Fox Venice Theater

620 Lincoln Boulevard,
Venice, CA 90291

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 20, 2005 at 6:06 pm

I moved to Los Angeles in 1984. I saw a screening of the film “Streetwise” at the Fox Venice in 1985, which was a film about homeless teens in Seattle. I think the theater closed not too long after that.

jmarellano
jmarellano on January 30, 2005 at 11:07 pm

There is remnants of the old theatre still when you visit. The concession area lighting and moulding is there, all the ceiling moulding in the auditorium remains, and much much more.

Butchstone
Butchstone on January 24, 2005 at 11:37 pm

I am 60. I spent many a Sat. afternoon at the Fox Venice in the late 50’s and early 60’s. I remember going to see I Want to Live with my parents one evening.

Butch Stone, Jan 24, 2005.
Knoxville, TN

forlawson
forlawson on December 29, 2004 at 3:48 am

I’m 59. I spent my teenage years in Venice. The Venice Fox was one of my favorite theatres. It had a separate room in the back for mothers with babies. I saw “Westside Story” there. It seems like a lot of well heeled intellectuals live nearby now. They should restore it somehow. It should be designated a historical landmark. It could be made the focal point of an upscale shopping experience.

RMurrow
RMurrow on November 4, 2004 at 5:52 pm

Dear Fox Venice Fans,

I have been enjoying reading your comments regarding the Fox Venice!

As President of Cumberland Mountain Theaters, Inc. during the heyday of theatrics at the Fox – 1973-1979 – I had the great joy of working with our large crew of film lovers and showfolks who worked so hard to develop the daily-change repertory cinema format in Los Angeles.

I will not try to provide corrections or a chronology here, but will direct you to several web pages with a lot of information.

First do visit the Virtual Venice site at http://www.virtualvenice.info/and explore it for a number of mentions of the Fox Venice and the history of Venice Beach.

A very nice article there on the history of the Fox is at http://www.virtualvenice.info/media/fvt.htm

A related story from a 1978 Free Venice Beachhead is at http://www.virtualvenice.info/media/tale.htm

Some of you may know that some of the Single Wing Turquiose Bird light show folks were very involved, and we have a site for it at http://www.swtb.info – be sure to see the link there to the pOoterLand article about the SWTB, which discusses the Fox.

Reading your comments took me right back to a magic time quite a number of years ago! May the best of those vibes resonate forever!

Cheers,

Rol Murrow

dispar
dispar on September 30, 2004 at 2:41 pm

I remember regularly riding my bike from Mar Vista (and I never was harrassed) from 1979 – 1981 to see movies at the Fox Venice. I loved the design of the theater, it’s great double features, inexpensive admission tickets, and large selections of hot teas at the concession stand.

It’s very sad that contemporary audiences (except in select major cities) will probably never see movies in these single screen majestic palaces. They can’t imagine the experiences they’re missing.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on March 10, 2004 at 6:16 pm

Was there anywhere else where you could see “The Godfather” and then a trailer for “Dawn of the Dead”? A truly amazing, groundbreaking venue that defined what a revival house should be. In it’s heyday it was incredibly popular. Only the Beverly Cinema comes anywhere near it today.

edward
edward on March 10, 2004 at 4:38 pm

A link for the Fox Discount Store (former Fox Venice Theatre):

edward
edward on March 10, 2004 at 4:34 pm

The Fox Venice continues as an indoor swap meet. Very little of the original theatre remains although the ceiling dome is there and the vertical sign remains without the name and neon. The closest cinemas are now in Marina del Rey or Santa Monica.

XvXMatthewXvX
XvXMatthewXvX on March 10, 2004 at 2:47 pm

If anyone has a direct contact with the owner/leasee of the theater please contact me at , I’m involved with a business opportunity and I’m looking for space – Thanks – Matt

allmmm
allmmm on November 27, 2003 at 4:20 am

EDIT: (I wish). That should be The Cumberland Mountain Film Company and not The Cumberland Mountain Group. My apologies.

allmmm
allmmm on November 27, 2003 at 3:23 am

Remember the monthly Fox Venice Calendar printed with the films/events for each day of the month and their description?
As for the owners, in the mid 1970’s the monthly revival calendar listed The Cumberland Mountain Group, and I seem to remember the Landmark chain took over the theater in the later 70’s. At the time, I was concerned that the Fox Venice would become more like the Nuart and it did slightly, but overall was of good character.
btw, correct me if I’m wrong.
I’ve been looking for info on the Net about The Cumberland Mountain Group. Was hoping someone might scan and post a vintage copy of the
Fox Venice Calendar/Cumberland on a webpage too.

Dejael
Dejael on November 13, 2002 at 3:33 am

I’ll never forget going to the Fox Venice to see a science fiction film festival there in 1975. A good time was had by all as it was around the time of the Filmex show and there were a lot of sci-fi and Star Trek fans in town and we all had a blast. I love its marquee and tower – and would love to see the colorful neon at night in all its glory – as I recall, the stars would flash up and down in sequence. A proper monument to cinema.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on December 27, 2001 at 7:52 pm

This was one of the Landmark chain’s original theaters, although I think its programming policy predated Landmark’s acquisition.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, when I lived there, the Fox Venice showed a different double feature every day — generally classic Hollywood films, foreign films, and obscure art films. The programming policy was very similar to Landmark’s Nuart theatre a few miles away in West LA.