, and Tulsa Theatre is clearly across the street from that location,
The middle postcard has an image of the Majestic Theatre, photo left.
Under the heading “Main Street, Circa 1929” can be seen (photo left) the Lyric Theatre. This photo is fuzzy so even though the marquee and upright sign are visible, they are not legible,
Also in this image is the Gayety Theatre.
I just noticed that in the above reproduction can also be seen the corner Lyric Theatre (photo right), upright sign and marquee are clearly visible, though not legible.
Under the title “Main Street, Circa 1929” can be seen a fuzzy image of the Uptown when it was still known as Gayety. As can be seen, by ‘29 this area was alreayd tough and seedy, including the shown theatre.
On above mentioned Tulsa Library/BFC Collection, good images of the Majestic, New Orpheum, and RITZ can be seen under listings for “4th & Main”, and (of course) under “Ritz Theatre”.
To look at a 1940 picture of Tulsa’s Main Street Cinema look under the heading “2nd & Main” on the below web site,
Main Street Cinema is the white structure nestled between Crown Drug and JC Penney.
Also see El Caro Theatre in El Reno, OK, that was sister theatre to the Inca. Although exterior treatments were slightly different, the two interiors were identical. Myrna Louise wrote good descriptive passage that would apply to both movie houses.
On the link below all three Yvon Maheiu photographs show recent images of the Stovall Theatre ruins. Click on each photo to supersize,
A recent snapshot of the Crown Theatre can be found on below link,
This web page contains two photos of downtown El Reno, click on either one for a supersize view. Rightside of the first image has a good view of the Tiffany Cinema. The second image has an image of the Ashbrook Store, housed in the former El Caro Theatre, which was a sister house to Okmulgee’s Inca Theatre.
Offered here for your approval is a recent Jackie Yandle photograph of the Orpheum Theatre. In this shot one can get a glimse of the colorful terra-cotta lobby.
Shown on this web page is a 1904 architectural drawing for Muskogee Opera House (AKA-Broadway Theatre). During the construction faze the hotel portion had been redesigned into Hunt’s Department Store,
The school sketch opened as Washington Grammar School and burned to the ground in early 1950.